PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q's

Big Kahuna
December 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Hi guys.Ive been reading lots about EFILive and purchased the scan only tool a couple of weeks back. Im about to update to the tune tool as well this arvo.

I have a couple of newbie q's.

I have a VYSS M6 holden that has the following mods.
222/224 112 Comp Cam, 25 pulley 84mm Starr t/b.
4-1 headers, hi flo cats and 3.5" exhaust.

It has been tuned already but HP tuners was used. Not sure if its a custom OS but if I've read correctly, FC and HP arent compatible and I cant tune my current pcm. Its a pretty good tune but I am pretty sure there is some more HP and soem other tweeaks with idle to be had in there.

I have two spare pcms one of which has a stock VY SS A4 program in it that is out of a mates car.

1. If I were to use this pcm and update it with a Custom O/S from FC, will I be able to sucessfully change the vin # to my original and get it all linked up properly. I was thinking of loading a base 04 M6 GTS tune that is already using a FC custom OS and tweaking it from there as required.

2. Does the EFILive licence link to the PCM or the vin. Obviously I dont want to waste a licence by doing the above pcm swap (if its indeed possible)

3. I can read other vehicles tunes and download them without having to worry about licencess cant I?

Sorry for the newbie q's but Ive been reading this forum now for almost 2 weeks straight and Im getting square eyes. I just had spinal surgery, so time is on my side for a while.

Cheers. Grant

Tordne
December 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Grant,

If your Operating System is stock then both EFILive and other tools should be able to make changes to the calibration.

The EFI license is tied to the PCM ID not the VIN, so each unique PCM you use will require 1 PCM license.

You can read PCM calibrations from any supported vehicle and this does not incur a license usage. A licene is only required when you want to perform a write/flash operation to that PCM.

Hope all is going well with your recovery!! Read and ask questions, that's how we have all learned this black art :)

Cheers,

joecar
December 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Grant, get well soon.

Cheers,
Joe
:cheers:

Big Kahuna
December 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys for the fast replies.

So if the tune I have now isnt done with a custom OS (hptuners) then I can adjust the calibration as I want/need. Great.

Joe, the back job was a laminectomy. Been 4 weeks today so Im well on the way to mending, but thanks for the best wishes anyhow.

Did mention that EFILive rocks!! Im addicted.

Is there any way to tell what OS I have now with just the scan tool?

Tordne
December 14th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure if you attempt a read operation that it shows the OS # in that read window. I double check for ya cause the RoadRunner PCM doesn't work like the standard PCM.

Tordne
December 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I'm an idiot!! You specifically said Scan Tool :bash:

When you connect to the car on the bottom task bar there are some fields that include the VIN (or at least some of it if you have the default privatize VIN setting enabled). The 3rd number is your OS #.

Big Kahuna
December 14th, 2006, 05:03 PM
1270001. Has the Vin number then the transmission config then that number. Is that a customOS? God I hope not.

Just had a look at the tune file repository, and there are no matching OS number in there. Bugga.

Tordne
December 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM
It is definitely not a stock OS#... That is an EFILive Custom OS number as well, but doesn't correspond/replace an OS that will be in a Holden/HSV vehicle.

So you'll have to flash over that with EFILive Custom OS.

Tordne
December 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Just an FYI. The Stock OS# for VY SS should be 12225074 assuming you have a 512kb PCM. The EFILive Custom OS which replaces 12225074 is the 0129000x series.

TAQuickness
December 15th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Thanks guys for the fast replies.

So if the tune I have now isnt done with a custom OS (hptuners) then I can adjust the calibration as I want/need. Great.

Joe, the back job was a laminectomy. Been 4 weeks today so Im well on the way to mending, but thanks for the best wishes anyhow.

Did mention that EFILive rocks!! Im addicted.

Is there any way to tell what OS I have now with just the scan tool?

If it's a custom HPT OS then you'll have to start from scratch with a stock or EFILive custom OS.