PDA

View Full Version : Killed my pcm

Boosted GMC
December 16th, 2006, 06:08 PM
The power to my laptop was interupted during a full reflash. It didn't shut off but something happened when it switched to battery power. It was to the point where the yellow light had just come on, but I cant get it to do anything. I just get error messages one says not connected to pcm and one says cannot communicate with flashscan. Now my truck is setting in a hotel parking lot. Should I try to find another pcm or is there a procedure to recover it.:help2:

Blacky
December 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM
It does not sound good. :(

You can tell if your PCMis recoverable by watchign the yellow USB LED on FlashScan. If it is flashing around 4 times per second then it is recoverable - providing you do not remove battery power from your PCM.

If it is not flashing then chances are it is toast.

Regards
Paul

wait4me
December 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM
You say laptop power was interupted, Where you using a power inverter? You may have fried your cable if so.

If you send me your pcm i can fix it if no one can help you where you are at. Just cover shipping.

Boosted GMC
December 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I was using a targus empower I think its dc only. My radar detector was going off and when I went to unplug it I wiggled the laptop plug in. My laptop beeped and switched to battery power. Thats when the flash stalled. I have a pcm out of a 2002 truck but it's for a 4.3v6 and has a different service number. My v2 doesn't seem to like it I guess there is somthing different about the v6 pcm??

Blacky
December 16th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Ok, I assumed you were using V1.
If you have a V2, then switch on the ignition, then connect it to the vehicle (no laptop required) and see if "VPW" is displayed in the lower right corner of V2's LCD display. If so then the PCM is probably OK. If nothing shows up then its probably is toast.

I presume the V2 has not failed?

Regards
Paul

Tordne
December 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
How long had the traffic light in the flash window been yellow? I've had a full flash operation hang on a yellow light. Scared the shit out of me but I just did the process again and worked sweet.

A replacement PCM would have to be of the same type and memory size (i.e. 512kb or 1MB). The V6 PCM will likely be completely different.

You may want to reboot your PC if you haven't already to make sure that there is nothing holding the FlashScan interface locked or anything. Can you go to the FlashScan licensing screen in the Tune Tool incidentally and see the license count etc?

Good luck mate!

Blacky
December 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
And it definitely won't allow you to start the full-flash again? The EFILive reflashing program (bootloader) will stay active in the PCM until battery power is removed from the PCM (or until the full flash is successful). So if you have not removed battery power from the PCM you should still be able to restart the full-flash option (assuming the V2 unit is not damaged).

Regards
Paul

Boosted GMC
December 16th, 2006, 11:00 PM
The second light from the right flashes at least 4 times per second. The farthest one to the right flashes when the computer attemps to communicate. I don't see any vpw lit up. It definitely wont allow me to start the flash again. The battery has not been disconnected and has not gone dead. Should I tow it in and try my desktop or just get a pcm and flash it with my original tune. I don't remember seeing a vpw in the display when it was working, but I could have missed it. Is there a description somewhere that tells which Led is which and what they are for?

Blacky
December 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM
The second light from the right flashes at least 4 times per second.
That LED is the OBD LED I was referring to. The Flashing indicates that the PCM is alive and welland is just in a mode that we call "deadpoll". Deadpoll means the PCM has either no valid calibration or no valid operating system.

Unless there is a failure with the EFILive software, your laptop or the FlashScan device, there should be no reason why you cannot recover that PCM by performing a full flash again.

What is the FlashScan Firmware you have in your V2? You can view the firmware version under the option: F4->F1->F1, then scroll down with the down arrow key to see the Firmware version and the bootblock version numbers.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
December 16th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Is there a description somewhere that tells which Led is which and what they are for?

From left to right:
1: Not used during general operation.
2: Not used during general operation.
3: Blue: flashes when EFILive transmits a keep-alive message to the PCM to maintain a particular diagnostic mode.
4: Orange: OBD LED, flashes each time a message is sent or received between FlashScan and a vehicle.
5: Green: USB LED, flashes each time a message is sent or received between FlashScan and a PC.

Regards
Paul

Rhino79
December 17th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I have had something similar happen to me on a vehicle I was tuning, and I unchecked the high speed box at the top left of the screen where you start the flash, and it fixed it. Hope you get it going.

Boosted GMC
December 17th, 2006, 04:22 AM
What is the FlashScan Firmware you have in your V2? You can view the firmware version under the option: F4->F1->F1, then scroll down with the down arrow key to see the Firmware version and the bootblock version numbers.

Regards
Paul
The firmware is ver: 2.04.38 date: 08 Nov 2006

TAQuickness
December 17th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Welcome to the forum Boosted GMC.

Sounds like these guys are on the right track to get your squared away.

Tordne
December 17th, 2006, 06:37 AM
So how is everything looking this morning?

.40 is the latest firmware release BTW, but I'm not sure if you also might need the latest software build to run this firmware as well.

Boosted GMC
December 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I got it running. Before I started tuning with efi live I took my truck and that v6 pcm and had the latest updates flashed into them both. The efi live wouldn't work on the v6 pcm for some reason. I guess it has some way to know it was not originally a gen III pcm?? I gave up on my pcm and put the V6 pcm in it that had a stock 4.8 calibration in it and my vin number. Well it ran like poo and my dioblo was still under the seat so I put my performance turbo tune back in it. I cant beleive it worked must be vin locked?? Now I am back where I started from. I plan to send my pcm to wait4me and get it fixed. Now my efi live seems to work, but I will wait untill I have a spare pcm before I try it again.