PDA

View Full Version : AutoVE

Chevy366
December 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Need a little help here , I just got my LC-1 W/B installed and working , was doing the AutoVE tutorial , got to the last and am confused , the tutorial states save the file as AutoVE_0000.tun , but then says preform a calibration only with SDAutoTune_0000.tun , where did this file come from ?
I am assuming that the data loged with the LC-1 is used to modify the SDAutoVE.tun that was created at the first of the tutorial , and then labled AutoVE_0000.tun .

EFILive AutoVE Tutorial EFILive V7 Scan and Tuning Tool
7. Hide all cells with a value of less than 50.
8. Select all cells in the table by clicking in the extreme top-left grey cell, then right
click and select Copy with labels (Shift+Ctrl+C).
9. Switch back to the EFILive Tuning Tool.
10. Open calibration {B0101} "Main VE Table".
11. Rigth click on any cell and select Paste->Paste and multiply with labels.
12. If you are tuning a 1999 or 2000 operating system then repeat steps 3 to 11 to
copy/paste the VE data from map [B] to the {B0103} “Backup VE Table”.
13. Save your tune as:
My Documents\EFIlive\V7\Bins\AutoVE_0000.tun
14. Peform a calibration only reflash of SDAutoTune_0000.tun into the PCM.
15. If necessary repeat the steps in the previous section, Data logging and this
section until the average cell values in your BEN map(s) are close to 1.00 (aim
for +/- .01).

Tordne
December 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Looks like the filename is just incorrect. It is basically a rinse, repeat process until you are satisfied that the BENs are as good as you can get them.

Chevy366
December 17th, 2006, 06:48 AM
I am also working with custom OS3 and a 5 wire MAF , I did not remove the wires from the MAF so as to have the IAT still , am I getting good data this way or should the MAF be disconnected ?
Not much info on the 5 wire MAF in the AutoVE Tutorial .

Thanks

TAQuickness
December 17th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Good catch TunedbyGM. I will get it updated in the near future.

As for the MAF, check your DTC's. If you have p0101, p0102, and/or p0103, the PCM has detected the MAF failure and you're in SD. The step for unplugging the MAF guarantees the MAF will fail and put you in SD.

Chevy366
December 17th, 2006, 07:12 AM

As for the MAF, check your DTC's. If you have p0101, p0102, and/or p0103, the PCM has detected the MAF failure and you're in SD. The step for unplugging the MAF guarantees the MAF will fail and put you in SD.

Thanks , will look and see if DTC's are there .

Chevy366
December 17th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Ok , does anyone know which pins are the IAT in a 5 wire GM cold wire MAF ?
The wires are , BLK , BRN , BLK/W , Y , and PK, I understand that the IAT is 5v so going to try and find which wire the 5v is .
It seems that three wires are + , - , F , and F is the square wave freq between - and F , and the the IAT is +(5v) , - .

Chevy366
December 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Well figured out that it is the Black and Brown that are the IAT in the 5 wire MAF .
Now MAF is unpluged and the PCM will not (how long does it take the PCM to DTC a failed MAF ?, setting is 2 seconds) DTC the MAF (Scan Tool shows 0 hz MAF Freq) and it stays in CL , nothing but P0102 , and P0103 DTC and I only get those if I set the values in MAF tables(C2901 etc ) to 0 hz not 1 hz , B3647 is at 14.8 and the PE is 14.6 .
Was in OL before trying the tutorial , with just Custom OS3 , with MAF .
So is there a different AutoVE for Custom OS's ?

TAQuickness
December 18th, 2006, 12:43 AM
There is not a seperate tutorial for performing AutoVE against a custom OS. From OS3 up, you will need to pay attention to B3647 as it's not the same table as found in OEM OS's or pre-OS3. In the case of B3647, I'd recomend, as a starting point only, setting the entire table to resemble the 90*C row from B3605 as described in the AutoVE tutorial. You can fine tune B3647 to your liking at anytime. I'll make a note of this and see what I can do to get into the tutorial.

Chevy366
December 18th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I thought that putting the B3647 table at that value would cause it to go into semi-open loop mode
with 2% fuel triming ?
WIll try and see what happens !

Tordne
December 18th, 2006, 07:14 AM
If you copy/paste that line it will cause it will equate to an EQ Ratio of 1.00 and invoke Semi-Open Loop. Perhaps change the 14.63:1 AFR to 14.7:1, and if using EQ Ratio change from 1.00 to 0.995 or something.

5.7ute
December 18th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I also set B3618 to 14.7 instead of 14.63.

Chevy366
December 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=Tordne]If you copy/paste that line it will cause it will equate to an EQ Ratio of 1.00 and invoke Semi-Open Loop. Perhaps change the 14.63:1 AFR to 14.7:1, and if using EQ Ratio change from 1.00 to 0.995 or something.[/QUOTE

I first used 14.7 , could not get it to go into OLSD mode , then tried 14.8 , the PCM would not trip the MAF fail , MAF completely unpluged and IAT working , with the setting in the tutorial , all I can get at best is MAF failures P0102 , P0103 , no P0101 , and no OL just CL , don't make sense .
Someone want to take a look and see , what if anything I may be doing wrong ?

Chevy366
December 18th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Changed B3647 and B3618 to over stoich , changed MAF fail hz to what tutorial states , turned off E0104 , trans was shifting hard .
Found out why no OL the tutorial says change B4205 to 122 that puts it in CL at 122 degrees so I set it to max value now in OL but still no P0101 DTC just P0102 and P0103.
Is there some reason why you want to be in CLSD (with NBO2 feedback) and not OLSD (no NBO2's feedback) ?
And if you get DTC codes P0102 and P0103 does that means you are in SD and the MAF has failed ?

Found the below on this site .

After the first time, all you need to do is kill the MAF (high freq. fail to 0 & high freq. fail limit to 1) and copy the high ocatne spark table to the low octane table. If you want to turn the SES light off after killing the MAF, you can...but you don't have to. You can turn off DFCO, but you don't have to. I prefer to leave it on and filter it out of my logged data.

At this point you're in CLSD (closed loop speed density), which means you still have LTFT's and STFT's trying to keep you at 14.63 unless PE kicks in. When tuning with a wideband, you need to get rid of these things. I prefer to leave PE enabled and set it to a single figure (like 12.2AFR across the board). Then in the Commanded Fuel In Open Loop table, command stoich (14.63) for all cells at all ECTs greater than 170* & less than 230*. To get rid of LTFT's, you disable them with {B3801}. STFT's are disabled by setting {B4205} Closed Loop Temp Enable to 256*.

Now, you're in OLSD (open loop speed density) and are ready to log (once your vehicle has been at operating temps for a few minutes). Proceed with the AutoVE tuning.

Once finished, re-enable the MAF settings (fail frequencies) and restore the low octane spark table. This will move you from OLSD to plain OL. You now need to tune the MAF. If you haven't already tuned the MAF, it's a good idea to increase the MAF table slightly (just like you did the first time with the VE table) as a safety precaution. Log your commanded AFR vs your WBO2 AFR for each MAF Frequency. The correction that needs to be made for each frequency is (WBO2_AFR/Comm_AFR). If you command 12.0 and read 13.0, you're lean - which means you need to increase the MAF table by 13/12 or 8.3% for that frequency. To dial it in closer, you can apply only half of the correction (4.2%) to avoid overshoot.

Once the MAF is done, restore the stock closed loop temp enable & commanded fuel in open loop tables, enable LTFTs, and set your PE where you want it. I think that's all there is to it. Enjoy!

Chevy366
December 19th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Is there some reason why you want to be in CLSD (with NBO2 feedback) for AutoVE tutorial and not OLSD (no NBO2's feedback) ?
And if you get DTC codes P0102 and P0103 does that means you are in SD and the MAF has failed ?

And is the above an accurate protrayal of a autove ?

Tordne
December 19th, 2006, 07:08 AM
P0101, P0102 and P0103 codes all indicate a MAF failure and mean your are in SD mode effectively.

CL allows trims to make corrections (should be small if AutoVE done well) that might allow for changes in weather, altitude.

I have been running in OLSD for almost 2 years and with the use of the A0014 table (IAT VE Multiplier) of COS3 to make VE table adjustments based on IAT temp. That seems to work VERY well IMO.

This is one of those things that people generally have a particular opinion on and you can really go either way and be pretty happy. Perhaps if you were doing cars for customers you'd probably put into CL mode. But for your own car lets face it, you have the laptop with you logging all the time ;)

Chevy366
December 19th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Trodne , sorry I meant to ask it this way .
Is there is a reason why you want to be in CLSD and not OLSD when doing the AutoVE tune .
Sorry for asking so many questions but , I get caught up in wanting to learn .

Tordne
December 19th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Questions are all good my friend!!!

The answer to this is very simple... Because in Closed Loop fuel trimming occurs there is no way to tune the VE Table.

A simple example would be this: If you happened to have a cell in the VE Table that was correct for 14.63:1 fueling and you added 2% to that value, you would expect the LTFT to just change from 0 -2% to compensate for your change. Basically the trims will be compensating for changes and you will not be able to effect things the way you need to.

The above also applied to Semi-Open Loop in COS3 & 5, which is why you need to command something other than 14.63:1 (14.7:1 for instance).

When in Open Loop fuel trimming does not occur so changes you make to VE will actually positively or negatively affect the actual fuel ratio you should measure with your wideband.

Make sense?

Cheers,

Chevy366
December 19th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Make sense to me , so why in the AutoVE tutorial did the author want you to go into CLSD ?
I have been running OL for the last 3 months , but just wanted to dial in my VE with the wideband .
A friend has HPTuners , he looked at the AutoVE tutorial for it , it is tit for tat the same but wants you to be in OLSD for wideband tuning.
I guess the tutorial is geared more to Holden , Commadors and cars , not trucks .
Although LS1 is LS1 , there are some suttle differences .
My thoughts were OLSD less crap messing with tune while logging wideband data , I found another write up on this site that validated that , so to ve or not to ve , that is the question .

Tordne
December 19th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Yup.. You don't want to tune VE in Closed Loop.

5.7ute
December 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Make sense to me , so why in the AutoVE tutorial did the author want you to go into CLSD ?
I have been running OL for the last 3 months , but just wanted to dial in my VE with the wideband .
A friend has HPTuners , he looked at the AutoVE tutorial for it , it is tit for tat the same but wants you to be in OLSD for wideband tuning.
I guess the tutorial is geared more to Holden , Commadors and cars , not trucks .
Although LS1 is LS1 , there are some suttle differences .
My thoughts were OLSD less crap messing with tune while logging wideband data , I found another write up on this site that validated that , so to ve or not to ve , that is the question .
I could not find anywhere in the tutorial where it says that you are to go into CLSD until after the auto ve process. If there is a typo somewhere you should post it up so that they can rectify the mistake.

Tordne
December 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I just checked (real quick) the Tutorial here and I agree. It definitely says Open loop during AutoVE, return to Closed Loop after...

Chevy366
December 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Straight from the tutorial from this site
9. Open calibration {B4205} "Closed Loop Temp Enable"
Select all cells by clicking in the extreme top-left, grey cell.
Enter 122 °C into the Adjust text box and click the [#] button.
That will set all cells’ values to 122 °C
I think this means CL will come in at 122 , crap Celisus .
Duh , my bad C not F , damn metric crap . :)

Tordne
December 19th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Phew :bash:

Chevy366
December 19th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I can't belive I did such a rookie mistake , but did learn quite a lot though .
Sorry everyone rambling idiot .:wave:

5.7ute
December 19th, 2006, 03:34 PM
At least you were questioning the mistake. Shows that you have learned something.

Garry
December 19th, 2006, 05:43 PM
But for your own car lets face it, you have the laptop with you logging all the time ;)
:lol: Or V2 hopefully soon with real-time display of the relevant PIDs ;) Or maybe even graphical display to show trends :) :wave:

TAQuickness
December 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I can't belive I did such a rookie mistake , but did learn quite a lot though .
Sorry everyone rambling idiot .:wave:

It's all part of the learning curve. Glad you got it sorted.

Chevy366
December 21st, 2006, 02:36 PM
Changed a couple of things , take a look !

Set up Open Loop, Speed Density
1. Upload the current calibration from your PCM.
Save 3 copies of your tune:
i. Original Tune.tun
ii. SDAutoVE.tun
iii. OrgBackUp.tun
2. Open the SDAutoVE.tun
Hint, to quickly find and display any calibration, enter the calibration ID
including the curly braces (i.e. {B0101})into the Navigator and click the
[Search] button.
3. Open calibration {B0101} ?Main VE Table?.
Enter 15 into the Adjust text box and click the [%] button.
This will increase all cells? values by 15%.
4. If you are tuning a 1999 or 2000 operating system, repeat step 3 for the {B0103}
?Backup VE Table?.
5. Open calibration {B3313} "DFCO Temp Enable"
Set it to 122 °C (283.9 F)
6. Open calibration {B3618} ?PE Modifier Based on RPM?
If the calibration is displayed as EQ Ratio then enter 1.0 into the Adjust text box
and click the [#] button to set all values to 1.0 EQ Ratio.
If the calibration is displayed as AFR then enter 14.63 into the Adjust text box
and click the [#] button to set all values to 14.63 AFR.

7. Hide all cells with a value of less than 50.
8. Select all cells in the table by clicking in the extreme top-left grey cell, then right
click and select Copy with labels (Shift+Ctrl+C).
9. Switch back to the EFILive Tuning Tool.
10. Open calibration {B0101} "Main VE Table".
11. Rigth click on any cell and select Paste->Paste and multiply with labels.
12. If you are tuning a 1999 or 2000 operating system then repeat steps 3 to 11 to
copy/paste the VE data from map [B] to the {B0103} ?Backup VE Table?.
13. Save your tune as:
My Documents\EFIlive\V7\Bins\AutoVE_0000.tun
14. Peform a calibration only reflash of AutoVE_0000.tun into the PCM.
15. If necessary repeat the steps in the previous section, Data logging and this
section until the average cell values in your BEN map(s) are close to 1.00 (aim
for +/- .01).
- 11 -
support@efilive.com www.efilive.com

8. Open calibration {B3801} "Long Term Fuel Trim Correction"
Set it to Disable.
9. Open calibration {B4205} "Closed Loop Temp Enable"
Enter 122 °C (283.9 F) into the Adjust text box and click the [#] button.
That will set all cells? values to 122 °C (283.9 F)
10. Open calibration {B0701} "Catalytic Converter Protection Enable"
Set it to Disable.
If you have cats, and get crazy on your drive, you may overheat and
damage the cats.
11. Open calibration {B5913} "Spark High-Octane Table"
Right click on any cell and select Copy (Ctrl+C)
Open calibration {B5914} "Spark Low-Octane Table"
Right click in the top left cell and select Paste->Paste (Ctrl+V)
If you upgrade your PCM to EFILive?s Speed Density custom operating
system, step 11 is not required. EFILive?s Speed Density operating
system restored dual spark map and full adaptive spark control when
running MAF-less.
12. Open calibration {C6002} " Engine DTC MIL Enablers"
Set P0101, P0102, and P0103 to No MIL.
13. Open calibration {C2901} ?MAF High Frequency Fail 1"
Set it to 1 Hz.
14. Open calibration {C2902} ?MAF High Frequency Fail 2"
Set it to 1 Hz.
If calibration {C2902} is not available in the operating system that you are using,
then ignore this step.
15. Open calibration {C2903} ?MAF High Frequency Fail Limit"
Set it to 1.
16. Pop the hood and unplug the MAF sensor (see note)
Note: If your MAF has a 5-pin plug, your IAT sensor is built into the
MAF.
You will need to make provisions to get the IAT signal into the PCM.
Various write-up?s on this can be found at:
www.efilive.com and www.ls1tech.com
5 pin MAF with black , brown , black/white , yellow , pink wires should use the black , brown for IAT .
IMPORTANT NOTE : People with Automatic Transmission should go to {E0104} and set P0101 , P0102 , P0103 to "no" this will keep PCM from increasing Transmission pressure .
17. Save this tune and perform a calibration only reflash of this file into your PCM.

TAQuickness
December 28th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure I caught all your suggested changes. Any chance you could edit your post and bold font your changes?

Chevy366
December 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM
There .

NewV
December 28th, 2006, 08:03 AM

So if I only get p0103 DTC code does that mean I am in SD? That is the only code I am getting.

Also my SAE.MAF is logging but GM.MAF is not, this is with the MAF plugged in as it is a 5 plug unit.

TAQuickness
December 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM
If you're getting P0103, you're in SD (should be anyway). Easy check, zero out your MAF table. If the engine won't start, you're not in SD.

TAQuickness
December 28th, 2006, 08:17 AM
There .

Thanks.

I added the unit conversions per an earlier request from Elmer.

Picked up on your trans pressure notes. But, I'm not planning to add the details behind the MAF wiring to this tutorial. Perhaps you could help me with a seperate write up for that. We'd need to verify the wiring across all years with a 5 wire MAF.

Chevy366
December 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM
So if I only get p0103 DTC code does that mean I am in SD? That is the only code I am getting. Yep , your in SD . What I found out is , if any of the three are present then you are indeed in SD .
Also my SAE.MAF is logging but GM.MAF is not, this is with the MAF plugged in as it is a 5 plug unit.

Yep , your in SD . What I found out is , if any of the three (P010x) are present then you are indeed in SD .
I was lucky I had a factory GM Fog Lamp harness laying around and used a 2 pin female connector from it as well as two male pins and connected just the IAT of the MAF , I don't think you really need to do that but heck I had the stuff so made sure .

TAQuickness
December 28th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Also, according to my converter, 122* C = 251.6* F

How did you do your conversion? Or are you just looking at setting to a max value?

Chevy366
December 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks.

Picked up on your trans pressure notes. But, I'm not planning to add the details behind the MAF wiring to this tutorial. Perhaps you could help me with a seperate write up for that. We'd need to verify the wiring across all years with a 5 wire MAF.

Great , the conversion addition might help a few people like myself who view the world in Imperial values (Elmer's :) )or least make someone stop and confirm the values .
Will see if I can find out about the 5 wire MAF , I can ask a GM tech from another site to confirm the MAF across all years .

Cheers
GM

Chevy366
December 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Also, according to my converter, 122* C = 251.6* F

How did you do your conversion? Or are you just looking at setting to a max value?
Max values .

Chevy366
December 29th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks.

The only reason I went so far as to isolate the IAT from the MAF is I was still getting MAF frequency readings , and was afraid that the MAF might still be influencing the AutoVE .