PDA

View Full Version : Shipment stuck in U.S. Customs ?!

Dreamin
April 23rd, 2005, 07:34 AM
UPS international just left me a message... say they need clarifications on the "Description of Goods". And they are closed until Monday.

Do I say it's software? Auto parts?

Does this happen often??

So much for my $36 "Overnight to US" shipping charge. :(

SinisterSS
April 23rd, 2005, 07:52 AM
This doesn't directly answer your question - looks like 2% import duty.

http://www.efilive.com/store.html#US

Blacky
April 23rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
UPS international just left me a message... say they need clarifications on the "Description of Goods". And they are closed until Monday.

Do I say it's software? Auto parts?

Does this happen often??

So much for my $36 "Overnight to US" shipping charge. :(

It is frustrating and I can sympathise with your situation.
Even though UPS International sent you the message it is most likely not UPS holding the package, it's Customs. However, If it turns out that it is UPS holding it and not customs then you are entitled to a refund on your shipping. Can you send me your tracking number to paul@efilive.com and I'll follow it up.

Anyway it is
Automotive diagnostic quipment
or
Computer software and cables

It's your choice, use whichever description gets it out of customs faster/cheaper.

I do not know how often US customs stops EFILive shipments. It seems to be a bit "hit and miss" (and more miss than hit). It appears to be about 1% or 2% of shipments.

We have complained to UPS a number of times that overnight is not really overnight if customs holds the package. The response from UPS is that once customs stops a package the "overnight" gaurantee no longer applies.

We are working with UPS to obtain a hormonized code for EFILive so that customs clearances around the world will soon be a lot smoother.

We are trying to keep our "shipment warnings" page up to date with all the potential importing problems around the world. But it is tough getting current/accurate information out of customs offices around the world.

For example:
I travelled with one EFILive package in my carry-on luggage to Australia and Customs there would not let me bring it into the country unless I paid them a "formal entry fee" of about $50 plus GST of $50. The stupid thing was I was not allowed to pay them directly, I had to engage a customs broker which was going to cost me another $100 fee. And the customs brokers weren't available that day which meant a round trip to the airport the following day of over 100km. Chalk up another $100 for a taxi.

So to import a package worth $500 was going to cost me $300 extra.
Needless to say, I sent the package back to NZ and did not import it. When I got home I just mailed it to Australia.

Paul

dbaxter_ss
April 23rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Man that had to be frustrating.

If anything I unfortunately found out that the airport xray machines wont hurt the flashscan. I left my flashscan with cables in my laptop bag after working on it the previous day. Went through just fine, I was more worried about the stupid check point confiscating it then making it through the xray machine.

luckily I have so many other electronic gadgets they ignored it.

Blacky
April 23rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
If anything I unfortunately found out that the airport xray machines wont hurt the flashscan.

Most of my development FlashScan units have been through x-ray - I presume all FlashScan units shipped to the US are xrayed as well.

Another interesting test we conducted was freezing the FlashScan units and making sure they continued to operate when thawed out - to simulate some US winters. :) They continue to work after freezing and thawing.
Paul

Blacky
April 23rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
I was more worried about the stupid check point confiscating it then making it through the xray machine.
luckily I have so many other electronic gadgets they ignored it.

Ross gave me a PCM to take home one day, on it he had written
"Don't connect the wires up the wrong way or it will blow up".

The x-ray machine operators are suspicious of any sealed metal box that they cannot "see" into, let alone one that say it "might blow up". I had to do some fast talking. They still got the explosives sniffer device out to check for any explosive/chemical residues.

Paul

GMPX
April 23rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Ross gave me a PCM to take home one day, on it he had written
"Don't connect the wires up the wrong way or it will blow up".

The x-ray machine operators are suspicious of any sealed metal box that they cannot "see" into, let alone one that say it "might blow up". I had to do some fast talking. They still got the explosives sniffer device out to check for any explosive/chemical residues.

Paul

Remember it had a bunch of wires hooked up too, twisted around just like those Hollywood bombs do.
I figured that would be a rubber glove inspection for sure :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Ross

Dreamin
April 23rd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks Blacky for the through response. Somehow it makes you feel better when the vendor gets more upset than the customer :)

When i call the number it says "UPS Customhouse Brokerage in Loiusville, Kentucky"... one of the IVR options gets you to the main UPS #, so i think it is UPS?!

I sent you an email.