PDA

View Full Version : New to EFI Live and RR

wickedred
December 20th, 2006, 02:59 AM
I sold my HPTuners software and ordered the EFI Live and RoadRunner setup for my 2000 Z28 Turbo shop car. I plan to use the RR PCM full time. I have a few quick questions.

Basic run down of the car:
-2000 Z28
- Built 370ci iron block
-Custom Front Mount TC76mm turbo setup
-TH400 w/ Yank 3000 Billet stall
-9 inch w3.25 gears

1) Is it best to use a 02 OS? If so how would I go about this? Found this one on my own...

2) IS there a sticky or set of instructions that will show me how to set everything up for SD tunning? (my car will be full time SD)

3) Anything special need to be done to go to 3Bar other than swaping the sensor?

4) Any other suggestions?

I know some of these questions are very basic. I just want to get a jump on this with the advice from the people who know.

Thanks

Doc
December 20th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Welcome to the forum. Out from the shadow world, and into the light
http://68.178.219.18/tutorials/Custom%20OS%20Upgrade%20Tutorial.pdf

wickedred
December 20th, 2006, 06:36 AM
#1-4 answered.

Thanks DOC.

TAQuickness
December 20th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the forum wickedred! Feel free to post up any other questions you may have.

wickedred
December 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys. I plan on becoming a fairly active member here. Lots to learn again and lots to tune. I change setup's alot.

Tordne
December 20th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Always lots to learn :) Welcome also!

wickedred
December 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Okay, I have been reading about the custom OS' and such. Being that I plan to run SD all the time and will need a 3 Bar OS, would it not be better to go straight into a custom OS from an 02 model yr, and set everything up for the 3 Bar SD tunning from the start?

I understand that I am going to have to change the cylinder volume from the get go so that the PCM relizes the engine is 370 cubes and not 346 cubes.

*On a side note the current HPTuners tune that is on the car now is pretty close. I spent considerable time tunning it in N/A while in SD and using a wideband. Would it not be wise to read that tune into EFI live and use it as my base line?

Tordne
December 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM
If you can run a 02 OS then that is absolutely worth while, as is going straight with COS3. This will restore the dual adaptive spark maps for you as well (High & Low Octane maps).

If your current tune "is close" then you can potentially use the values in a number of the tables. There may be extra (or missing) tables between an 00 and 02 OS though, or the tables may have different dimensions.

Is the HPT OS still the stock OS for the car, or is it a custom HPT OS? EFILive will not be able to do anything with it if it an HPT OS.

Cheers,

wickedred
December 21st, 2006, 02:26 AM
Its an HPT custom SD OS. Scratch that Idea. Just gonna go straight to the COS3. Strat from a blank sheet of paper and ease my way into the boost regions.

wickedred
December 23rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Well low and behold the plant has decided to run this weekend with one operator. That mean I have to work. Being in the maintenance dept. sucks one weekends like this.

On a good note. I have decided to spend the 12 hr shift reading everything there is to read in the tunning manual. I am even printing it out and going to make a nice 3 ring binder for it all.

Yes I am going to be bored as heck tonight.

Merry X-Mas everyone...

Tordne
December 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
Got to love those 12 hour shifts.. You will however be an expert after reading for that long :)

wickedred
December 23rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
What can I say, I am a geek :D . It gives me something to do thats productive at least. I read through probably a dozen tutorials for HPT and got the hang of it really quick. Hope it will be the same for EFI.:rockon:

wickedred
January 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Okay stupid question here.

I plan to run the RR PCM full time. When I first start off do I scan my factory PCM and then save that file, then pull out the factory PCM and put in the RR PCM, then write the factory tune to it?

Also when I leave the RR PCM in the car do I have to use the V2 EFI box when tunning or does the RR USB just get hooked up to the Laptop, Or are they both hooked up at the same time?

I am confused...

Tordne
January 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM
You. Basically you do this:
1. Read file out of current/stock PCM.
2. Install RoadRunner PCM.
3. Perform a full flash into the RoadRunner - your OS and calibration as starting point.
4. Fill your boots with the awesome tuning of the RoadRunner PCM :)

FlashScan (both V1 and V2) now take on a different role. The scanning/logging is still done via the FlashScan interface. Changes to the RoadRunner can only be done via the direct connect USB (or optional Bluetooth module). The only exception is if your RoadRunner is an early version that may also include a Flash chip, in which case you could flash that with FlashScan (but why would you :nixweiss:).

So you can have them both hocked up at the same time.

wickedred
January 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Thats what I thought.
-V2 to laptop used for scanning
-RR USB to laptop used for tunning via the EFI Live software.

I knew that was a stupid question...

Tordne
January 1st, 2007, 08:16 PM
Nothing stupid about that :)

wickedred
January 1st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Thnaks for the help. :D

Doc
January 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
First off, the only questions I have ever felt stupid about were the ones I had that someone else (HT) beat me to the punch asking about on this forum. So, in that vien I'll throw this up in the air...After getting comfortable with my RR in my car I started putting it in friends cars....Different OS's, calibrations, VINs....Is it just me or do I not have to go thru a "Whole new pcm\vehicle routine" each time? For example, CKP relearn, writing the new VIN for enhanced pids in the scanner, etc?

Tordne
January 2nd, 2007, 05:34 AM
If you were starting fro scratch each time perhaps... If you read the tune out of the existing PCM and loaded that in to the RoadRunner as a starting point I would expect VIN etc. to be retained.

TAQuickness
January 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Due to the unique relationship of the CKP data to the PCM and crank, I would think it's a good idea to perform a CKP relearn (CYA)

MICK
January 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
I have found that if you set the properties up in the tuning software to retain crank data and do a full read and copy to the road runner you are bretty good to go.

You really only need to do crank relearn when your using another base tune on a different engine.

Keep an eye on your vin number when pulling from a USA PCM, I have found there is a few strange things going on.

cheers

Mick

GMPX
January 3rd, 2007, 03:28 AM
Holden guys, Crank relearn is not needed. It's only used for misfire diagnostics, thankfully Holden never turned those on with the LS1.

Cheers,
Ross