PDA

View Full Version : vmware workstation 6 beta (works on vista) available

ringram
December 22nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Any sad types running vista64 and not having any hardware support can now take a look here http://www.vmware.com/community/ann.jspa?annID=262

Working fine so far for me. It also has USB2.0 support. Forget trying Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 Beta it doesnt even support any USB at all!

The vmware 6 workstation looks pretty cool. Has a built in importer too etc. Anyway enought ranting.

Tordne
December 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
VMware server works on Vista32, not sure about native 64bit though. Just run Vista 32bit on your laptop dude. Windows doesn't know what to do with the other 32 anyway :bash:

Man I am missing Vista and that extra CPU core :sad:

ringram
December 23rd, 2006, 12:56 AM
Nah Vista64 is cool. Has loads more security features. Like no driver support :(
Actually it uses a random offset for loading kernel modules into memory so buffers etc are never at the same place.
Plus pretty much unlimited ram support. Im going to run XP32 in a VM on vista64 for efilive. Virtual Server doesnt run due to the fact it doesnt have 64bit signed drivers.
Anyway yeah... 32bit vista is the sensible choice for maximum compatibility. I must say having no sound or toys like fingerprint login and card reader working yet is a little sad. Still I live in hope HP and its "Vista Capable" laptop sticker get their act together.

PS: Stop posting on so many threads, Ill never catch up!

Tordne
December 23rd, 2006, 06:54 AM
I'm actually missing Office 2007 as well... And, you shouldn't catch up! LOL

Garry
December 23rd, 2006, 07:21 AM
I'm looking forward to Vista, too ... can't wait to use up something like 60-70% of system resources just for the f@cking OS ... and replace all the fine-working applications because M$ decided to change their own rules of how programs should be written in order to be compatible between releases ...

Thanks, but no thanks ... when was EFILive coming as Linux-Version?

Tordne
December 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM
The interface is a bit heavier, but otherwise I found performance fine. Office 2007 had some pretty nice stuff as well. I was running it on dual core laptop with 2gb memory though, so it should have been ok really :)

Linux version would be cool.. But that will be a long ways down the road.

Chevy366
December 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
To bad on the Linux version .
Been running Vista for some time (home computer) , even did Longhorn 64 bit , not real impressed , XP with a new face .
Yeah , my laptop is a Alienware M9700 with dual graphics , SATA RAID , 2 gb ram and a AMD 64 ML44 , but not going to put Vista on it .
My home computer , scores 4.5 in Vista score . :muahaha:
Got a invite to Vmware sem in Arlington , free breakfast and lunch , might go !

ringram
December 23rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Just downloaded vista32 for my main desktop. Didnt want to bust everything with 64 bit.
Office 2k7 is ok, the new menu system is a bit crap.. just try finding the function to capitalise the first letter of every word!

On the efilive front with vm beta6 the tune tool reads the v2 unit etc, but opening the latest scan tool ends up with an error exception. The old official 7.3.3 lets me in ok.. Ill try it on the car tomorrow... The scan tool isnt looking promising though. obdii.dll error or somesuch.

Worse case looks like Ill have to "upgrade" to the 32 bit version !