PDA

View Full Version : Scan Tool For Christmas

Josho
December 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Hey guys firstly merry christmas to you all and i hope you all got wat you wanted (i know i did) lol.
I have just come back from my first little play around with the scan tool and i have a few questions (with many more to come haha).

1. Does a "chart" only display data while logging? And same as the calculated power output? If so is there anyway to change them so this is not the case. i.e so i can at least view the chart and not have to log all the time.

2. For the quick dest drive i took i gave it a hit in 1st and got to the limiter but didnt get any knock at all, is this normal not to get anything or is it just not working?

3. My car is running MAFless and has been tuned already (not with efilive) and i noticed my timing advance gets to 40 degrees. Is this alot of timing, and because i have got no knock what so ever can it be advanced further?

4. Is my selection of pid's ok? As i will be primarily (spelling) the one looking and logging my car i dont particulary wat alot of to technical stuff i dont understand.

5. If you have a look in the top right of my dashboard i have a temp2 number, this was me trying to get the ext.temp2 pid to work. I tried ext.temp1 without success too. I am looking for an outside ambient temperature thermocouple (if there even is one, i just assumed thats wat it is)

6. From all your experience does anything look bad from my dashboard, data wise?

Sorry for all the questions guys but I gotta get off the ground somehow.

Any help is very appreciated. Josh

NewV
December 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Hey guys firstly merry christmas to you all and i hope you all got wat you wanted (i know i did) lol.
I have just come back from my first little play around with the scan tool and i have a few questions (with many more to come haha).

1. Does a "chart" only display data while logging? And same as the calculated power output? If so is there anyway to change them so this is not the case. i.e so i can at least view the chart and not have to log all the time.

2. For the quick dest drive i took i gave it a hit in 1st and got to the limiter but didnt get any knock at all, is this normal not to get anything or is it just not working?

3. My car is running MAFless and has been tuned already (not with efilive) and i noticed my timing advance gets to 40 degrees. Is this alot of timing, and because i have got no knock what so ever can it be advanced further?

4. Is my selection of pid's ok? As i will be primarily (spelling) the one looking and logging my car i dont particulary wat alot of to technical stuff i dont understand.

5. If you have a look in the top right of my dashboard i have a temp2 number, this was me trying to get the ext.temp2 pid to work. I tried ext.temp1 without success too. I am looking for an outside ambient temperature thermocouple (if there even is one, i just assumed thats wat it is)

6. From all your experience does anything look bad from my dashboard, data wise?

Sorry for all the questions guys but I gotta get off the ground somehow.

Any help is very appreciated. Josh

Josho - Welcome, glad you are enjoying your new toy. mine was an EARLY Christmas present.

1. The chart will display during playback of a saved log as well, you can pause and advance frame by frame.

2. Depends on alot of factors, I rarely see any knock even with a redline rev.

3. I don't think so, i have timing up to 44 degrees at times. Again depends on alot of factors.

4. Check out the tutorials for some suggestions. One of the real keys is keeping the channel number down to 24 or less. Then you will get 10 fps logging and more relevant data capture. As you select pids at the bottom of the screen it will show how many channels you have selected.

5,6. Not qualified enough to answer

Make sure you get a wideband sensor as well, especially if you are running MAFless.

Good Luck

Josho
December 24th, 2006, 06:29 PM
1. The chart will display during playback of a saved log as well, you can pause and advance frame by frame.

Yeah i had a bit of a play around with that. I probably should have been clearer sorry, can i view real time chart data without having to log it? Because from wat i can see the chart wont show anything until you start recording, likewise for the power output cal.

Tordne
December 24th, 2006, 07:01 PM
You can view real time data on gauges (dials) when you are Recording a log or Monitoring (yellow circle button next to record). Graphs only show data when recording.

ringram
December 24th, 2006, 11:35 PM
You probably want to log some airflow pids too. You can use them to check where you are in the spark table. g/cyl is good for that. You can make a map with RPM and MAP and put your O2 mv in as data for a very rough idea on fueling.
If you want to start tuning you might want to consider a wideband which will tell you exactly how much fuel you are putting in and when. (Will need to upgrade to tune to change anything, but you can fit the wideband now)

DrX
December 25th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Welcome!

The WOT(high g/cyl) portion of the spark table is what you want to concentrate on. Looks like yours is at 20*. Might be able to bump it up a little at a time as long as you are not logging any KR. As mentioned, log airflow so you can plot KR vs g/cyl vs RPM.

Scoota
December 25th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Josho, welcome to Information headquarters.
With your concern of seeing the timing floating around the 40deg advance, that is on deceleration, so don't get confused and apply the same timing to the high load areas or you will be left to picking up the pieces.
As DrX has pointed out, you could improve on the 20deg,
Good luck with it all.

Cheers Scotty.

Josho
December 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Welcome!

The WOT(high g/cyl) portion of the spark table is what you want to concentrate on. Looks like yours is at 20*. Might be able to bump it up a little at a time as long as you are not logging any KR. As mentioned, log airflow so you can plot KR vs g/cyl vs RPM.

Um........ lol. I still have to read some more as i dont really know how to make a table nor wat im looking at wen i do. I have watched over a few of my logs and i am not logging a single bit of knock so maybe there is potential for improvment. You mention logging airflow and to use the g/cyl but wen i look in my pids there area few different ones. Which one do i use?
Cheers guys

oztracktuning
December 25th, 2006, 01:17 PM
If its mafless - speed density g/cylinder one.

Tordne
December 25th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Speed Density Grams/Cyl PID is GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA. This PID will show you when cells you are hitting in your Octane tables.

You talk about getting no KR, which is cool!! Also worth noting that if you are Speed Density (MAFless) with a stock OS then you are running exclusively on the Low Octane table ;)

Josho
December 25th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah im running MAFless and yes i havent got any knock at all yet. I run it on BP Ultimate only whether that has anything to do with the octane table your talking about or not i dont know. Thanx for the help guys i still got alot to learn but ur all making it heaps easier.

Tordne
December 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM
The High and Low Octane tables are not like 98 octant and 91 octant tables :)

In normal operation you will run off the High Octane table. When KR occurs a scaler parameter degrades and will start to balance between the two tables. More write up HERE (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=23279&postcount=5).

If you are not using an EFILive Custom Operating System and and running MAFless your car will be running ONLY on the Low Octane Table which has less timing. You should not get KR running on only the Low Octane table ;)