PDA

View Full Version : 98 pcm

98ls1blackbird
December 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Hello everyone, my name is John and I am a real greenhorn who needs to be spoonfed. I got EFILive as an Xmas present to myself along with the v2 flashscan unit and an Innovate LM-1 wideband O2.
I've been reading a lot of the tutorials and it seems they are all directed to the 99 and later PCM's. How about us poor saps with the 98's. Also all of the custom tunes and custom OS that I found are also 99 and later.
I've licenced my 03 Workhorse 8.1L Allison and want to licence my 98 Trans Am. Where can I get the 97/98 streams or whatever I need so I can tune my 98 without using another licence? I understand these years are included in the package. Well I hope this is not too basic as I want to learn to log and tune on my own. I will probably be asking for a lot of help, this seems to be a great forum and look forward to the learning experience. Thanks.
John

Garry
December 26th, 2006, 07:27 AM
The 97/98 stream should already be unlocked ... don't think that changed in V2 ... go into the Tune tool, select V2 PCM licensing and click on the stream licenses ... I think it should list LS1A as Active ...

kbracing96
December 26th, 2006, 08:01 AM
My code to unlock the 97/98 stream was emailed to me when I ordered my V2. :) If you don't have it unloncked aready, contact who you bought your EFILive though and they should be able to send you the reg code.

ScarabEpic22
December 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Yep, 97/98 stream is free and you can tune unlimited 87/98 PCM/ECM/TCM (dont know what they used) for free, so no license credits are used when you tune your TA.

TAQuickness
December 26th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Welcome to the forum 98ls1blackbird.

As stated above, if the LS1A stream does not appear as unlocked, contact your reseller and they will email the license key for it.

98ls1blackbird
December 26th, 2006, 02:28 PM
It is not unlocked in the v2 licences. I tried several times to contact Greenlight performance both by email and by phone and cannot get ahold of them. Guess they are down for the holidays. Oh well just be patient I guess.

Also, as I understand it the stand alone features of the v2 flashscan are coming at a later date, now it only acts as a pass through cable and code scanner. Thanks.

Ninety8C5
December 26th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I was under the impression that the 97/98 PCM did not use a license and therefore you would not need to have the stream unlocked.

Am I wrong ? :nixweiss:

Blacky
December 26th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Anyone with a V2 that does not have the 97/98 stream activate, can send their V2 serial number to me (paul@efilive.com) and I'll send back the 97/98 stream activation code.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
December 26th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I was under the impression that the 97/98 PCM did not use a license and therefore you would not need to have the stream unlocked.
Am I wrong ? :nixweiss:

The problem was, some V2 units did not ship with 97/98 stream active.
All V2 units are now shipping with that stream pre-activated.

Regards
Paul

Doc
December 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM
How about us poor saps with the 98's.

You can always cross over to the other side...I have some bread crumbs if you want to go down that path?!? Learn you will grasshoper. Welcome to the forum.
:cheers:

98ls1blackbird
December 27th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Doc,
Thanks for the welcome. You're right with the 98 pcm I sometimes feel like I'm in the dark side. So I take it there are no upgrade os for the 98. I sort of feel like a red headed step child. Hahahahahaha. It will be fun learning.

Your signature says you have a 98 with an 02 pcm, hod did you manage that? Did you have to change the entire wiring harness and pcm?

Doc
December 27th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Depends on how far you want to take this transformation...Not the Whole Harness, the pcm connectors Red, Blue have 160pins, about 150 need to be swapped. If you want to maintain full street trim then AFAIK, then you will have to r/r the Instrument Cluster (IC) and the fuel sending unit at a minimum. I r/r'd the IC and the tank with a plastic tank and a Racetronix upgrade. The IC will need a wire swap as well... I have heard rumors of folks getting around the fuel sending unit deal but have never seen/read how to get around this. I have heard rumor that the HP Tuner owners have modded OS's on a one on one customer basis but it seems like a real stretch- why not just upgrade the fuel system at the same time?

Bottom line, how much do you love your car? I bought mine off the showroom floor in 98 and it has slept in my garage ever since. Too much love in her...Many folks have gone on to make really kick ass setups with bearing the burden of the 98 OS...From the tinkering perspective it can be trying at best but it is not impossible.

The LSx EFI Learning curve does explode with a Moates RR.
The Custom OS's are worth the swap/upgrade effort in my opinion.