PDA

View Full Version : How can I log

Rusty
December 26th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I have recently purchased and installed the commercial version of EFILive. I'm running version 7.3.3 of the tuning software. I can flash the car but I can not figure out how to log infomation from the car. I can not even get the dash board on the software to indicated the status of the car.
I'm sure this newbie is missing something simple. Can you help?

2001 Z06

Happy Jim
December 26th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Rusty,

If you can flash the PCM then your 90% of the way there.

Close down EFILive Tune, open up EFILive Scan Tool...plug flashscan into PC and Car, turn on Ignition, push the little green button at the top left of the screen (just under "file") - that should get you connected. Then press F10 to pop up the dashboard (you want dash A for the guages view).

Rgds

Jim

You don't, of course, have to close Tune down...just makes it clearer.

Rusty
December 26th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I am 95% sure that I did those steps. I will start over from scratch and see if it helps. Thanks for the reply!

TAQuickness
December 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the forum Rusty.

With the scan tool open, press the green button (or ctrl+F3) then at the bottom center of the scan tool, press the red button (or F3) to start logging. If you are only monitoring data (ctrl+m) the live data will only be visible on the data tab (F9)

Rusty
December 27th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Happy Jim & TAQuickness,
Thanks for the steps to follow. I was able to get it connected for a short while. Here is what happened:

First Attempt: Car was running, clicked green button and successfully conneted to car. Clicked red button and started to log (frames started increasing in buttom corner). The dashboard was displayed since the beggining but RPMs and all other gauges is dead. Then I got a error box. Reconnecting.. Went to about 40 tries then error message stated no interface cable. This whole process was about 30 seconds long.
I confirmed proper cable connections and noticed that the obII LED on the inface box was flashing like it was still receiving data from the car. I removed all cables and reconnected but no success.

Second Attempt: I disconnected the battery and reconnected the battery. Connected all cables. Shut down and restarted scan tool Turn key to on. Clicked green then red button. (Car is not running) Started to receive frames as before. Then the same error message about no connection to interface cable.

Any ideas?:help2:

TAQuickness
December 27th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Simple stuff first:
Do you have PID's selected?

Off the wall stuff second:
Does the engine run otherwise?
When you're driving do all the guages run/work properly?
Does your cigarette ligher work?
Have you pulled the heads or engine recently?

Rusty
December 27th, 2006, 06:42 AM
TAQuickness:
Do you have PID's selected? I have mated my cable to the vin number but not really sure about selected PIDs.

Does the engine run otherwise? Yes

When you're driving do all the guages run/work properly? Yes

Does your cigarette ligher work? Yes

Have you pulled the heads or engine recently? Replaced this engine 10 races ago. Car is for track use only.

TAQuickness
December 27th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Two things come to mind,

1) On the PID's tab, make sure you have selected PID's to log.

2) Double check the grounds on the back of the left head. If they are loose, it will interupt communications on the bus and can cause the FS to disconnect. A common symptom of the grounds being loose is the intrument cluster "freaking out" under hard acceleration an corning. BUT, this symptom does not always occur.

Rusty
December 27th, 2006, 07:32 AM
TAQuickness:
I am going back to the garage and I will try what you suggested. Keep in mind that I am not driving the car. I have a laptop on a cart connected via USB to the interface mod which is connected to the car. I will be back in 1 hour.

Thanks for all your help.

Rusty
December 27th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Ok.. Another failed test. I do have the ALL selected on the PID tab. It seems to have similiar results when I click monitor or log buttons at the bottom. This time I monitored the data tab and start to log. No data showed up. After 700 or so frames it came up with the reconnecting message which just increase retry number. Never does reconnect.

Does anyone have a tech support number?

Happy Jim
December 27th, 2006, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=Rusty]Ok.. Another failed test. I do have the ALL selected on the PID tab.QUOTE]

Along the bottom bar of the PIDs tab are three status indicators; Total PIDS, Selected PIDs and Selected Channels. You should have 24 or less selected channels showing (selected PIDs could be as many as 24, more likely a few less though). If you're showing 0 (zero) then you need to double click on some of the PIDs to select them.

Also is your PID file "Default Metric.pid" ?

Rgds

Jim

Rusty
December 27th, 2006, 09:57 AM
On the PID tab at the bottom:
Total PIDs: 303 Selected PIDs: 0 Selected Channels: 0 of 96 Maximum

The PID File is Default.pid

FYI: I slected all the rows in this table before logging last time. I did this by using cantrol-a. Please tell me that I am doing some thing wrong.

Happy Jim
December 27th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Please tell me that I am doing some thing wrong.

Always happy to oblige :muahaha:

No probs, the problem is you haven't selected any pids for the scanner to read, hence it's just connected...twiddling it's thumbs and giving up in a sulk :Eyecrazy:

You need to double click each PID that you wish to log, once a PID is selected it turns from a grey thing to a black thing (picture attached in a minute if it works...)

Jim

Edit...With Photo

Happy Jim
December 27th, 2006, 10:24 AM
...So, in the photo above I've selected 13 PIDs and then sorted them to be all at the top of the list (click on the "description" column to do a re-sort), and they are shown with the black speedo Icon next to them, all PIDs below those are "available" to be selected, but won't be logged until they are double clicked.

If you get it right then when you start logging (engine off) you should see your Engine Coolant Temp show something sensible (ie, not freezing or boiling), which is a very good indicator that you are on the right lines.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Jim

joecar
December 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
...Does anyone have a tech support number? Rusty,

I sent Paul a pm on your behalf.

Try what Jim said.

On the PIDs tab, do the selected PIDs have no red X thru them and are they not greyed out...?

Joe

Rusty
December 28th, 2006, 10:54 AM
It was no delected PIDs. Working great.
Thanks for all the effort to help this newbue.

:rockon:

TAQuickness
December 29th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Glad you got it working Rusty. Let us know if we can help with anything else.