PDA

View Full Version : yet another bb logging problem

2500hd05
December 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM
i can log data with the pc just fine. when i try to bb log the light turns green and stays on, like is susposs too. when i try to download the logs the retive button tells me there is nothing to retrive. but i can "dump" the bb contents and it goes to the bug report folder as a .mem file. i can even load that .mem back into the flashscan but i still can "retirve" anything.

i spelled retriv four differant ways. :help2:

Black02SS
December 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Try this tutorial and see if it helps your problem.

http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/Tutorials/BlackBox.zip

2500hd05
December 27th, 2006, 06:28 PM
i followed the tutorial to the "T" but i opened the duramax pids not the default ones. i get this message though, it still dont work. the pcm operating number is the same as the one in the enter vin area too.

Tordne
December 27th, 2006, 08:29 PM
That error is actually not critical. It is basically saying that is is going to log DMA PIDS, which are taken (as their name suggests) direct from known memory locations.

It is saying to make sure you have the right OS # entered so that these known locations will be correct for the PID you are expecting to log.

Are you saying that the actual black box logging is not working though?

joecar
December 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Make sure that bottom of the Scan Tool window shows your correct VIN/OS before you program the PIDs into the BB, and before you retrieve the log from the BB.

2500hd05
December 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Make sure that bottom of the Scan Tool window shows your correct VIN/OS before you program the PIDs into the BB, and before you retrieve the log from the BB.
it does, this is whats pissing me off. i have done everything correct as far as i know but it still says the is no infomation to retrieve from the flashscan cable. it says the flashscan cable has no data in it.:help2: :bawl:

kbracing96
December 28th, 2006, 12:23 PM
2 questions, this may sound dumb, but bear with me. When you press the log button on the BB, does the log LED come on and stay on? If it doesn't stay on, then its not logging and you probable need to validate the pids

If yes, when you go to retrieve logged data, do you click on the logged data file that you want to view and highlight it blue first, before you click on view?

2500hd05
December 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM
2 questions, this may sound dumb, but bear with me. When you press the log button on the BB, does the log LED come on and stay on? If it doesn't stay on, then its not logging and you probable need to validate the pids

If yes, when you go to retrieve logged data, do you click on the logged data file that you want to view and highlight it blue first, before you click on view?
yes the light stays on. i dont have anythingin the menu to choose from. and the memory meter is always empty, have never seen any logs in that menu. it will "dump" but not retrieve

kbracing96
December 28th, 2006, 03:25 PM
When just the cable is plugged into the truck, is the mem led flashing or just on. If its not on, then it has not logged any data. If it is on, then there is logged data in the box. If it is flashing then the memory is full.
If it has actually been logging, then it should show logged data.

Forget about the dump button, it really has nothing to do with BB loging, it for errer reports.

2500hd05
December 28th, 2006, 04:22 PM
nope. the only light on is obd and log not the mem one.

kbracing96
December 28th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Humm.. then it's not loging anything. I'm out of ideas if you've validated the pids and when you press the start button on the BB (you are using the button on the BB to start the log arn't you?) and the light comes on and stay on solid and the mem light should come on and stay on too, it should be loging data. Does the log light go off if you press it again (mem light should stay on cuz there is something in the mem)? Might be a falty cable is the only thing i can think of.

2500hd05
December 28th, 2006, 05:59 PM
yes the log light does go out if i press the button again. hey what part of wy are you in? im in laramie so maybe you could show me what to do, ill drive.

Garry
December 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM
When you are finished logging, do you just pull the cable off, or do you press the button? When you press the button, after the logging-LED was on, the Memory-LED should be/stay on...

Tordne
December 28th, 2006, 09:36 PM
What are the chances of getting remote access to your laptop with something like VNC? If VNC is just another acronym then probably not good. I'd just really like to see/do this process in person.

kbracing96
December 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM
yes the log light does go out if i press the button again. hey what part of wy are you in? im in laramie so maybe you could show me what to do, ill drive.

I live in Wheatland just over the hill from you, about an hour, but I'm in OR right now, but will be home on the 2nd or 3rd. Would love to check out a Dmax:D Haven't found any locals that will let me play with there truck yet;). Let me know, I'm available any time once I get home.

2500hd05
December 29th, 2006, 09:30 AM
cool. i let you check her out. you wont happen to know how to hook up a egt probe to the flashscan would you??