PDA

View Full Version : Shift light?

traumadog
December 29th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Just curious - was looking around the tuning categories for the '04 GTO I have, and noticed a category labelled "shift light" under engine parameters.

The GTO never had one enabled - though there is a spot for it.

Would setting the parameter to "enabled" really turn it on? I thought it had to be changed in the cluster software instead.

Tordne
December 29th, 2006, 01:16 PM
There was only one HSV model I know of that used this. There is another thread kicking around on here somewhere about installing one.

I've very keen to do this also...

bK
December 29th, 2006, 08:05 PM
There was only one HSV model I know of that used this. There is another thread kicking around on here somewhere about installing one.

I've very keen to do this also...
I think this is the thread you are talking about http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3333 I'm going to give this a shot shortly. (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3333)

Tordne
December 29th, 2006, 08:56 PM
That's the correct thread alright.

You don't happen to know the required voltage etc. do you? Any idea what sort of light you're going to try connect. Interested especially because we are in the same region...

limited cv8r
December 29th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Have you tried looking here for info www.ls1gto.com (http://www.ls1gto.com).

Tordne
January 30th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'll be trying this shift light stuff out in the next week or so. I have 2 AutoMeter warning lights (one large and 1 small) coming from SummitRacing :). Getting big and small cause I'm not sure which will be best and it makes it worth shipping all the way out there!

I'll let you know how it goes :cheers:

Tordne
February 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Stuff has arrived now :) Going to use the small one - the large is just a bit rice!!

Now I just need to get some extra wire to reach the PCM and decide where it needs to go...

jsttry
February 16th, 2007, 05:00 AM
This is a quick write up on how to install an Autometre Mini-Pro shift light to the LS1 PCM and use the shift light settings that you mention. Write-up was provided by a member in the NT HSV & Holden Owners Club here in Darwin, NT, Australia. Thanks Bazz.....

Righto, here's my quick explanation of how to wire in a 2 wire shift light (ie any 12v light to act as a shift light)
It can be done in any order really so it's up to you where to start.
However I recommend that you disconnect the battery before you do anything else!!!
I started by mounting my light on the steering column cover. The front of the steering column pops up, then there is two clips each side at the back which you need to release. Then the whole top of the steering column cover will come off. Then mount your light however you would like to. I used 2 self tapping screws into the plastic. Remember when you drill and screw into plastic, take it slow so it doesn't crack.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/bazzery/ShiftlightSide.jpg
Since the light came with some wires already attached, I bought a simple plug to attach the wires to which can be easily disconnected if you need to. You do not have to do this and it can be simply crimped or soldered together, your choice.
I then got a 12V positive supply from the fuse panel in the drivers footwell. There is a few spots you can use, I just used one of the spare relay slots with a blade crimp going into it.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/bazzery/DSC00117.jpg
Next you need to run the other wire to the pcm. To do this, run it under the dash to the passenger side footwell. Remove the plastic cover from the footwell (If there) not forgetting to remove the footwell light from the cover as you pull it out (also if light fitted). Look up and you will see the through firewall gland. From the engine bay it looks like this...
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/bazzery/DSC00118.jpg
Run your cable through there, ensuring you have enough to get to the pcm, which is located underneath the coolant reservoir tank.

Remove the plastic cover by unclipping the front end and slightly sliding the cover towards the rear of the car to unclip the back end.
Using a socket, (size I can't remember!!) undo the connector farthest away from the engine. (Red connector)
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/bazzery/DSC00120.jpg
The pin I received was off an old pcm so it already had a wire on it...
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/bazzery/DSC00116.jpg
Carefully remove the grey plastic cover from the top of the connector and push the pin into slot 47 until you feel it click and lock in.
In this picture it is the brown wire I am holding in my hand. Every slot is numbered except the ones where numbering is not possible.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/bazzery/DSC00121.jpg
Again connect the wire from the pin and the wire from the shift light as you see fit. This time I soldered the wires together and for safety measure put an insulated tube crimp on it.
Put everything back together and neaten up the job.
The only thing which needs to be done now is for your pcm to be set to have shift light enabled.
And that is the install of a shift light. The Pin 47 switches to ground (car chassis) and the bladecrimp is supplying 12v from one of the spare relay supplies. My 12v globe has a red lens over the top of it including a red cover for the tube itself.

Note, this was done on a VT Series II Holden Commodore, obviously this may be slightly different for other cars.

Tordne
February 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Good timing mate!!! I assumed that the PCM pin would raise the 12v supply. It would have been a cock up without this :).

jsttry
February 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
The PIN actually provides the ground circuit. You need a 12V supply from somewhere

Tordne
February 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Cool. Might go do this now actually. Wonder where to mount it???

I'll definitely use the small mini light, the big one is just too big!

joecar
February 16th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Looks good... check that the12V is fused and switched. :cheers:

JET LEE
February 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM
jsttry thanks for the write up :cheers:

I noticed the shift light option on my 02 Z06, will have to give this a try.

Tordne
February 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Looks good... check that the12V is fused and switched. :cheers:

Damn you ruining my install :). How big a fuse you reckon?

joecar
February 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Damn you ruining my install :). How big a fuse you reckon?Andrew, sorry mate... I don't want to ruin your install, I'm "adding value to it", and we got to keep you, your family, and your car all safe... :cheers:

It's easier than you think... just pay attention to get 12V from the "downstream" side of a fuse that is powered only when the ignition key in on.

Or if you wire it separate, I think maybe 5A or 10A inline should be fine.

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

Tordne
February 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I need to get a spade connector anyway to plug into the relay socket.. Probably be tomorrow now.

Found a pretty cool place for it and didn't need to screw it in. Basically it sits pretty tight between 2 joining pieces of dash :)

Pretty sure the relay sockets aren't powered cause I've also used one for radar detector ;)

I see from your sig you're pretty please at coding the QLogic Linux driver :muahaha:

joecar
February 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I need to get a spade connector anyway to plug into the relay socket.. Probably be tomorrow now.

Found a pretty cool place for it and didn't need to screw it in. Basically it sits pretty tight between 2 joining pieces of dash

Pretty sure the relay sockets aren't powered cause I've also used one for radar detector

I see from your sig you're pretty please at coding the QLogic Linux driver :muahaha:If it's a relay socket, then it's fused and most likey switched. :cheers:
Fits between adjacent dash pieces... cool. :cheers:

As for the QL Linux driver... I'm studying it right now and pulling it apart, getting ready to make it simpler, easier, shorter... it's open source code, as required by Linux/GNU.

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

Tordne
February 16th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Cool.. Still don't have the spade connector to fit in the relay socket :sad:... Tomorrow it is. Got all the other stuff done - wiring into PCM etc done so the rest is easy :D

Garry
February 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Tnx for the info! Will try on my 'hawk! (once I get a plug ...)

jsttry
February 16th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Splade? Just shove the wire in to test it for starters :)

Tordne
February 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I was tempted trust me :). Had visitors over most of the afternoon so I just got the other wiring done about 10pm :notacrook:

Will pick up the connector tomorrow morning and then enable the couple of parameters in the tune - very excited!!

Garry
February 16th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Cool. Might go do this now actually. Wonder where to mount it???

I was thinking of building a little high-output LED cluster myself and putting it in the left air duct ... normal driving shouldn't light it up ;)

Tordne
February 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I thought I found a good place on the steering wheel but the wheel couldn't turn fully... I think the new place is actually pretty cool - time will tell :rockon:

Tordne
February 17th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Well.... Finally completed the install after getting some spade connectors. After connecting the spade connector I found that the relay slot I intended to use wasn't actually wired in in my car :bawl:.

Ended up tapping it into the same circuit as the radar detector which has a fuse as well (just for you joecar :D).

Enabled the Shiftlight Control and Enable parameter (other tables I'd already populated) and did a quick test. Basically to test I just set B5801 to 1200 RPM so I didn't have to give it the full noise in the garage :)

Pretty damn pleased with this actually!!! Will be interesting to see how bright it is during the day.

jsttry
February 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM
You'll have to post some pics up of it activated so we can see how bright it is.

Another local here in Darwin is going to use 8 x LED's in the small vents to the side of the steering wheel in his Commodore for a complete stealth appearance.

Tordne
February 17th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Problem with them down there is that they are too low to be in eye view when you are gunning it (and need to see the light). Mine is a VX as well so those little vents don't exist.

I have the shield on the end ATM, but will see what it is like during the day... If it is too dull then I have the big light sitting here as well :D. Bought both cause I wasn't sure of actual size or where I'd locate it. There'd be no issue seeing that puppy LOL.

Actually thinking it would be quite cool to have an audible signal as well.

Garry
February 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Actually thinking it would be quite cool to have an audible signal as well.
Hm ... guess some folks will have a problem hearing ANYTHING at the time they reach shift RPMs :muahaha: would be easy to build, though, just use some kind of tone generator, activate it from the same 12V and a relay (or directly if it doesn't pull much current) ... as for seeing the signal, peripheral vision is usually enough to notice a halfway decent light ... !? or, mount it facing up on the dash in a way that the light reflects into your sight while you're looking straight ahead ... should work, too ... HUD-Shiftlight ... (is this patented yet? :notacrook: )

JET LEE
February 23rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
Add me to the list of EFILive enabled shiftlight'ers!!!:cheers:

Everything was the same on my install as by the write up of jsttry with the following exceptions.

1. PIN47 on my red PCM plug (02 Z06) already had a wire for "Skip Shift Indicator Control"
2. I made my own shift light, using a LED and a resistor. (really cool, it's blue)

When I cut the wire to the pcm, I did not hook up the wire back up for the Skip Shift Indicator Control, since I had previously disabled Ship Shift.

Works great! But not as I expected. Wanted to ask some of you who have done this if you had similar results. My issue is that the LED glows dim when I thought it was supposed to be off, but when I hit my desired rpm it does flash super bright. Must be getting some grounding somewhere or is it supposed to be this way??? Any suggestions?

JET LEE
February 26th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I did two things this weekend.

1. Replaced the wire from pin47 with an 18 gauge one to my LED, was 20 gauge.
2. Hooked the wire back up that previously went into pin47(Skip Shift Indicator Control).

Results....I still have a dim glow on my shift light under normal operation, however it is more dim than with the 20 guage wire and the other wire disconnected. I think it is dimmer due to more resistance of the bigger 18 gauge wire. It is still more than enough bright when I hit my desired RPM even in the middle of the day with plenty of sunlight.

Has anyone put a voltmeter on thier 12 volt switched and fused wire and the wire coming from pin 47, under normal operation to see if there is a small voltage. I may need another resistor on my LED.

Thanks.

Garry
February 26th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Sounds like some extra circuitry instead of an additional resistor ... guess the PCM doesn't completely cut off the ground connection under normal circumstances ... can you (or somebody else) put a voltmeter on an check how much is actually coming through?

JET LEE
February 26th, 2007, 06:06 AM
I will check my voltage later tonight and post, I should have already done this when I had everything apart. I'm thinking it will be a very small voltage. These LEDS are pretty sensitive to voltage, I was just wondering if the others had voltage, if so then thier bought shift light has more resistance than my home brew one.

Right now, it's so dim that you can't even see it during the day unless looking at it perpendicular from the top of the LED and it has just a faint glow at night, not annoying at all. It does work great however when you hit the desired rpm.

Thanks

Biggsy
February 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Use a relay on the output to switch the LED on.

Cheers,

joecar
February 26th, 2007, 10:16 AM
JET, what LED and what resistor are you using...?

JET LEE
February 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
joe
I'm using a blue LED that is rated at 3.7 volts, .2 mA, with a luminous intensity of 2500 mcd. I soldered a 560 ohm resistor to the anode and applied my +12 volts there and ran an 18 guage wire from the cathode to pin47 on the red connector of my pcm, which had a wire running to it already for skip shift indicator control.

I was somewhat skeptical about my resistor size, but went with it because it was what an online calculator suggested from an LED manufactor. I did a calculation (deltaV=IR ) for my change in voltage and got a different size based on 13.7 volts and 0.4 mA, which is what I was seeing from my +12V powersupply.

But none of this should really matter if the wire coming from pin47 on the pcm is a true switched ground, which it could be on other cars, but I don't think it is on mine. I will verify tonight.

Thanks!

joecar
February 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM
JET,

Don't you mean 20mA (I checked a few datasheets)...?

I calculate: R= (13.7V-3.7V)/0.020A = 500Ω

which is close to your resistor... so I would double this, try 1kΩ or something just below that.

Joe

JET LEE
February 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Joe
You are right, 20 mA is correct...I used .2mA in my equation, that's why I got a different value, good catch.. :master:

Before the resistor, I'm getting a voltage of around .75-.84 volts, so I guess the wire from pin47 on my car isn't a true switched ground. I'll add another resistor, that should kill the dim glow.

Thanks

highperf
February 26th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Just curious - was looking around the tuning categories for the '04 GTO I have, and noticed a category labelled "shift light" under engine parameters.

The GTO never had one enabled - though there is a spot for it.

Would setting the parameter to "enabled" really turn it on? I thought it had to be changed in the cluster software instead.traumadog, the light in the dash is a cluster change, the pcm setting has no effect. If you want the light drop Chris note.

I know it's cool running off the PCM but has anyone tried a Raptor ShiftLight. Programmable and easy as snot to setup

Jim

JET LEE
February 27th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Raptor shift lights are nice, but I wanted something even more compact to fit in my gauge pod above my boost gauge. My set up looks awesome. Plus, I've got about 3 dollars tied up in my shift light, which puts me ahead.

I figured that the money I've saved by using EFILive, it has already paid for itself!

JuhaniLS1
March 20th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Connect some 5kohm resistor paralel with leds, they otherwise glow dimly as pin47 output has some megaohms resistance to ground. leds glow allready with very lowcurrent. Worked for me, and shift light works great:)

JET LEE
March 21st, 2007, 02:39 AM
Thanks Juhanils1,
I ended up with 1K ohm resistor soldered to only the anode (in series) of the LED and applied my power source to that leg of the resistor. My ground wire went from the cathode of the LED to PIN47. The size of the resistor depends on the LED used. I used 18 guage wire.... Works awesome!

JuhaniLS1
March 21st, 2007, 03:19 AM
Well works great when standstill, comes on at 3000rpm as set, also works when driving but comes on also when coasting when throthle closed hmm why? :Eyecrazy:

Garry
June 17th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Well, wired 47 and 56 up from the PCM this morning, and installed the shift light ... 6 LEds, mounted inside the left center air duct ... working great, may still put the parallel resistor in to get rid of the slight glow from the LEDs, though it's hardly noticeable ... still have to splice the 12V to the circuit and change the PCM back from 1200 RPM to something like 5500 ;) (I reckon that should be a good RPM to shift on a stock engine?)

jpalamar
December 4th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I have an 04 GTO, even with the built in shift light, could I run these wires into my guage cluster and have the same result? Or would just mounting LEDs on the dash somewhere just be better?