PDA

View Full Version : Fast90 joys

ringram
December 30th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Time for me to have fun with the thing.

First thing I notice is that the purge pipe is in the way of the power steering tank! Second that the fast90 is longer than the stock manifold and the engine lift mount is right in the way! F**K!

Off to get some spacers for the power steering and then some fun trying to remove the rear engine lift bracket!

TAQuickness
December 30th, 2006, 01:28 AM
welcome to the club!

ringram
December 30th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Minor injuries trying to get leverage on the rear engine mount. Got it off. Then found the replacement LS6 front cross over was in the way of the intake. Had to bend it down.... and guess what.. yep, got some hairline cracks in the mother. However everything now fits... Hopefully the cross over doesnt leak, but Im going to order another one anyway. Ill have to get some heat onto it next time before bending out the way.

Hoping to fire it up tomorrow once Ive spaced the power steer tank.

What fun

Bruce Melton
December 30th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Sounds like you are having different application problems than I did, but I am a FAST hater.

TAQuickness
December 30th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I'm about to buy a new one just to make sure. If the new one is a turd too, both are going on Ebay and my coins going for an ITB

ringram
December 30th, 2006, 03:06 AM
I see you have just gone with the L92 stuff. Nice. Did that make much more power?

Yeah mine are similar to the GTO fitment issues.

ringram
December 30th, 2006, 03:12 AM
TAQ Im with you on that. Id have gone with an 8TB if the price was right. But I was at sema and picking up a fast was quick and easy. Plus there are good deals for 90/90 combo's for $1000 these days. An 8tb is 2 or 3x that. Or do you know of some reasonable priced ones? The Hockingracing ones look interesting.
My heads are stock height with no milling so Im hoping Im ok.

TAQuickness
December 30th, 2006, 03:23 AM
I haven't found a resonable price on an ITB setup yet, but I don't think I would be happy selling the FAST and going back to an LS6...

The ITB's provide more the kind of tinkering I prefer over the FAST.

Bruce Melton
December 30th, 2006, 03:39 AM
I see you have just gone with the L92 stuff. Nice. Did that make much more power?

Yeah mine are similar to the GTO fitment issues.

TAQ and I have shared our FAST woes. I gave up, but he marches on to martyrdom.

This L92/L76/LS2tb gear is dirt cheap by comparison and flows like mad. The heads are out being lightly massaged and this is a Winter project, so no results yet. I am wildly optimistic but do not want to jinx the project with estimate of HP/TQ.

TAQuickness
December 30th, 2006, 03:56 AM
TAQ and I have shared our FAST woes. I gave up, but he marches on to martyrdom.

It's something about admitting defeat to a piece of plastic :D

This will be my last attempt with the FAST

ringram
December 31st, 2006, 03:09 AM
All done, not without some loss of blood however. Had to remove rear engine lift mount and space out the front one to clear purge line.
Started and idled fine right off the bat. Not noticed any extra power yet. Im sure Ill have to recheck my VE though. My air filter is filthier than Tordne's mind so that will need a clean out too.

TAQuickness
December 31st, 2006, 03:42 AM
Good luck cleaning Tordne's head.

If you have the means, compare your left and right bank AFR's. It wasn't until I installed the second LC1 that I noticed I had a severe intake leak. I got the worst of it fixed up, but something still isn't right.

Tordne
December 31st, 2006, 05:25 AM
All done, not without some loss of blood however. Had to remove rear engine lift mount and space out the front one to clear purge line.
Started and idled fine right off the bat. Not noticed any extra power yet. Im sure Ill have to recheck my VE though. My air filter is filthier than Tordne's mind so that will need a clean out too.

Bloody hell, I just saw this :D

Man my air filter is black as! And it is a PITA to get out as well being behind the front grill, that I had to bend the AC radiator to get it down there :eek:.

Don't seem to be dropping any kPa though which is good, still hitting 100-101 no worries.

ringram
December 31st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Yeah thought you might like that comment mate. :D

I was down about 3 kpa with the LS6 intake and had both banks STFT exactly the same, so will see what happens with the Fast.

ringram
January 1st, 2007, 02:55 AM
Seems easier to hit atmospheric kpa now. g/cyl is nice, though my bloody scan tool hung so I lost my mega WOT runs, but not before pasting the BEN's in. High RPM/Load cells were +ve, like up to 5% so who knows. BEN's are always fun and you can chase yourself for the last few %. Mr dyno will have to tell me whats changed.

Bruce Melton
January 1st, 2007, 03:10 AM
If you have a leak free (external and internal) installation you can expect some good results. Depending on modifications ~~+20 hp in upper rpm range is reasonable. There are many devotes in the Colonies. Keep us informed with your progress.

ringram
January 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Definately likes to rev now. Used to run out of huff before. Now it runs to the rev limit, Im shifting faster too. So Im assuming its faster. Feels much more eager. Im not sure if Ive lost any down low, Im hoping Ive just gained from midrange up. Ill get a dyno overlay.

TAQuickness
January 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I'm glad it's working out for you. I wish I had your luck with it.

ringram
February 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Update for anyone interested. Prior to the fast90/90 I had an LS6 and stock ported TB. I could never beat tordne's 0.86g/cyl even with my heads and cam.. My previous best was 0.85g/cyl

Well today I logged a nice 0.95g/cyl with the fast90/90 so its definately a worth while mod, and I can probably say that dispite people saying the ls6/tb are good for up to 450rwhp I recon they should be replaced well before then.

Log pic below

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1457/095gcylgy8.jpg

Edited to remind people this was done under test conditions so please ignore the VSS :D (lucky you didnt see the next higher VSS!)

Tordne
February 4th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Amazing what people can do with Photoshop :muahaha:

Since I rescaled the injectors based on actual fuel pressure, and being summer and all. I've been lucky to hit 0.80 g/cyl :frown:

ringram
February 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Nice. Well no changes other than intake went from 0.85 to 0.95. As you say too many variables involved to read anything significant into it.
But hopefully the relative change with all other factors being fixed makes it a worth while comparison.
New headers coming, plus some dyno time. If I break 1.0g/cyl Ill buy you a pint next time Im in NZ!

Bruce Melton
February 4th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Update for anyone interested. Prior to the fast90/90 I had an LS6 and stock ported TB. I could never beat tordne's 0.86g/cyl even with my heads and cam.. My previous best was 0.85g/cyl

Well today I logged a nice 0.95g/cyl with the fast90/90 so its definately a worth while mod, and I can probably say that dispite people saying the ls6/tb are good for up to 450rwhp I recon they should be replaced well before then.

Log pic below

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1457/095gcylgy8.jpg

Edited to remind people this was done under test conditions so please ignore the VSS :D (lucky you didnt see the next higher VSS!)

Jesus loves you!

redhardsupra
February 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM
hey, could you post some before/after logs? i'd like to add it to my 'powerband shaping' article

ringram
February 4th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Ill try and dig some out mate.
Ill give you this one for a start.

WB02 wasnt working due to Mr AC/DC converter messing with the calibration. (Another story)

I guess my IAT helped too.

edit: Marcin, email sent.

oztracktuning
March 7th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I am planning on getting a Fast and 90mm. I have to choose a TB are the PTM ones good? Also should i bother to get it port matched to my ported heads?

I am getting some DF 1"7/8 coated long tubes and 3" magnaflow metal cats fitted tommorrow

This winter i am chasing <11.1 it needs 0.315s which i figure is about 21rwkw or 28rwhp. The catch is with a 3600 stall i cant afford to lose torque at 3600rpm.

Ps. Mine has logged 0.97 before in the middle of winter ;) but maybe my SVO30 36.1lb version IFR is wrong. :frown:

oztracktuning
March 18th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I have a Ported Fast 90mm on the way.
Im expecting a 5-6% increase in airflow on top of the 3% at WOT average just achieved from the larger headers. It should be logging 1.05 this winter as a peak g/cylinder.

ringram
March 18th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Nice dude. My ports matched a stock LS1 set of heads exactly so I didnt port mine other than smoothing out the joints and seams. I thinnned down the spacer that is inside the port a way. But many others remove it altogether.
Nice g/cyl dude. Ive not done any WOT tuning on the dyno yet. So with any luck I should gain the extra 0.05g/cyl from that.
Plus I just had some full length pacie 1.3/4 headers put on so if that doesnt get me there. A UD pulley might... or EWP!
Your specs look close to mine. Whats the UD worth power and costwise?

oztracktuning
March 29th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Some say 7-10rwkw for a 25% UDP. Cost around AU$300 just a pain to fit unless its done with a cam swap.

My FAST 90mm (ported) is on. It was much wider in the ports than the LS6 manifold maybe around 4mm. Fiddly to fit - but it feels strong right through the rev range.

oztracktuning
March 30th, 2007, 01:00 PM
The FAST 90mm has added a large extra push in the back. I think at least 14rwkw.

My guess is that its near 296rwkw now - which is about 450rwhp on a dynojet with a baby cam.

Its also gained a small amount in cruise fuel economy around 0.5-1mpg
Also Logged 0.99g/cylinder today in 20 deg air.

oztracktuning
May 31st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Tonight Ringram
the car logged an average of 1.00g/cylinder between 5100rpm and 6000rpm with a peak of 1.01 at at 5676rpm. Just had 4.11 installed and the IAT was a cool 13 deg C and Barometer was 102.6Kpa