PDA

View Full Version : getting ready for the 2bar SD tune

Whippled 496
December 31st, 2006, 04:07 AM
After much reading and much deliberation i am going to take the plunge here in the next few days and try my hand at setting up my 2bar SD tune. Since I have off work until the 8th, this should give me the time i need to get the tune some what close (I hope)... So what I am looking for now is any suggestions or personal helpful tips that may be useful when doing this. It is my understanding that i will be using a few more tables to better control timing and fuel. I will have an added spark table that will reduce timing after i reach the 105kPa level, as well as an added VE table to help control fuel after 105kPa. So one of my questions is once i have this set up according to the tutorial, whats my next step? Can i then do my auto VE tuning if i richen up the new expanded (boost) VE table? Do i go back to my original VE table and fix the 105kPa column i was using to compensate for the boost region? Basically, what i am asking is once i get the new OS loaded and populated with preliminary data, whats my next step(s) to get the tune dialed in? Once i get started, be prepared for questions overload.....LOL... Just trying not to blow my engine up....yet.....

ALSO: Can i revert back to my old tune (non COS) after the 2bar MAP sensor is in if i run into problems? Or will i need to put the 1bar sensor back in? The reason I ask this is because I have a top manifold mounted intercooler that needs to be removed to get to the MAP sensor.

Thanks for the help.

TAQuickness
December 31st, 2006, 05:56 AM
Can't offer a lot of help on the boosted side of things, but...

If you need to revert back to an OEM OS, yes you can. Perform a full flash of the OEM OS, then perform a calibration only flash from your COS over the OEM OS.

Whippled 496
December 31st, 2006, 01:51 PM
okay cool, so having the 2 bar MAP sensor installed will not skew my readings if i go back to the 1bar tune. So the only difference in the sensors is that the 2bar sensor reads into the higher kPa range? Thanks.

dc_justin
December 31st, 2006, 02:23 PM
You can't revert back to the stock OS with the 2 bar MAP sensor without a lot of work. :(

And yes, you'll want to "fix" that 105kPa column before continuing with the setup process. Otherwise, follow that manual closely and you should be all set. Also, after reading your other thread on IFRs, I'd do my best to be sure that your IFR is accurate for the actual flow rate of the injectors. Otherwise, your VE table will either be skewed high or low, and since timing lookup will be based on the VE table's values, it can have an effect on that as well.

Whippled 496
December 31st, 2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks Justin, so can I go about normal VE tuning and not worry about hitting boost after I have the 2bar sensor in?

Whippled 496
January 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM
okay, with the help of Justin and a few others, i got my COS installed and just about have the non-boost VE calibrated via AutoVE tuning. Working out very nicely.

I have 1 issue, and I know it has been beat into the ground like a dead horse, but I have to bring it up again in hopes that PAUL or ROSS will look into it. In my COS3, my A0008 table has absolutely no effect on cold starts. When i start the truck it starts immediately at 14.79, not the 12.55 i have commanded until it reaches operating temps. I have changed the numbers in A0008 to all kinds of crazy values and makes no difference at all to the commanded AFR during cold start. Secondly, when restarting the truck when its warm, i get a lean spike for the first 20 seconds or so, then it will settle back in to commanded AFR. Cant figure out how to fix either of these if there even is a fix. I am going to post my tune and start-up log so you can see. Pay no attention to the MAF values as the MAF is unplugged for AutoVE tuning.

TUNE AND LOG (http://www.pasadenatownhall.com/tunes/coldstart.zip)

http://www.pasadenatownhall.com/tunes/VE_startup.jpg

dc_justin
January 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM
What are your IATs when you do a warm restart? Could be your IAT VE Multiplier needs some work. Could also be that the sensor is not reading accurately while it is warming up.

Whippled 496
January 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
From top to bottom....

My warm restarts usually yield an IAT of 110 - 120*, then quickly fall to around 90*.

dc_justin
January 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
My warm restarts usually yield an IAT of 110 - 120*, then quickly fall to around 90*.

Does your AFR fall back inline as the IATs drop back to 90?

Whippled 496
January 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM
looking back over my log, you may be right Justin. My BENs are at 0.997 with 0.212g/cyl at idle when my IATs are 82*-86*....but when the IATs are 120*, my BENs are 1.054 at the same 0.212g/cyl. I will do some math and smooth that out.....:)...thanks.

dc_justin
January 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
looking back over my log, you may be right Justin. My BENs are at 0.997 with 0.212g/cyl at idle when my IATs are 82*-86*....but when the IATs are 120*, my BENs are 1.054 at the same 0.212g/cyl. I will do some math and smooth that out.....:)...thanks.

Just means that the IAT multiplier table needs some tweaking. :)

Whippled 496
January 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
right, so currently I have 1.0305 in my 122* cell. I need to raise that number enough to get my BENs back in line.....then linearly fill the column from that point back to 1.000. Theoridically if i raise that multiplier @ 120* to dial my BENs back in at idle, will that same number (1.00305) be correct for the rest of the VE table to dial the BENs in no matter what g/cyl i am at?

Whippled 496
January 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Also (sorry for being a question factory), in my scan window, the g/cyl reading is showing 0.219 at 630rpm (idle) regardless of IAT. I am assuming that reading is not with the multiplier factored in correct? Thats reading is just the current commanded value (cell) in my VE table for that particular MAP vs RPM correct? When i factor in the new multiplier, my scan will not reflect that, it will always just reflect the current reading in my VE table right? Just trying to figure the best way to mathmatically get my new IAT multipliers figured out.

Whippled 496
January 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
It must be friday night because i got the "what-if" cap on...LOL.

Thinking back for a moment to the cold start issue, and not figuring the ECT multiplier table {A0008} in right now, just the IAT multiplier. Looking at my table, the colder the IATs are, the leaner it wants to make the mixure because its using the multiplier against the VE cells, not {B3647}, correct? According to the {A0014} description it does anyway, so during a cold startup, {A0014} is actually leaning out the AFR rather than richening it. Cold starts yield an IAT (for me anyway) of around 50*-60* which in my table is multiplying the VE cells by 0.9780. If it was multiplying the {B3647} (Commanded AFR vs RPM) that would be different because then it would be multiplying 14.70 x 0.9780 resulting in a richer mixture, but when multiplying the VE cells it commands a leaner mixture. Or am i just way outta whack here? ...LOL

Now, {A0008} uses the ECT multiplier against B3647, so it should be richening the AFR (but we know thats not working). But at the same time it would seem that A0014 is working against A0008. I have to be missing something here right?