PDA

View Full Version : CAN support?

QUICKSILVER2002
April 25th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Would supporting CAN (for scanning) basically just require a hardware change and some minor tweaks in EFI-Live?

I'm trying to understand what CAN is. It seems to be just a new wire level electrical interface, but I have not found any real good info on it.

Also trying to get a feel for how long the wait will for scanning an ls2 with EFI-Live.

Blacky
April 25th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Here's a *very* brief overview of GM's CAN (GMLAN) system
http://www.gmtcny.com/lan.htm

Yes, scanning the LS2 would be just a few tweaks in the EFILive software. The software has been designed from the ground up to be usable with *any* OBD protocol.

However, the FlashScan interface does not contain the required CAN hardware. We are currently designing a new FlashScan (V2.0) interface that supports the CAN protocol.
As part of the redesign process we are adding a whole set of new features that will make your FlashScan V2.0 interface the most powerful and useful Scan and Tuning Tool.

The FlashScan V2.0 interface cable is not expected to be available until late 2005 (November/December). Our ideal goal is to have it ready for SEMA 2005, but that is probably too optimistic.

We are investigating using AutoTap's CAN interface cable (ATUSB) for LS2 scanning duties until FlashSCan V2.0 is released. But no decision has been made on that yet.

Regards
Paul

QUICKSILVER2002
April 25th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Paul, that leads right to my next question.

I own an EFI-live v6 license (not flashscan yet), but I’m still using the old Autotap cable. I just purchased an ls2 powered car (I also have 2 other ls1 cars) and I would really like to do some scanning on the ls2.

Autotap has a $250 upgrade available to get CAN support, but they require that I send in my old cable. I don’t really need to do much on the ls2 yet, so the limited capabilities of the Autotap software would probably work for now. However, I still really need the power of EFI-Live for my ls1 running FI. I’m concerned that I might not be able to use EFI-Live with their new cable.

So, I’m trying to figure out what the heck I should do. Waiting till next year for you guys to support CAN would be the best move, but I don’t think I can wait that long. Any suggestions?

I also found another basic scanner product that supports CAN and the basic software/cable setup is available for $250. I know it is probably not very powerful, but I just need some real basic capabilities right now (like MAF,IAT...)

Blacky
April 25th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Autotap has a $250 upgrade available to get CAN support, but they require that I send in my old cable.

If you upgrade your cable, AutoTap should send you a matching EFILive license of the same type that you had with your old cable, for the new cable. If there is any problem gettting that done, let me know.

Regards
Paul

Renford
April 26th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Autotap has a $250 upgrade available to get CAN support, but they require that I send in my old cable.

If you upgrade your cable, AutoTap should send you a matching EFILive license of the same type that you had with your old cable, for the new cable. If there is any problem gettting that done, let me know.

Regards
Paul

The ATUSB hardware will support CAN, but I belive Autotap has not released software that supports Can yet, so even if you update you still won't be able to scan.

Regards Richard

QUICKSILVER2002
April 27th, 2005, 11:22 AM
The ATUSB hardware will support CAN, but I belive Autotap has not released software that supports Can yet, so even if you update you still won't be able to scan.

Regards Richard

Well that makes the autotap cable a waste. I guess I will purchase the other product that is currently available. Thanks for the info, I just assumed their software supported it.