PDA

View Full Version : Dtc P0200

Doc
January 5th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Hello all,
I've got a new situation. I have been trying to help a guy out with his tune for a while now. I could'nt really do anything until last night. The vehicle is a 03 RCSB with a 220 cam and bolt on's. Real simple, that is unless you are dealing with a major mail order tuner that has the tune locked. The truck is really nice and has some impressive track times but the drivability just sucks.This guy has already spent a $1k usd on "two" tunes. The first "tune" was for just the bolt ons and then the second was for the cam. What really adds insult to this injury is this "Tuner" has all kinds of photos, track times whatnot on his website of this guy's truck. Well for all the hard earned dough this guy has put out the truck doesn't run like it should.

Finally after many repeated unanswered phone calls, emails, he gets ahold of this guy and this tuners biggest concern is the "intellectual property" of the tune getting out. Maybe he doesn't want any further embarassment but, he agrees to send out another pcm with the tune unlocked.

We got the pcm last night and right on startup we got the following codes. All of the codes reset except the P0200 Injector control ckt.

The attached tune was what was in the pcm. I tried to find an unaltered OS 12593058 to no avail. There are sevral Out of range values that EFI Live detected but when I compared the values to OS 12579405 I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

At any rate the truck ran worse than the locked pcm tune(which we still have by the way). We are supposed to send the locked pcm back.

After looking up the code in the service manual it basically says it's a wire, fuse, or the pcm. Seeing how the locked pcm doesn't pop this code or run like the unlocked one I am leaning twoards the pcm.

Unfortuneatly, I jumped right in and linked my v1 cable to this pcm. Does anybody have a ckt diagram for a 1mb pcm?

My next step is to check the output pins on the pcm when the guy brings it back to me. Hopefully it's just a pushed, bent, corroded, or cold solder joint.

Thanks

TAQuickness
January 5th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Sounds like the unlocked PCM has bad injector drivers in it. I would download a copy of the unlocked tune, send the PCM back, then contact wait4me and buy a new PCM.

You got the tune and your hands are clean of dealing with the "pro"

joecar
January 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Yes, I agree, sounds like PCM has several bad drivers.

wait4me
January 5th, 2007, 08:22 AM
What injectors is he using? IF they are stock, then it could be a messed up operating system too though.

There are out of range tables for sure in there. Email me the COMPLETE specs and the VIN and ill send you a file that will make it perfect drivability. Too many things are wrong in the file. So it will be best to start over.

Doc
January 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM
How often have you guys seen the bad drivers issue? I wish it were as simple as just sending it back at this point. My goofy ass just went ahead and linked my V1 cable to it prior to thoroughly investigating the whole matter. I mean I have access to a micro soldering bench with a huntron tracker logic signature anlayzer at work, if I had a diagram I could/would remove and replace any failed discrete components.

Funny thing though, the pcm passses/performs all other functions.

Chevy366
January 5th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Just so happens I have one of those tunes also (Nelson Performance 5.3L, 93 Octane), when I open it throws the out of range also but just {G1201} , anti-theft system .
Here is the .tun file .
Think it is for a 04 though .

wait4me
January 5th, 2007, 10:42 AM
the injectors could just be bad, I have a set of injectors that makes that same code show on any computer. but i put in a different set and it dont throw the code. ??

Doc
January 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Jesse,
Thanks for taking the time to stop by my thread.

What injectors is he using?

They are stock.

Email heading your way.

Doc
January 9th, 2007, 01:51 AM
I think I found the problem. Took the bugger apart at work. Started probing with the Huntron Tracker all the injector drivers...All good. Crap! Then I noticed a pushed pin that was backing into it's brother behind it. Methinks this is it. Can't wait to get home and try it out.
:rockon:

joecar
January 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I think I found the problem. Took the bugger apart at work. Started probing with the Huntron Tracker all the injector drivers...All good. Crap! Then I noticed a pushed pin that was backing into it's brother behind it. Methinks this is it. Can't wait to get home and try it out.
:rockon:Good work. :cheers:

Doc
January 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
First thanks to everyone who looked at and commented with all the helpful suggestions in the forum and in PMs.

Ok, I found the problem....Upon disassembly on a controlled Electro Static Discharge (ESD) free workstation I did a thorough inspection of the pcm and found a main board input lead on the green connector (lower) was pushed in enough to back up against one of the blue connector input connector leads causing a short resulting in the P0200 Injector driver failure hard code. Fortuneatly signature analysis with the Huntron Tracker showed no permanant dammage to any of the onboard components and the repair was made to the pcm's main input connector. Tonight I sucessfully reinstalled and put the new pcm through serval on-off drive cycles in the truck with the original Pro Tuner tune with no problems. Lesson learned here on our end...before you launch into low earth orbit on a galatic troubleshooting scheme, carefully inspect the unit in an approved ESD free station for the most or not so obvious of malfunctions, in this case a pushed pin. Next question how many other pcms have been thrown in the dumper because of the pushed pin senario?-just something to think about folks.

tunedportcj5
January 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
You are crazy Harrison!!! :rockon: Nice work dude!:cheers:

bluecajun5.3
January 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
yeah this dude knows his chit!
awsome work!

TAQuickness
January 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Good work Doc. Always good to start with the simple stuff when trouble shooting. Fresh eyes don't hurt either.

joecar
January 10th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Lesson learned here on our end...before you launch into low earth orbit on a galatic troubleshooting scheme, carefully inspect the unit... Good lesson... also applicable to any new/used/old part prior to installation.

Good work.
:cheers:

tunedportcj5
January 10th, 2007, 08:03 AM
He said... "Inspect the Unit" :bash: :muahaha: