PDA

View Full Version : Narrowband Simulation Wiring

NewV
January 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I want to do simple NB simulation with a permanent install of my WB02. This is a PLX WB so I need to place a 20 Ohm resistor across the NB Heater power and Heater ground. I can then use the controller output to the NB O2 signal input. Sounds simple enough but I want it to look clean. I've ordered a new NB pigtail but not sure which of the 4 wires does what. I have a PCM diagram but don't want to tear apart my front end to get to the PCM to see what color the wires are.

Does anyone know what the 4 NB wires are by color or location on the connector? Basically its 2 each power and ground for heater and signal but which two?

On the PCM side of the connector the wires are grey/white, red or pink/black, yellow or brown, brown or purple/white. Hard to see down there. On the NB side of the connector I have 2 black, 1 white, 1 blue. I'm assuming the 2 black are grounds.

This is an 2005 LS6 CTS-V, thanks for any help. BTW I've seen the LC-1 hookups but none of the wires are described by color.

ringram
January 5th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Pop a DMM onto it. You have 12V, GRND, Sig Grnd, Sig.
Sig is like 4.5v, 12v is well.. 12v I think the main ground is next to the 12v.. but check the plugs.
Definately use a MM to check though.

NewV
January 5th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Pop a DMM onto it. You have 12V, GRND, Sig Grnd, Sig.
Sig is like 4.5v, 12v is well.. 12v I think the main ground is next to the 12v.. but check the plugs.
Definately use a MM to check though.

I would have expected the Signal to be <= 1V for the NB??

SSpdDmon
January 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM
This is from a 99 C5 shop manual. I don't know if it would be the same or not for the Cadi...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/392000-392999/392531_120_full.jpg

A - Needs to be grounded to the chasis.
B - NBO2 signal wire.
C - Sensor heater ground.
D - Sensor power supply.

350SS
January 5th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Which sensor are you replacing, bank 1 or 2?

350SS
January 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM
As far as I know for the 05 CTSV:
Bank 1 Sensor 1 at the plug
Pos A Tan O2 Low
Pos B Ppl/Wht O2 High
Pos C Gry/Wht Heater Low
Pos D Pnk/Blk Heater High

Bank 2 Sensor 1 at the plug
Pos A Tan O2 Low
Pos B Ppl O2 High
Pos C Lt Grn Heater Low
Pos D Pnk/Blk Heater High

Hope that helps :beer:

Max

If you get this to work please post up; I can't figure out what to wire the gray (NB) wire from the PLX unit to...O2 high or Low and then what goes to the one left over?

joecar
January 5th, 2007, 07:59 AM
GM Service Manual->2005->Cadillac->CTS->5.7 confirms what 350SS said.

NewV
January 5th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Which sensor are you replacing, bank 1 or 2?

Drivers side before the CAT not sure what bank # that is but it looks like 1 based on your wiring list.

joecar
January 5th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Bank 1 is LHS of car (US driver side), contains the odd numbered cylinders.

NewV
January 5th, 2007, 08:14 AM
As far as I know for the 05 CTSV:
If you get this to work please post up; I can't figure out what to wire the gray (NB) wire from the PLX unit to...O2 high or Low and then what goes to the one left over?

Max - I posted on the PLX board but their response levels are a bit inferior to the crack team here. I'll let you know how it works out should have it done by next weekend waiting on some parts. Based on SSpdDmon's post I'm assuming grey goes into Pos B.

Everybody else - Thanks as usual

limited cv8r
January 6th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I think the signal voltage is 450 mV , not 4.5 volts.

ringram
January 7th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Hmm, I think the PCM pumps 4.5v into the NB which then puts out 0-1v
I could be wrong.. but thats what I recall from installing mine.

I stand to be corrected however.

limited cv8r
January 7th, 2007, 01:10 AM
There's a good chance that I could be wrong, been a fair while since I tried to do this myself, hmmm got me thinking now:Eyecrazy:

Ninety8C5
January 7th, 2007, 02:48 AM
I'm thinking of getting a PLX, but want to leave the 20 ohm resistor for the heater circuit out. If I turn off the DTC's for the narrowband heater will the PCM be happy? :nixweiss:

NewV
January 7th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I'm thinking of getting a PLX, but want to leave the 20 ohm resistor for the heater circuit out. If I turn off the DTC's for the narrowband heater will the PCM be happy? :nixweiss:

Thats what I am running now, works fine for me in Open Loop. If you go back to Closed Loop I don't think it will like it. I'm guessing the fuel trims on one bank would be way off.

I posted this question on the PLX board, I'll let you know what I hear.

FreddyG
January 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I've been watching this post and was wondering if you've heard anything from the PLX board yet concerning the resistor?

NewV
January 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I've been watching this post and was wondering if you've heard anything from the PLX board yet concerning the resistor?

Nope still nothing. Great products but they could seriously learn a few things from the EFILive board about customer support over the internet.

Doc
January 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Nope still nothing. Great products but they could seriously learn a few things from the EFILive board about customer support over the internet.

The few, the proud, the LIVE

NewV
January 12th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Update for interested parties:

Still no word from PLX but I did locate an older post on their board that implied if you could turn off the DTC codes you did not need the resistor.

I finally got around to wiring up the NB simulation last night and my permanent install. A Cadillac looks so much cleaner without cables running thru the top of the hood and into the door crack. Not to mention the mess on the passenger floor. :)

This AM I threw in my pre-AutoVE tune just to test out closed loop and the NB simulation. I DO NOT have the heater resistor installed but DO have the NB simulation (grey) wire, wired into the factory O2 harness via the "Pos B Ppl/Wht O2 High". Before I threw the tune in, I did disable the reporting and mil for P0053 and P0135. I did a quick test with the reporting enabled and P0135 was thrown.

Happy to report it does appear to work as advertised although I am running lean. Of course I don't have any old logs that tell me if I was running lean or not as it was prior to the WB install.

Log file attached for your viewing pleasure.

:beer:

FreddyG
January 12th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted! This is Very good info to know and I'm pretty sure that you just made up my mind as to which WB02 that I'm getting!

Thanks again!

NewV
January 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Last Update: Mission Accomplished

The 20 Ohm resistor I ordered arrived in the mail. All hooked up across Pos C/D, DTC codes have been re-enabled and no codes are thrown. The resistor does get a little warm though so be careful where you mount it. Link to ebay resistor I ordered in case you are interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330048418014&rd=1&rd=1

Also I did purchase the DM-5 gauge with the SM-AFR and recommend it for a permanent install. The gauge is as easy to hook up as the rest of the system.

Note: You should also review your tune for B4105 O2 Switch voltage for whatever bank you install the WB on. In my stock tune the switch was at 450 mv, The SM-AFR sensor switches at 500 mv. Once changed it did get rid of some of the lean ~.2 and idled smoother.

joecar
January 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Hmmm... 10W resistor, and it gets hot... :-|

MIL spec too. :cheers: