PDA

View Full Version : Reflash Issues

RevGTO
January 6th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I supposedly have a Commercial version, but when attempting to do a full reflash to an 02 OS, the "Program PCM operating system and calibrations" command is not highlighted. I've tried to contact my reseller ... any ideas on this?

Secondly, the tutorial shows a strong warning about doing a full reflash while the computer is in the car unless a "star connector" is used ... what is this, how do you go about getting one, is it really necessary, etc.? Any help is appreciated.

Tordne
January 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Do you have the FlashScan interface connected to the laptop/pc before opening the Tune Tool? The cable has to be connected so that the software can check the license, only if it verifies a Commercial (or Workshop obviously) cable will that full reflash icon be enabled.

With the cable connected also do a Help->About and see what it ways.

I believe the Star Connector is a means of isolating the PCM from other things on the OBDII bus. I think the general advice is to make sure that all your accessories are turned off. But you may want to wait for someone else to comment. Holden's only have the PCM on the OBDII bus, the BCM in our vehicles (right now anyway) are ALDL.

RevGTO
January 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Yes. In fact, I just performed a calibration only reflash of my existing OS and it went perfectly. That OS reflash button is just not turned on.

I'm interested in any other info on an in-car full reflash ...

Tordne
January 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Did you verify your license level?

wait4me
January 6th, 2007, 10:53 AM
The Cable has to be plugged IN first before you start your software for the full write option to show up. That is usually the cause.

RevGTO
January 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Duh ... when in doubt, try the obvious ... yep, it says Personal Scan and Tune. This is one those units that started out life as Personal and was supposedly upgraded to Commercial when V2 came out. Guess the process wasn't done right ...

TAQuickness
January 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I've done a few full flashes with the PCM in car. I don't have a star connector. The star connector will help minimize the chance of anything going wrong, but I personally have not found the need for one. That said, I keep a spare PCM on my shelf, just in case...

GMPX
January 6th, 2007, 12:54 PM
The Star connector is something GM recommend when programming with TechII. Basically it isolates the PCM from the data bus so no other modules might interrupt the programming process.

Our programming routines are pretty robust so one would not normally need to install that Star connector.
It's sort of like the "You may cut yourself with this sharp knife" warning.....if you do, don't say we didn't warn you :)

Cheers,
Ross

RevGTO
January 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I always assumed that everybody did a full reflash with the PCM in the car, having never heard otherwise until I took a close look at that warning.