PDA

View Full Version : Logging on a 02 LL8 problems

ScarabEpic22
January 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Hey everyone, I have never been able to get my V1.2 to BB log yet (had it ~10mo and have a V2 cable now). I have followed the tutorial to the "t" numerous times, but no success. When it validates the PIDs, it gives me the correct message (not an error) and then I load PIDs (tried both Dynamic and Fast FPS) with no problems. Plug it in and start driving, hit start and it shows the green "Log" light but when I plug it into my PC again I get nothing. It shows there are PIDs on the cable, but I have never got any data files. The only way I can log is by a laptop (have to borrow one, usually my dad's which is a pain) so if there are any tricks I should know about, or should I just wait until V2 comes out with BB logging and tuning?

Blacky
January 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Have you tried both scan modes; Dynamic and Fast (10fps)?

Another potential problem on some vehicles is selecting less than 6 channels. Make sure the PID selection you have uses 6 or more channels - preferrably 12 or more.

Lastly, have you run a memory test on the V1 cable successfully?

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
January 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Have you tried both scan modes; Dynamic and Fast (10fps)?
Yes, I have tried both modes at least 2x each.

Another potential problem on some vehicles is selecting less than 6 channels. Make sure the PID selection you have uses 6 or more channels - preferrably 12 or more.

OK, I bet I am trying to log too many PIDs, I think I have ~20 going but I will try removing some.

Lastly, have you run a memory test on the V1 cable successfully?
Yes, both memory tests I did on my cable (both old and last week) were fine.

Regards
Paul

Thanks for the advice, I will try the ideas out when I get home.

wait4me
March 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
also make sure that you give the cable permission to log a reasonable amount of data. You might have the "Max frames per log" set way to low. May the number huge and try again.

ScarabEpic22
March 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM
also make sure that you give the cable permission to log a reasonable amount of data. You might have the "Max frames per log" set way to low. May the number huge and try again.

Thanks, I might try that a little later. Right now Im not worried, and am trying to have some fun with my ride instead of always doing something to it!

But, I know V2 will make this easier when standalone comes out, but I will dig out the ol' V1.2 and see if this is the problem.

Just programmed my V1 now and set the frames to log to 30000, something it will never hit. # of logs shows 1 now.

WanaDmxsub
October 4th, 2007, 02:47 PM
What am I missing?
I have this exact same problem.
Works great on the laptop, but will not BB log.
Tried 0 and 30,000 frames to log.
Read every post I could find...
V1, newest version (Not 7.5), '04 LB7

Blacky
October 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Make sure ALL the PIDs you have selected are valid for the vehicle that you intend to BB log. If any PID is not valid it can cause the BB log to not log any data.

Also, when select the menu option: FlashScan->Program selected PIDs into FlashScan, you must click on the [PIDs] button to program the PIDs into the FlashScan unit, then click [Close].

Clicking on [Validate] will disable BB logging and set up FlashScan for PID validation only.

Regards
Paul

WanaDmxsub
October 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks, I'll give it another try in the morning.

WanaDmxsub
October 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
No change. I have a couple of other things/ideas to try tomorrow.

Blacky
October 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Two other things to try...

1. Try the memory test - see if the Flash Memory is ok.

2. Then use the [Reset] option to restore to BB logging memory to factory defaults. That puts it into validate PIDs mode - so after doing the RESET, you need to click the [PIDs] button again to get it back to BB logging mode.

Regards
Paul

WanaDmxsub
October 6th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Still not working.
Say's it's ready to log.
But after I do a log, when I go to get it with the laptop there is nothing in the BB.
Logging does work with the laptop.

WanaDmxsub
October 6th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Added a sig.

Blacky
October 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Still not working.
Say's it's ready to log.
But after I do a log, when I go to get it with the laptop there is nothing in the BB.
Logging does work with the laptop.
After you've set up FlashScan to be ready for BB logging - but before you actually attempt to do any BB logging, use the [Dump] button (in the BB logging upload window) to save the memory contents to a file.
Then attempt to BB log and then dump the contents to a second file.

Please zip and send both files to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

WanaDmxsub
October 7th, 2007, 10:04 AM
E-mail sent.

Blacky
October 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM
The FlashScan V1 BB logger can not log more than 24 channels simultaneously on some controllers. The problem is fixed in the FlashScan V2 BB logger.

To log data on your Duramax controller, please reduce the channel count to 24 or less.

Channel count is displayed at the bottom of the PID selection frame.
Channel count increases by 6 each time the sum of channels of the selected PIDs reaches a multiple of 6.

i.e.
if you select PIDs that use 1-6 channels between them, the channel count shows as 6.
if you select PIDs that use 7-12 channels between them, the channel count shows as 12.
if you select PIDs that use 13-18 channels between them, the channel count shows as 18.
if you select PIDs that use 19-24 channels between them, the channel count shows as 24.
if you select PIDs that use 25-30 channels between them, the channel count shows as 30.
etc...

The PID selection that is currently in your FlashScan BB log memory uses 26 channels - so it shows up as 30 channels used.
You need to remove either 1 PID of 2 channels, or 2 PIDs of 1 channel to get the channel count back to 24.
Then re-program FlashScan with the reduced PID selection.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
October 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Plug it in and start driving, hit start and it shows the green "Log" light but when I plug it into my PC again I get nothing. It shows there are PIDs on the cable, but I have never got any data files.

Just for your info, the green LOG light is showing and it looks like it is logging data but the only "data" that is being received by FlashScan is the error message from the PCM saying "you've requested too many channels". The BB logger is programmed to keep retrying on an error until the user presses the stop logging button.

Regards
Paul

WanaDmxsub
October 7th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Opps:doh:
Thanks for your time.

ScarabEpic22
October 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Just for your info, the green LOG light is showing and it looks like it is logging data but the only "data" that is being received by FlashScan is the error message from the PCM saying "you've requested too many channels". The BB logger is programmed to keep retrying on an error until the user presses the stop logging button.

Regards
Paul

Thanks, Ive given up on my V1, hasnt come out of the closet since I got my V2. Now that I actually have a laptop with decent battery life I just log with it. Really cant wait till standalone though, but Im patient and I know good things come to those who wait. :D

WanaDmxsub
October 7th, 2007, 02:22 PM
ScarabEpic22
I appoligize for hijacking your thread.

Blacky
That didn't work either. 16 channels for a count of 24.

ScarabEpic22
October 7th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Hey man, dont worry about it. Ive just given up hope of making it work, Im actually glad someone has more desire to get it to work. It was driving me nuts, so I said forget it.

Blacky
October 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Blacky
That didn't work either. 16 channels for a count of 24.

Hmm, right now I'm out of ideas. I will see if I can come up with anything else useful.

Maybe try logging on an LS1, if you have access to one. That will tell whether the unit is faulty or if some incompatibility has crept into the software for duramax and other non-LS1 controllers.

Obviously you'd need to program a different set of LS1 PIDs.

Regards
Paul

WanaDmxsub
October 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Regards
Paul

Is there a way that I could see that or other messages being sent back from the PCM.

Blacky
October 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Is there a way that I could see that or other messages being sent back from the PCM.

No, because there is no display on FlashScan V1, so there is no obvious way to alert the user to an error condition. (V2 will change that with its ability to display messages on its built in screen).

One way to tell if the logging is working is to watch the MEM LED which will illuminate as soon as the first frame of data is saved into the BB memory. If it illuminates then data is getting saved. If it does not illuminate then only errors are being returned.

Regards
Paul