PDA

View Full Version : MAF Tuning Question

CGTMS
January 8th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Our shop tuned our first EFILive car this weekend. It was a 2002 Camaro SS. It had a mail order tune in it when it came in to the shop. After a baseline on the dyno, it was running 313 HP and pig rich at 10.5 AFR WOT.

In SD mode using the AutoVE tune we got the AFR at a sweet 12.8 and had a peak power of 349 HP! The AutoVE tune option is soooo nice! I love EFIlive software. Thanks for such a great product.

We now want to tune the MAF. If we plug it in, the car is running very rich. So I have a few questions to get me started.

1. If you don't force the car to be in SD mode, it seems that the car is using the MAF at WOT...Is that correct?

2. When tuning the MAF, how do you ensure the car is using the MAF sensor and not in SD mode? I am thinking you would lower the {B0120} to like 500 RPM and filter out all the TPI transitions after data logging the BEN factor for the MAF.

Thanks for the support!

SSpdDmon
January 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Our shop tuned our first EFILive car this weekend. It was a 2002 Camaro SS. It had a mail order tune in it when it came in to the shop. After a baseline on the dyno, it was running 313 HP and pig rich at 10.5 AFR WOT.

In SD mode using the AutoVE tune we got the AFR at a sweet 12.8 and had a peak power of 349 HP! The AutoVE tune option is soooo nice! I love EFIlive software. Thanks for such a great product.

We now want to tune the MAF. If we plug it in, the car is running very rich. So I have a few questions to get me started.

1. If you don't force the car to be in SD mode, it seems that the car is using the MAF at WOT...Is that correct?

Yes, the MAF will usually take over completely based on the RPM set in B0120.

2. When tuning the MAF, how do you ensure the car is using the MAF sensor and not in SD mode? I am thinking you would lower the {B0120} to like 500 RPM and filter out all the TPI transitions after data logging the BEN factor for the MAF.

I leave that setting stock as do most I believe. Since you already tuned the VE, you're now bringing the MAF inline with the rest of the car. To re-enable the MAF, just reverse the steps for speed density. Restore the MAF fail frequencies, MAF DTC's and make sure the sensor is plugged in. Then, perform the same adjustments to the MAF table like you did the VE table using commanded AFR vs. WBO2 AFR vs. MAF Hz (aka BEN Factor). This is while the vehicle is still in open loop with no LTFT's, no DFCO, and the high octane table still copied to the low. The PCM will now be using the high with the MAF back on, but won't move the timing as long as the high/low equal each other. To minimize time consumption, it might be easier to alter MAF cells in groups. Get a general idea of how far off the cells are for a small range (ie 7125Hz~7500Hz) and make a single change for those cells.

Thanks for the support!

Hope that helps...

CGTMS
January 8th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Very helpful. Thanks!