PDA

View Full Version : Caught in the middle between V1 and V2

Extinct
January 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Guys, some advice please, as I feel I am caught in the middle between V1 and V2.

Right now, I have used one license on my V1 cable and love the stand alone logging.

Recently bought V2, but have not transfered anything over yet.

I would wait until stand alone logging is released, but I need to get my V2 going for an upcoming Dyno day that I want to have my LBZ tuned for when i show up. Problem is (as I understand it), once I set up the V2, I won't be able to use the V1 to log anymore.

I'm not so concerned about the flashing - don't mind using the pass through for that.

Any thoughts, suggestions ?

Could I just not transfer my licenses from V1 and still log those while using my V2 for log and flash on the V2 ? If so, could I then transfer my V1 licenses at a later date ?

Thanks in advance for any advice !

Tordne
January 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
So the LBZ will only work on the V2 (as you probably already know).

Once you have upgraded your V1 to V2 and transfered any licenses etc. you will not able able to add additional PCM licenses to the V1 cable. You will still be able to tune/scan vehicles that the V1 cable was already licensed to.

So as I see it you should be able to have the best of both worlds :)

Extinct
January 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM
So the LBZ will only work on the V2 (as you probably already know).

Once you have upgraded your V1 to V2 and transfered any licenses etc. you will not able able to add additional PCM licenses to the V1 cable. You will still be able to tune/scan vehicles that the V1 cable was already licensed to.

So as I see it you should be able to have the best of both worlds :)

Really ? That's freaking perfect !

Tordne
January 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM
But of course :master:

joecar
January 9th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Oh, I was under the impression that if a licence was transferred from V1, then it would not be available on V1 anymore...
so, is my impression wrong...?

Tordne
January 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
As I understand it the VIN licenses in the V1 will still allow scan/tune of the PCM ID's in the cable, but that no more licenses can be added to the V1 cable after the upgrade. I'll double check with Paul, but pretty sure this is the way it is...

TAQuickness
January 9th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I got your back Tordne - I have the same impression but haven't tried the transfer yet to prove it out.

Tordne
January 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Confirmed. The FlashScan V1 interface can still be used to scan/tune from vehicles that had already be licensed to that interface. Unused slots are obviously transfered to the V2 and not further licenses can be issued to the upgraded V1 interface.

ScarabEpic22
January 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Interesting, I thought that if you transferred licenses over from V1 to V2 that your V1 could only BB log and scan not tune anymore. I transferred both the used PCM license and the 1 unused one from my V1 to my V2 cable, I will try to flash again with my V1 cable soon and see if it works.

Extinct
January 10th, 2007, 12:06 AM
And, can I still use the V1 to scan and tune the one vehicle I have on it, even if I transfer that vehicles license to the V2 ? At some point I would like to use the V2 standalone features - but as I explained above, those are not available now and that is why I want to use both cables - for different purposes.

kbracing96
January 10th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Yes, the V1 will maintain all the functions it has before the upgrade. You will be able to scan AND tune your already licensed PCM with both V1 and V2. Really, you are only transferring selected unused licenses. It is "copying" (a better word) the USED licenses from V1 to V2. So it will still be on your V1. You will just no longer be able to add new unused licenses to your V1 after you run the transfer/copy utility that comes with V2. Make since?

ScarabEpic22
January 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Gotcha, so basically when I ran the update program and transferred my used LL8 license and 1 unused license it transferred the ununsed one but copied the used one? So, I can still scan/tune with my V1 cable on my LL8 then, good to know I can still tune with it (think you can scan with it even if you dont have a license hooked up b/c EFILive uses a license only when you flash not read like HPTuners).

JohnL
January 12th, 2007, 11:05 AM
...You will just no longer be able to add new unused licenses to your V1 after you run the transfer/copy utility that comes with V2. Make since?Does this mean that a V1 user who upgrades to V2 cannot sell the V1 hardware for someone else to use and add licences to?

John

kbracing96
January 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Does this mean that a V1 user who upgrades to V2 cannot sell the V1 hardware for someone else to use and add licences to?

John
If you leave at lease one unused license on it when you run the transfer utility, then it still has some resale value for a tuner and a scanner to someone else. But no NEW licenses can be added to it. If you transfer ALL your unused licences, then it only good to some one else as a scanner. Not near as much value. If your looking to sell it to off set cost of a V2, then I'd probably leave at least 2 unused licenses on it.

joecar
January 12th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Would this be how it works (for example)...

Say V1 has 3 free and 1 used licenses;
Say V2 has 2 free;

If I copy 1 used licence, then:
V1 ends up with 3 free;
V2 ends up with 2 free and 1 used;

Or if I copy 1 used and 1 free, then:
V1 ends up with 2 free;
V2 ends up with 3 free and 1 used;

Is this correct...?

kbracing96
January 12th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Would this be how it works (for example)...

Say V1 has 3 free and 1 used licenses;
Say V2 has 2 free;

If I copy 1 used licence, then:
V1 ends up with 3 free; 1 used
V2 ends up with 2 free and 1 used;

Or if I copy 1 used and 1 free, then:
V1 ends up with 2 free; 1 used
V2 ends up with 3 free and 1 used;

Is this correct...?
Pretty much, but the V1 will STILL have the used license on it after the COPY. The used licenses are only copied, not transferred. So you can still tune with the used license with the V1 to that PCM and also tune with the used license with the V2 .

JohnL
January 12th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Pretty much, but the V1 will STILL have the used license on it after the COPY. The used licenses are only copied, not transferred. So you can still tune with the used license with the V1 to that PCM and also tune with the used license with the V2 .That's helpful thanks. But can the person who buys the V1 from you then buy some new licences for that V1 to tune new cars?

John

joecar
January 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM
That's helpful thanks. But can the person who buys the V1 from you then buy some new licences for that V1 to tune new cars?

John
John,

No.

My understanding is that once you've copied/moved licenses from the V1 to the V2,
the V1 will not be able to have licenses added to it.

The reason is because in this case the V2 is an upgrade (at an upgrade price).

Cheers,
Joe

kbracing96
January 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM
That's helpful thanks. But can the person who buys the V1 from you then buy some new licences for that V1 to tune new cars?

John

Not if its been used to upgrade to a V2. Once that SN has been up-graded, you can no longer add new licences to it.

joecar
January 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM
:D KB, I beat you to it (probably by seconds....) :D

kbracing96
January 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I must have been waiting for my turbo to spool :bash::muahaha:

Stupid rear mounts, haha:notacrook: I will get ya on the big end though since I already have V2 :lol:

JohnL
January 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks blokes ;-) Now crystal clear!

John

ringram
January 12th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I suspect its not actually physically blocked from adding licenses more that the number is regsitered as an upgrade unit and efilive wont issue any more licenses for it...
Whether they will for a fee re-enable (or even if this is possible) is unknown.

Extinct
January 17th, 2007, 12:04 AM
One more question on this subject.

Do I need to transfer (copy) my V1 licenses to my V2 before I read my first vehicle on my V2 (my LBZ), or would it be ok to go ahead and read the LBZ first and do the transfer later.

I only ask because the car is in the shop and I don't have access to it, but I want to get started on the LBZ now !

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows !

kbracing96
January 17th, 2007, 04:18 AM
I believe the V2 is shipped in "transfer" mode and you need to run the utility to finish the setup on the V2. You don't need your other car for the transfer, just your V1. You plug both cables into your computer at the same time and it will run the transfer utility, and then you can use your V2 for what ever you want. :D

ScarabEpic22
January 17th, 2007, 11:39 AM
You have to run the transfer prog before your V2 can be used for anything. If you want to read your LBZ, you have to hook your V1 and V2 to your PC, run the transfer prog, and then remove the V1. Then go ahead and scan/tune your LBZ.

Extinct
January 17th, 2007, 02:14 PM
You have to run the transfer prog before your V2 can be used for anything. If you want to read your LBZ, you have to hook your V1 and V2 to your PC, run the transfer prog, and then remove the V1. Then go ahead and scan/tune your LBZ.

Bummer, car is in the shop. Well, I'll just download the LBZ tune from Tordne's site.

Thanks for the answer !

Tordne
January 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Good timing - 2 guys submitted those LBZ tunes just yesterday :)

joecar
January 31st, 2007, 06:12 AM
My current situation:
V1: 3 free, 1 used
V2: 2 free

What I want to end up with:
V1: 1 free, 1 used
V2: 4 free, 1 used

(i.e. copy the 1 used and move 2 of the free)

How do I do this (it seems to let me move all or none of the free)...?

Tordne
January 31st, 2007, 06:57 AM
Yeah, doesn't look like you can choose the licenses. It is a copy and move all scenario.

So you'll end up with:
V1: 0 free, 1 used
V2: 5 free, 1 used

Why keep a license on V1 anyway?

joecar
January 31st, 2007, 09:24 AM
I wanted one spare one in case I ever fried both PCM and V2 at the same time... pessimistic-worst-case-scenario... :) sounds improbable, but I'm a true believer of Murphy's Laws and all it's Corolloraries... :master:

I'll just go with 1+5. :cheers:

Biggsy
January 31st, 2007, 05:25 PM
I wanted one spare one in case I ever fried both PCM and V2 at the same time... pessimistic-worst-case-scenario... :) sounds improbable, but I'm a true believer of Murphy's Laws and all it's Corolloraries... :master:

I'll just go with 1+5. :cheers:

How bout, buy another PCM, licence it on V1, then transfer the rest to V2?

You will then be covered for the "Murphy's Law" !;)

Dave.

joecar
January 31st, 2007, 05:46 PM
How bout, buy another PCM, licence it on V1, then transfer the rest to V2?

You will then be covered for the "Murphy's Law" !;)

Dave.I was thinking that exact same thought on my way home from work... :cheers:

Biggsy
January 31st, 2007, 05:51 PM
I was thinking that exact same thought on my way home from work... :cheers:

sure............ trying to take some of the credit........I see.............

:joke:

:cheers:

Dave.

joecar
January 31st, 2007, 06:03 PM
sure............ trying to take some of the credit........I see.............

:joke:

:cheers:

Dave.Dave, ok... you get the credit and the beer... :cheers::cheers:

Biggsy
January 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
Dave, ok... you get the credit and the beer... :cheers::cheers:

Mmmmmmm Beer:beer:
Thanx:D

Going back on subject, until this thread was started I thought that once I had transferred licence from V1 to V2, it made V1 unusable for flashing.
I was going through processes in my head along the same lines of what you wanted to do
ie. keep a free licence in V1 incase (heaven forbid) something happened to my V2 which rendered it unusable, leaving me unable to flash my car.

I just dusted off my V1 and connected it, and, to my great pleasure, found all my PCM's still licenced to it!!!!!!

:banana:

An otherwise crap week just turned for the better!!!:notacrook:

Dave.