PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help, having some VE tuning trouble

Whippled 496
January 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Okay, so here is the deal. I have a whipple blower on my truck and a recently installed 2bar MAP sensor. I am running COS3 with a speed density tune. I really like the idea of being able to fine tune the areas in my whole VE table all the way into boost. I have a couple problems i need help with here.

(1)..While I am VE tuning I am having a VERY difficult time with IATs while trying to hit the higher RPM areas. It was about 70* outside today (freaky winter this is) and my cruising IATs are around 95*. However, when i pull it down into 2nd and 3rd gear to try and wind it out to hit the higher RPM cells, the IATs go up to around 105*-110*. This is not condusive for VeTuning because with the IATs that high, its going to throw the fueling off whack when the temps come back down. I figure my target temperature range for accurate fueling is 65*-85*, thus i have built a filter to filter out any cell hits where IATs are out of that range. Then, I can go back later and build my IAT multiplier based on temperature fluxuation. Basically, unless its going to be 40* outside, it looks like I am not going to be able to succesfully AutoVE tune my truck. Just wondering what you boosted guys do to try and dial in your VE table and how you use your IAT multiplier along with it. I have been trying for over a week and I cant seem to get this thing nailed down with the IATs all over the board like they tend to be in boosted vehicles.

(2) When I have a logged an extensive run and i am ready to paste and multiply from that MAP into my VE table, how can i get the surrounding cells (that i didnt hit) to blend in? Im never going to hit them all, but i dont want there to be significant differences between cells obviously.

(3) I notice as i drive, the colors of the cells seem to change. sometimes individually, and sometimes the whole MAP at once. I figured when they were changing individually, that it had something to do with how close i was to a 1.0 BEN. I have no idea though, why sometimes all the cells (that have been hit) will just change colors and the numbers inside them will change slightly. Can anyone explain the changing colors within the MAP and what they mean?

Thanks
Jimmie

Tordne
January 14th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Which row (temp) in the IAT multiplier do you want to be your 1.00 factor? I'll paste a table that you might be able to start with and see how you go.

Whippled 496
January 14th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Which row (temp) in the IAT multiplier do you want to be your 1.00 factor? I'll paste a table that you might be able to start with and see how you go.

I am thinking 86*F would be a good middle of the road temperature for a 1.00 factor.

Tordne
January 14th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Try these and let me know if it helps...

Whippled 496
January 14th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks a bunch Andrew! I will give them a go and let you know how they work. Any idea on the other 2 questions?

Thanks
Jimmie

TAQuickness
January 14th, 2007, 10:27 PM
2) As an example, select your entire map, right click, copy & fill with labels. You can paste this into a spreadsheet if you want to see the magic it does.

3) I've noticed this on occasion too. I've deemed it the result of transient's, but haven't looked into it any further.

1) Tordne's table should get you going. So long as your IAT's are referenced back to a "1 factor", it doesn't matter much what temp the 1 represents, unless you want to change the respective 1 later.

When I originally set this table up, my 1 = 122*F (was a major brain fart on my part), but it worked great. When I realized my mistake, I reset my 1 to 75*F. Talk about skew a tune. In the end, all it did was take me 5 days to shift my VE table.

Delco
January 14th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Okay, so here is the deal. I have a whipple blower on my truck and a recently installed 2bar MAP sensor. I am running COS3 with a speed density tune. I really like the idea of being able to fine tune the areas in my whole VE table all the way into boost. I have a couple problems i need help with here.

(1)..While I am VE tuning I am having a VERY difficult time with IATs while trying to hit the higher RPM areas. It was about 70* outside today (freaky winter this is) and my cruising IATs are around 95*. However, when i pull it down into 2nd and 3rd gear to try and wind it out to hit the higher RPM cells, the IATs go up to around 105*-110*. This is not condusive for VeTuning because with the IATs that high, its going to throw the fueling off whack when the temps come back down. I figure my target temperature range for accurate fueling is 65*-85*, thus i have built a filter to filter out any cell hits where IATs are out of that range. Then, I can go back later and build my IAT multiplier based on temperature fluxuation. Basically, unless its going to be 40* outside, it looks like I am not going to be able to succesfully AutoVE tune my truck. Just wondering what you boosted guys do to try and dial in your VE table and how you use your IAT multiplier along with it. I have been trying for over a week and I cant seem to get this thing nailed down with the IATs all over the board like they tend to be in boosted vehicles.

(2) When I have a logged an extensive run and i am ready to paste and multiply from that MAP into my VE table, how can i get the surrounding cells (that i didnt hit) to blend in? Im never going to hit them all, but i dont want there to be significant differences between cells obviously.

(3) I notice as i drive, the colors of the cells seem to change. sometimes individually, and sometimes the whole MAP at once. I figured when they were changing individually, that it had something to do with how close i was to a 1.0 BEN. I have no idea though, why sometimes all the cells (that have been hit) will just change colors and the numbers inside them will change slightly. Can anyone explain the changing colors within the MAP and what they mean?

Thanks
Jimmie

One word - DYNO , go and buy some time and get your base fueling dialed in , one thing you should remember though is if you cant get the IAT down on the road then dont stress , your fueling is right for the IAT it sees at that VE point.

One trick we do on the dyno is to run mains water through the intercooler so we can set the IAT temp to what we like by changing the coolant flow.

In your case I would worry about getting the off boost VE dialed in , the dial in the IAT multiplier off boost , then when you havge that nailed start to do the boost VE - your IAT multiplier should be right by this point so it doesnt matter if your IAT's are high as your multiplier factor will be very close.

Whippled 496
January 15th, 2007, 05:35 AM
One word - DYNO , go and buy some time and get your base fueling dialed in , one thing you should remember though is if you cant get the IAT down on the road then dont stress , your fueling is right for the IAT it sees at that VE point.

One trick we do on the dyno is to run mains water through the intercooler so we can set the IAT temp to what we like by changing the coolant flow.

In your case I would worry about getting the off boost VE dialed in , the dial in the IAT multiplier off boost , then when you havge that nailed start to do the boost VE - your IAT multiplier should be right by this point so it doesnt matter if your IAT's are high as your multiplier factor will be very close.

Yup, pretty spot on as far as what i was thinking. DYNO sounds like a good idea. Non-boost VE --> AIT multiplier --> Boost VE....thats the order i was trying to go in, just haven't got past the non-boost VE yet...:)

Thanks TA and DELCO