PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Commercial Version

Tordne
April 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I just noticed that the upgrade to the Commercial version of FlashScan has been made available on the Online Store.

It mentions 2 PCM licenses, however I currently have 4 PCM licenses for FlashScan Personal (from the one month introductory offer).

How will this upgrade work, will I still have 4 PCM licenses for the US$150

Cheers.

Blacky
April 29th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I just noticed that the upgrade to the Commercial version of FlashScan has been made available on the Online Store.

It mentions 2 PCM licenses, however I currently have 4 PCM licenses for FlashScan Personal (from the one month introductory offer).

Cheers.

Yes, the upgrade is an email code that you enter into the FlashScan cable. Once it sees the correct code, the FlashScan cable reprograms itself to be a Commercial cable. Any PCM licenses will remain unchanged.

Regards
Paul

bink
April 29th, 2005, 02:36 AM

Cheers.

Yes, the upgrade is an email code that you enter into the FlashScan cable. Once it sees the correct code, the FlashScan cable reprograms itself to be a Commercial cable. Any PCM licenses will remain unchanged.

Regards
Paul

How soon can I upgrade?? TIA.

Cheers,
joel

Blacky
April 29th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Cheers,
joel

It is available on our online store now - look in the upgrades section.
http://store.efilive.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=23

The web store does not ask you for your FlashScan serial number or license key (we'll fix it asap). So when you are ordering just add those details to the notes section.

Paul

Dirk Diggler
April 29th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Looks like i need to put the computer case purchase to the side for an upgrade this weekend

bink
April 29th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Cheers,
joel

It is available on our online store now - look in the upgrades section.
http://store.efilive.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=23

The web store does not ask you for your FlashScan serial number or license key (we'll fix it asap). So when you are ordering just add those details to the notes section.

Paul

Thank you.
I used the link..... :D

Cheers,
joel

John Skiba
April 29th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Paul

Corrected.

FastFieros
April 29th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Cheers.

Regards
Paul

I want to verify I am reading this correct. The upgrade "includes" 2 PCM licences with the commerial designation to allow the full flash and ETC cals.

So, if I have 4 current available licenses, then the upgrade will advance that to 6, and be commerial?

Loyde

Tordne
April 29th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I think what will actually happen is that you (and I) will retain the 4 PCM licenses that we currently have, but gain the full re-flash and additional functionality of the Commercial version.

I think the confusion about the 2 PCM licenses may just have come about because the product description of the upgrade product is identical to the full product.

Cheers.

joecar
April 29th, 2005, 07:23 AM
I think what will actually happen is that you (and I) will retain the 4 PCM licenses that we currently have, but gain the full re-flash and additional functionality of the Commercial version.

I think the confusion about the 2 PCM licenses may just have come about because the product description of the upgrade product is identical to the full product.

Cheers.

That's what I think (that you'll still have 4 licenses)...
(applying logical reasoning: if you had purchased n licenses at $100.00 each, and now you upgrade to commercial, it makes no sense to end up with fewer licenses than prior to upgrading).

Blacky
April 29th, 2005, 11:05 AM
The upgrade to Commercial does not include any PCM licenses and will not change whatever PCM licenses are in the cable.

Regards
Paul

warpster
April 29th, 2005, 11:16 AM
I know I'm showing my ignorance but...
What benefits do we actually get by upgrading to the commercial version? In other words how would it benefit me? Why would I want/need the added features?

Blacky
April 29th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I know I'm showing my ignorance but...
What benefits do we actually get by upgrading to the commercial version? In other words how would it benefit me? Why would I want/need the added features?

Not your fault, we have not adequately advertised or explained the commercial version yet - its still early days.

It is an email upgrade, so once you have ordered it we will send you an activation code via email.
You then enter the activation code in the "Help->FlashScan License" window on the [Upgrade Cable] tab page.
It will cost USD $150. The extra features you get with the Commercial version are:

1. Full PCM reflashing, which means you can flash EFILive's custom* operating systems that we will be releasing soon after the Commercial version is available.
It also means you can upgrade your PCM to a later model's oeprating system. Later models usually have better tuning options.
2. PCM locking, which means you can lock your tune into a PCM so that no one can read it or write over it.
3. Electronic Throttle Control calibrations.

Our custom operating systems provide the following extra functionality over a normal GM operating system:

1. Speed density (i.e. MAFless) operation with full adaptive spark/knock control, using dual spark maps.
2. Valet mode which allows you to calibrate a secondary RPM limit that is switchable via a hidden switch (that you fit). It is useful for when you leave the car with a valet driver to prevent abuse.
3. 2-bar support for turbo and super charged engines.

Regards
Paul

wait4me
April 29th, 2005, 11:58 AM
hey paul, The valet switch maybe turned into a two step for launches???

Blacky
April 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
hey paul, The valet switch maybe turned into a two step for launches???

You're always thinking Jese :)

XLR8NSS
April 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM
1. Full PCM reflashing, which means you can flash EFILive's custom* operating systems that we will be releasing soon after the Commercial version is available.
It also means you can upgrade your PCM to a later model's oeprating system. Later models usually have better tuning options.
Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra and have already used one of the slots on my Flashscan cable to program the PCM. If I got the commercial version upgrade and wanted to reflash the PCM to a 2001 calibration will I need to use another spot on my cable to tune that calibration or will the original slot I programmed my truck with still work with the newer year calibration PCM?

John

Dirk Diggler
April 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra and have already used one of the slots on my Flashscan cable to program the PCM. If I got the commercial version upgrade and wanted to reflash the PCM to a 2001 calibration will I need to use another spot on my cable to tune that calibration or will the original slot I programmed my truck with still work with the newer year calibration PCM?

John

Nope Flashscan locks itself to the PCM id (each PCM has a unique identifier) instead of the VIN. You can pretty much flash to any os/cal you want and go about your business

XLR8NSS
April 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Ok, that is what I was thinking but, wanted to make sure.

zrx1200
April 29th, 2005, 02:42 PM
i read elsewhere on the forum it is possible to toast the pcm what is the likely hood of that considering i have a vu ute..takes 10 mins to read ,wich is slow...i know in the early edit days they recomended using a bench harnes.

wait4me
April 29th, 2005, 02:48 PM
If anyone has a computer that is dead, or that efilive cant licence for some reason. I will trade you guys for one that will or fix the one you have. I Dont charge anyone on this site to do that for them. Just cover exact shipping. So Even if for some weird reason you have a battery go dead or something happens to it, ill take care of you guys.

Blacky
April 29th, 2005, 03:37 PM
i read elsewhere on the forum it is possible to toast the pcm what is the likely hood of that considering i have a vu ute..takes 10 mins to read ,wich is slow...i know in the early edit days they recomended using a bench harnes.

EFILive will never toast a PCM when reading or reflashing just the cal.

The only time EFILive can toast a PCM is in the 5-10 seconds that it takes to start a FULL reflash process. The 5-10 second window is the time between when EFILive has erased the PCM's operating system (the program in the PCM) and the time it takes to write the new comms routines back into the PCM. And even in that unlikely event, EFILive provides a recovery option*.

During that 5-10 seconds of window failure time a "skull and crossbones" icon is displayed, warning of the danger period.

* As long as power is supplied to the PCM, you can continually attempt to reflash it. EFILive will not terminate the reflash bootloader until a successful reflash has been achieved or power is removed from the PCM.

Are you using the latest V7.1.9 version of EFILive? It should not take 10 minutes to read a Ute.
Also V7.2 will be released in 2 weeks, I recommend upgrading to that version asap.

Regards
Paul

zrx1200
April 29th, 2005, 06:19 PM
i was waiting for 7.2 looks like i'll have to dowload the pre release.7.19.looks like i'll be updating..

GMPX
April 29th, 2005, 09:39 PM

10mins!!.
What version are you running?.
That is WAY, WAY too slow, should be about 2mins (or less).
You do of course have the high speed box ticked right?.

There is no problem reflashing a Ute via the OBD-II plug, just make sure you do have a resonably current version of the software. We did have some issues with the Utes back around January that was fixed with a later release.

Cheers,
Ross

zrx1200
April 30th, 2005, 05:51 PM
718 yes box was ticked dowloaded the pre release last night..(2 hrs on dial up) havent used it yet.will try tommorow.. ok it's tommorow..with 719..still 11 minutes..30 seconds to flash..