PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

SSonnentag
January 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Before I waste any time, can anyone tell me if EFI Live will work with Windows Vista? Will the drivers work? I'm sure the software is fine if the drivers load up OK.

TAQuickness
January 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
There is a thread on this in the lounge. I haven't followed it, but I don't think it's a straight forward install yet.

TAQuickness
January 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM
here's that thread: http://www.forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2745

Tordne
January 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Worked absolutely fine on Vista 32bit. 64 bit has driver issues and is not recommended. The full Aero Glass interface is pretty heave so you'll need a pretty significant system.

I used it on a Core Duo 2Ghz with 2Gb RAM and some things were slower (significantly) than under XP. IMO all incurred by the more visual experience of Vista.

2002_z28_six_speed
January 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Even if Vista doesn't supply increased performance over XP Microsoft has locked us into spending more money with them eventually. We will have to upgrade and MS will take its time. We are forced to.

I mean with the little amount of time left in XP's product support lifespan it won't be too much longer before they refuse to keep coming up with patches/updates for XP! Every 6 years they stop supports a product, right?

emarkay
January 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Even if Vista doesn't supply increased performance over XP Microsoft has locked us into spending more money with them eventually. We will have to upgrade and MS will take its time. We are forced to.

I mean with the little amount of time left in XP's product support lifespan it won't be too much longer before they refuse to keep coming up with patches/updates for XP! Every 6 years they stop supports a product, right?

I am still happily and securely using Windows 98SE... FYI.

Sort of like driving a NOS 1957 Chevy, with the parking lamp mod, halogen headlamps, a stealth dual master cylinder, and repro seatbelts. Not a 2000 Camaro, but better than when new - and still gets the job done! :)

joecar
January 17th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Sort of like driving a NOS 1957 Chevy, with the parking lamp mod, halogen headlamps, a stealth dual master cylinder, and repro seatbelts. Not a 2000 Camaro, but better than when new - and still gets the job done! :)Not many features, but simple and easy to troubleshoot and repair. :cheers:

2002_z28_six_speed
January 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Sort of like driving a NOS 1957 Chevy, with the parking lamp mod, halogen headlamps, a stealth dual master cylinder, and repro seatbelts. Not a 2000 Camaro, but better than when new - and still gets the job done! :)

Right. That was what my tuning laptop was. I just didn't want to plug it into the internet though. :frown: No support for the lastest security threats! Too bad the architechure of the PC had the first 64 mb of ram soldered on the board and it went bad.

emarkay
January 18th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Right. That was what my tuning laptop was. I just didn't want to plug it into the internet though. :frown: No support for the lastest security threats! Too bad the architechure of the PC had the first 64 mb of ram soldered on the board and it went bad.

You "be" talkin' to Mister Paranoid - From Computer Forensics to the latest malware, if it's a threat, I know about it and am protected, or have a workaround... :wave:

Most 'issues' are related to IE, Office, sloppy practices, and wanton sensual flings across the WWW and Internet.

Trust me, Win98 is MORE secure than XP - and NO ONE knows what holes Vista has!

FWIW see this NIST pub on XP.(!)
http://csrc.nist.gov/itsec/guidance_WinXP.html

2002_z28_six_speed
January 18th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I really don't doubt it.

I bet alot of my troubles are WHERE I use my computer too.

I have plugged in a laptop on a public connection running Linux where I had a couple of services running that I shouldn't have it and it was unbootable in less than 15 minutes. I talked to the network admin and traced it back to Aussie land. Wasn't worth any further investigation but we knew who did it.

redhardsupra
April 15th, 2007, 06:38 AM
some good vista compatibility info:

http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=198800462

myfast70
July 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Just installed EFI Live tonight on a brand new Sony Vaio with Vista. It works great so far, although I just downloaded the software and don't have anything else at this point.

ringram
July 23rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah software works fine on 64bit, but just try usb connectivity... no go.
32bit works fine.