PDA

View Full Version : ALDL Scan Option

CGTMS
January 18th, 2007, 02:34 PM
When the ALDL OBDI scan option comes out for V2, will we be able to create BEN function to an make AutoVE correction table? I do a lot of TPI tuning and that would make the tune so much faster.

Will this option be included in a free release or will it cost $$$. Thanks so much for any information on this option.

Tordne
January 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM
The OBDI support will be added with a firmware which is provided free.

As the functionality, it will depend very much on the information/PIDs that are presented by your vehicle via the OBDI protocol. If there is a commanded AFR PID available for the OBDI vehicle then a BEN map is likely to be a possibility.

I can't tell you any more than that :sad:

joecar
January 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I believe AFR is on all the GM OBD-I datastreams (...but correct me if I'm wrong... :bash:).

CGTMS
January 18th, 2007, 03:05 PM
You are correct...It is there. This is good news. I should be able to make the AutoVE work with the OBDI cars.

Is the expected release of this firmware some time this summer??? Thanks for the quick update on this! :rockon:

Tordne
January 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
It will definitely be second half of this year. It will require the new V8 software as well.

GMPX
January 18th, 2007, 04:08 PM
The problem with the OBD-I data is it is kinda slow and limited. I can't think of the top of my head if the TPI supports an AFR PID.

FYI, the PID streams on OBD-I is fixed, it works very different to OBD-I.

Cheers,
Ross

notgetleft
January 20th, 2007, 05:47 AM
The problem with the OBD-I data is it is kinda slow and limited. I can't think of the top of my head if the TPI supports an AFR PID.

FYI, the PID streams on OBD-I is fixed, it works very different to OBD-I.

Cheers,
Ross

I believe there are a few people who have hacked TPI ECMs, specifically 730/646 variants, to change the datastream. Being motorola 68k based, there are a lot of people who know how to program for them, or at least, there used to be, lol.

I can't recall what's in the stock datastream though.

jrh
February 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I believe there are a few people who have hacked TPI ECMs, specifically 730/646 variants, to change the datastream. Being motorola 68k based, there are a lot of people who know how to program for them, or at least, there used to be, lol.

I can't recall what's in the stock datastream though.

The OBD I stuff, especially the earlier MEMCAL/PROM based 1993 and earlier stuff, has the data stream pre-set in the calibration data. What variables are displayed varies from vehicle type to vehicle type and even calibration to calibration (as is usually the case with GM). For example, the 1994 TBI 5.7 Caprice software doesn't display ignition timing or knock retard. We have sometimes modified the calibration to output spark timing instead of some other variable but then you have to convert it yourself since the scan tool still thinks it is the original variable.

Jason
LPE

Jason

joecar
February 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Jason, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Blacky
February 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM
The problem with the OBD-I data is it is kinda slow and limited.

The 160 baud is slow and limited, (1-2 frames per second).

From a scan tool point of view, the OBDI 8192 baud protocol is much faster, simpler and easier to log than OBDII. Usually around 10-12 frames per second with up to 40-50 PIDS, which is twice as fast as VPW OBDII. OBDII was a step backwards when it came to data logging speeds, but mostly* steps forward when it came to playing nice with other controllers on the bus.

* I say mostly because we spend time (that we shouldn't have to) fighting aftermarket controllers (radio, navigators etc) that do not play nice on the bus.

Basically, ALDL allowed the scan tool to hog the bus and get better performance at the expense of other modules on the bus. VPW makes it harder to hog the bus which allows other modules to continue to operate normally.

Regards
Paul