PDA

View Full Version : VE Table - Interpolation SpreadSheet

Tordne
January 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM
First of all I'll start by saying that this is something that Chad (Black02SS) and I did some time ago. He keeps losing it so I'll take credit for putting it somewhere useful :D

You all will have likely seen your VE Table taking on an erratic look after applying a few AutoVE BEN cycles. The principle behind this tool is that is will balance/interpolate the BEN factors from the BEN Map ad average each cell based on the factors in the surrounding cells. This is what the PCM does internally.

The outcome is a VE table that is smoother in appearance, and with less violent transitions between cells in theory should be smoother as well.

I've tried to use some real data to give you an example. This is not as drastic as I've seen them - most of the logs I have the BEN data is good :)

Anyway, this is a VE Table with the BEN data applied directly from the Scan Tool Map:

This is the save VE Table with the data copied from the Scan Tool Map and into the Spreadsheet, then copied and applied with the interpolated results:

As you can see there is a bit of a difference...

I use this all the time, and I've tried it on a few people on this forum as well. I swear by it!

You'll develop your own techniques for using it, and I'm expecting some questions... Personally I will often take the copy and fill data, then eyeball it and hand change some out there values if they occur, or pump up areas i know need more. The end result is much smoother transitions though.

Enjoy, and I'm keen to hear feedback.

Last of all here is the sheet ;)

Interpolation Spreadsheet (http://www.holdencrazy.com/Tordne/Interpolation.xls)

Fixed Link (from post #31 below): Interpolation Spreadsheet (http://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12021&d=1317119273)

Cheers,

ScarabEpic22
January 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Looks like it works well, but is there a chance I could modify it to work with the multiple VE tables in the LL8 (Low RPM and High RPM)? Right now when I paste the data in it is all messed up as the rpm and tps points are completely different in the LL8 tunes.

Tordne
January 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Modify as you like. I haven't seen an LL8 table(s) so I don't know it's dimensions. The purpose of the post is more to show you a technique and a tool that I think works really well.

Because the labels in the spreadsheet are just that they don't really have to be the same as the rows in the actual tune file - if you know what I mean. The spreadsheet will perform the interpolation math on any number you paste into it.

ScarabEpic22
January 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
They are a lot different, and use lots of decimals (think 42.6 tps, etc). The RPM side is in different increments too, I guess on Monday I will have to play with the table a little to get it to fit the LL8 parameters.

jsttry
January 20th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Doesn't look that hard to update, if I get time I might add boost VE into that spreadsheet

Bruce Melton
January 20th, 2007, 03:16 AM
This looks very cool. Have not used it yet, but if it can save the hand smoothing it is spectacular!

Tordne
January 20th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Doesn't look that hard to update, if I get time I might add boost VE into that spreadsheet

Good point... I added the extra row/column to allow for the OS5 TPS VE, but not boost. I might add that and then just update the file on my server.

Tordne
January 20th, 2007, 06:31 AM
OK I's only been up for a few hours.. But based on your suggestion jsttry I've made a major update already :)

I've added Tabs to the sheet for the B0101 Main VE Table, A0007 TPS VE Table and A0009 Boost VE Table.

If there are any other suggestions please let me know. I'd ideally like to make amendments to this centrally so that it can be easily shared with everyone.

Cheers,

joecar
January 20th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Andrew, good job. :cheers:

Chevy366
January 20th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Looks good .
Can you do the same thing in O.O.org ?(Open Office Org)

Loudmouth LS1
January 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Quick ?, I was playin with this a little earlier, do you just copy ur entire ve table and paste it into the spreadsheet and then copy and paste the new numbers over ur ve table? Cuz i'm not done with my autove tuning yet and figured after i'm done i'd just do that.

Tordne
January 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Quick ?, I was playin with this a little earlier, do you just copy ur entire ve table and paste it into the spreadsheet and then copy and paste the new numbers over ur ve table? Cuz i'm not done with my autove tuning yet and figured after i'm done i'd just do that.

You take the values from the BEN Map in the Scan Tool. Then apply the interpolated factors as a multiplier (as you should normally) to the appropriate VE Table.

Tordne
January 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Looks good .
Can you do the same thing in O.O.org ?(Open Office Org)

I haven't tested it, but a lot of the functions are the same in OO. It may just work anyway...

Loudmouth LS1
January 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
You take the values from the BEN Map in the Scan Tool. Then apply the interpolated factors as a multiplier (as you should normally) to the appropriate VE Table.

So do you have to start back over with a stock ve table and redo it using this along the way, or will it smooth it out without doin that and just apply it on the next log? Also, between efilive and excel, will it still put everything in it's correct column when you copy and paste?

Tordne
January 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
You control where the copy and past is applied to with the mouse ;). Can't use paste with labels options :sad:.

The process works best when you start with a relatively smooth VE. Often times I'll take the stock VE table and apply a couple of 65 weighted smooths to it to start with. Then increase by a few % for safety, then start this process.

See how you go with the existing VE you have.

The thread and tool was really posted so you all could have a play and see what you think. We all have our own little ways of doing the same things :)

joecar
January 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
1. Get your BEN's and copy them all.
2. Paste those BEN's into the first array.
3. Copy the second array and paste-multiply into your VE table.

Beer99C5
January 20th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Got it, looking forward to using it weather permiting :) early Feb.

ScarabEpic22
January 25th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Question, it looks like you LS1 guys have only 1 Main VE table, but I have 2 main ones. Low RPM VE and High RPM VE (and Idle VE and Low RPM VE Double Fire).

How would I go about changing the spreadsheet to get this to work, or does it really matter what TPS and RPM values go in?

NAH
January 28th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Excellent job, thanks.

Tordne
January 28th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Question, it looks like you LS1 guys have only 1 Main VE table, but I have 2 main ones. Low RPM VE and High RPM VE (and Idle VE and Low RPM VE Double Fire).

How would I go about changing the spreadsheet to get this to work, or does it really matter what TPS and RPM values go in?

DOH! You are correct it doesn't really matter about the row/column labels, the spreadsheet just performs calculations on the surrounding cells.

ScarabEpic22
January 28th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Awesome, then I guess I will play around a little more tonight!!

Thanks for clarifying!

joecar
January 29th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Andrew,

We should probably have a sticky thread of spreadsheets collected together for handy access...

Joe
:cheers:

Tordne
January 29th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Yeah. I like the idea of that start page that TECH has that links off to other threads...

Bruce Melton
January 29th, 2007, 06:01 AM
It'd be nice place to put all the tutorials as well.

ScarabEpic22
January 29th, 2007, 05:18 PM
This is what I started with:
http://www.host71.com/scarabepic22/TrailBlazer/Tuning/low%20ve%20table%20original.jpg

Here is what my Low VE table looks like now after I smoothed it via the spreadsheet:
http://www.host71.com/scarabepic22/TrailBlazer/Tuning/low%20ve%20table%20smoothed.jpg

Not a huge difference, but enough that Im happier with it being a little smoother and flowing better between cells now.

Thanks guys!:D

ScarabEpic22
January 30th, 2007, 11:24 AM
After flashing the new tune to my truck today and driving around, I didnt notice very much this morning, but it was all stop and go. On the way home a few minutes ago, my I6 is runing smoother (better acceleration delivery) and even if thats all I get, it is worth it.

Tordne
January 30th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Great feedback everyone :cheers:

phantom
June 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Digging up an old thread here. I used to have this spread sheet on my old computer and just had to upgrade to a new one. The link above doesn't have the sheet. Would anyone have it that would be willing to email it to me? Thanks

danparker005@gmail.com

joecar
June 15th, 2011, 10:53 AM
You can pm Tordne/Andrew.

Highlander
September 26th, 2011, 03:25 PM
subscribing.

mr.prick
September 26th, 2011, 10:30 PM
:angel_innocent:

Tordne
September 27th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Thanks. It's been so long since I had a use for it, and having reloaded PC's (probably a couple of times since making it), I actually didn't have a copy of that anymore :)

jeff keyuk
August 22nd, 2013, 10:48 PM
link to spreedsheet seems to be tune off.

Taz
August 22nd, 2013, 11:40 PM
The link in post #31 is still active ...

jeff keyuk
August 23rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks !

jeff keyuk
September 20th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks! The spreedsheet real works well! Car running great! Just finishing up know on my Idel tuning ,Thats gone real well ! Thanks to everyone for all the help.

owen6
June 4th, 2014, 02:24 AM
looking so cool.great

joecar
June 4th, 2014, 12:28 PM
looking so cool.greatWhat exactly do you mean...?

Come forth and post your engine RPO code...

HellKnightHicks
August 8th, 2014, 02:28 AM
I posted this and a live tune and example..

http://forum.gmtruckcentral.com/showthread.php/1391-VE-Interpolations-Spreadsheet?p=23982#post23982

Works great... It was scary how close the VE table was after using this just one time.

joecar
August 8th, 2014, 07:15 AM
lol (scary close)... thanks for posting your experience :cheers:

VE-Table-Interpolation-SpreadSheet (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?4399-VE-Table-Interpolation-SpreadSheet)

DB Performance
April 24th, 2018, 01:46 AM
how do i use this spread sheet i understand that you copy and paste the ben's in do i start with copy and pasting the b0101 first and then paste over the top sorry if i missed somthing thanks in advanced

joecar
April 24th, 2018, 04:09 AM
You paste your BENs in the top table, then copy the bottom table and paste-multiply into your VE table.

DB Performance
April 24th, 2018, 04:15 AM
You paste your BENs in the top table, then copy the bottom table and paste-multiply into your VE table.

Thanks I figured it out right after I posted the question I was thinking way to hard it was almost to easy

joecar
April 24th, 2018, 04:24 AM
no worries, feel free to post questions/comments/tol (thinking out loud).

Aint Skeered
April 30th, 2018, 11:05 AM
When i did this , it made lots of spikes In my ve table. Suggestions?

joecar
April 30th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Ok, maybe then avoid the interpolation spreadsheet;

instead, paste-multiply the BEN into the VE table, and then manually adjust the surrounding un-hit cells to match/flow with the hit cells.

Aint Skeered
April 30th, 2018, 12:43 PM
I was just trying to figure out how to use this. Looks like a great idea

Highlander
April 30th, 2018, 12:52 PM
It works in certain situations. Do it as joecar says.