PDA

View Full Version : 2 bar -- tell me your experience

diynoob
January 20th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Well, I am a big fan of SD -- I can AutoVE my way to near perfect drivability with the MAF off, but when I reenable the MAF and try to calibrate it properly I end up with odd drivability problems I didn't have before.

I might eventually run past 15psi, but not very far past it -- maybe 16 or 17. Does that mean I have to get a 3bar or can I fudge it with 2bar and PE?

What are the downsides to 2bar? And how are you guys hitting all the RPM/MAP cells for boost that you need to? Are you able to do this on the street or do you pretty much need a load dyno to do it safely?

:cheers:

onfire
January 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I went to 2 bar initially because of misinformation about 3 bar. 2bar tuned in nicely with some help from Chad (GreenLight) to get me started. Never put the maf back on. Baby tuned it on the street to 10psi with perfect AF on a wideband. Drove better than my maf tune around town.

Then took the 2bar out and installed a 3bar. Retuned and it's now as nice as the 2bar. If you're stopping at 16psi I would do a 2bar since it plugs in. Plus you have better "resolution" even though I can't tell the difference driving between the two after tuning.

I started with a PE tune that worked for 17psi and 9.9 at 141mph timeslips. This is much nicer with more control.

I changed to 3bar since I'm going to 20psi.

Good luck.

BTW 15psi tuning on the street is crazy....go to a track rental or dyno since things happen in a hurry at those power levels (for wot).

diynoob
January 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Good info, thanks :cheers:

SS2win
January 20th, 2007, 11:46 AM
BTW 15psi tuning on the street is crazy....go to a track rental or dyno since things happen in a hurry at those power levels (for wot).

LOL I thought tuning for 8lbs was bad. can't imagine 15 (yet) :D

slowhawk
February 12th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Tuning auto VE is pretty easy.For hitting the cells it takes time on the street.Start the VE tables rich and back timing off alittle.Then slowly work your way up the boost levels while transfering the tables over.We did this in my Buddie's 800hp car.It sucked because the cold weather dictated 5th gear pulls so the tires wouldn't spin.Has some nice open highways to do 70-160mph pulls.
When it was done the car pulled 840rwhp on pump gas--1st pull.Been driving it over a year now with no problems.