PDA

View Full Version : 5 Position Switchable Tune .. Will this ever be available for LBZ???

serpa4
January 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
If so, I'll jump on the EFI bandwagon.

Duramax DSP5 - 5 Position Switchable Tune
24th October, 2006

EFILive is proud to announce that a 5 position switchable tune on the fly has moved into testing, with public release scheduled for late in 2006. With EFILive being the first to offer all Duramax DIY and professional tuners the ability to create their own switchable tune, we've stepped up to our customers requests and created DSP5, suitable for both LB7 and LLY.

So how does it work and what are the features?

Simply wire in the switch, create your new tunes to switch between in our EFILive software, flash your new file into your ECM using FlashScan and away you go. You'll have Stock, then tunes 1-4.

But you know we wouldn't stop at just a simple 5 position tune, we've also added another feature called DSP Staging. DSP Stanging allows you to define some thresholds by which the ECM will limit fuelling. As an example, you can set it up so at 1800RPM you start to limit fuel to get consistent drag racing launches, set the DSP Launch control to bypass the limit above 50% throttle so as soon as you mash the pedal full fuelling will occur for the run down the strip.

Also included with DSP5 is a controllable output and valet mode - all in all what more could a Duramax owner want?

GMPX
January 21st, 2007, 08:59 PM
It will be looked at seriously at a later stage, but there is nothing just around the corner or in testing.

Cheers,
Ross

serpa4
January 22nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
It will be looked at seriously at a later stage, but there is nothing just around the corner or in testing.

Cheers,
Ross

So, if I get EFI live and it comes out later, what would be needed to purchase? I.e. hopefully not a new EFI live setup, maybe just a switch and software? I.e. I won't have to spend another $800 to get this feature IF it comes out?

Tordne
January 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM
Software updates and Custom OS's are provided free for our customers. So if you bought now if would be available to you an no additional cost :)

thetallengineer
May 9th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Any updates on the progress of DSP for the LBZ?

serpa4
May 9th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Not on the next release. Not sure its in the works at all. Next is supposed to be stand a lone tuning and transmission support.

GMPX
May 10th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Well, LBZ / LMM TCM support is in the next release.
DSP for LBZ has not been looked at further since my last post I'm sorry to say.

Cheers,
Ross

floriduramax1
May 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Well, LBZ / LMM TCM support is in the next release.
DSP for LBZ has not been looked at further since my last post I'm sorry to say.

Cheers,
Ross
Just out of curiosity, how does Bully Dog allow you to switch tunes from their Outlook Monitor. That is the only feature I truly miss. I could care less about stand a lone tuning!

LBZ
May 15th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I agree! Stand alone tuning would be awesome for the racer but for the daily drivers (which are most of the people I know) a DSP option is what they want. I know alot of people that tuned with EFI in their LB7 and LLY models that are staying away from EFI in their LBZ and LLM'S until this happens.

GMPX
May 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I agree! Stand alone tuning would be awesome for the racer but for the daily drivers (which are most of the people I know) a DSP option is what they want. I know alot of people that tuned with EFI in their LB7 and LLY models that are staying away from EFI in their LBZ and LLM'S until this happens.

I don't really know what to say to that other than the work involved in creating switchable tunes is rather large. EFILive is also trying to cater for two markets, Diesel and Gas, we know that the Diesel guys could not really care about a new timing table added to an LS7 tune nor could the gas guys care about a new Diesel boost table. I can tell you this based on the sort of Emails we get about the status of things like LBZ DSP O.S's and on the reverse about certains gas motors.

I am still of the opinion that getting EFILive for an LBZ is still probably your best option if you want to do some serious tuning, if your main concern is to be able to switch power levels on the fly then perhaps right now EFILive is not the best option.

Cheers,
Ross

floriduramax1
May 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I don't really know what to say to that other than the work involved in creating switchable tunes is rather large. EFILive is also trying to cater for two markets, Diesel and Gas, we know that the Diesel guys could not really care about a new timing table added to an LS7 tune nor could the gas guys care about a new Diesel boost table. I can tell you this based on the sort of Emails we get about the status of things like LBZ DSP O.S's and on the reverse about certains gas motors.

I am still of the opinion that getting EFILive for an LBZ is still probably your best option if you want to do some serious tuning, if your main concern is to be able to switch power levels on the fly then perhaps right now EFILive is not the best option.

Cheers,
Ross
I wish I would have had it explained to me like that before I purchased EFI Live. I dont regret the purchase, but perhaps I would have kept my Triple dog and waited until you offered switchable tunes before I took the loss in selling my Triple dog. Please dont take this personal, as I would hate to have your job and I apreciate all updates you are working on. If, in the future you need any testing done with switchable tunes let me know! I would like nothing more than to help out in the developement of this:notacrook:

LBZ
May 15th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Even a 3 pos DSP would make my day!!

floriduramax1
May 16th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Even a 3 pos DSP would make my day!!
I would be tickled with 2 tunes:master:

serpa4
May 16th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Yep, starting with two would be nice. I need a tow friendly and my high HP play tune.

LBZ
May 16th, 2007, 01:34 AM
I never did get the DSP-5 put in my LLY but the two tune was nice.

JoshH
May 16th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I guess I just don't see how loading a new tune is so difficult that I would have to have DSP. Don't get me wrong, It would be a nice feature, but I leave mine turned up most of the time anyway. The only time it isn't is if I'm towing, and it just takes a few minutes to reflash. Stand alone programing and scanning would make it much easier since I wouldn't have to have the laptop with me or wait on it to boot up to flash. I could just plug in my EFI cable and be ready to go.

floriduramax1
May 16th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I guess I just don't see how loading a new tune is so difficult that I would have to have DSP. Don't get me wrong, It would be a nice feature, but I leave mine turned up most of the time anyway. The only time it isn't is if I'm towing, and it just takes a few minutes to reflash. Stand alone programing and scanning would make it much easier since I wouldn't have to have the laptop with me or wait on it to boot up to flash. I could just plug in my EFI cable and be ready to go.

Have you ever tried on the fly switching? I work for a company that builds and sales luxury buses and trailers, I tow all the time and do a lot of city driving empty. Just turning the dial sure is nice when you got a tow tune in and pull to the light beside a ricer, or even better, a power joke and dont have to reprogram.:rockon:

JoshH
May 16th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I ran the Edge for about 6 months before I got EFI. I don't miss it one bit.

floriduramax1
May 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I ran the Edge for about 6 months before I got EFI. I don't miss it one bit.
Nevermind.:cheers:

LBZ
May 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I would rather build 5 solid tunes from mild to a really randy race tune, load them all and be done with it. Then work on the tunes I have one at a time improving as I go. Convenience for myself and for customers who have to pay everytime a reflash is needed is what I am talking about.

Cobra#3747
May 17th, 2007, 03:32 AM
I am just glad EFIlive came out with software for the LBZ, orginally it was never going to happen. At this point if they come out with DSPx, Awsome, I do like the DSP5, but would never think of going to anything else just because of not having it.

GMPX
May 17th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks Cobra#3747,

One of the major issues with the LBZ ECM is the PowerPC CPU it uses, the way PowerPC code works it is very hard to alter things unless you can completely recompile the code (which only Bosch could do). The LB7/LLY ECM is a dream to work with in this aspect.
With the LBZ it also has two areas of memory, external flash and flash memory within the CPU, to do a custom O.S we would need to reflash both the external flash and internal flash, currently we can only get access to this via the CPU's debug port (which involves removing the back cover), so that is obviously not an option for our customers.

Again, I won't say it's never going to happen but there is a lot of work involved to make it happen and as always we have a very full R&D plate already.

Cheers,
Ross

floriduramax1
May 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks Cobra#3747,

One of the major issues with the LBZ ECM is the PowerPC CPU it uses, the way PowerPC code works it is very hard to alter things unless you can completely recompile the code (which only Bosch could do). The LB7/LLY ECM is a dream to work with in this aspect.
With the LBZ it also has two areas of memory, external flash and flash memory within the CPU, to do a custom O.S we would need to reflash both the external flash and internal flash, currently we can only get access to this via the CPU's debug port (which involves removing the back cover), so that is obviously not an option for our customers.

Again, I won't say it's never going to happen but there is a lot of work involved to make it happen and as always we have a very full R&D plate already.

Cheers,
Ross
I have no problem removing the cover!! Whatever it takes.:muahaha:

LBZ
May 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I got a hacksaw in hand just tell me where to cut!!

Seriously though, I appreciate all the hard work everyone at EFI does to get their customers what they need for tuning upgrades and support. I trust you guys will figure it out. You always do!!!

brianteel
November 5th, 2007, 05:05 AM
bring back to top.....

anything else been done with this.

serpa4
November 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I'd like an update also. Thanks.

Cobra#3747
November 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Last I read, they have not even started looking into adding the switch on a serious level yet. Other updates are higher ranked right now, such as the defuel issue, rpm limit ect...

serpa4
November 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Defuel, aaa yes, needs to be fixed. So does stand alone tuning wiht the black box without my PC. That would be convienent.

LBZ
January 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Any word yet if we will ever get DSP for the LBZ??

floriduramax1
January 6th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Bump.

GMPX
January 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM
2 positions is more than likely possible, 5 might be pushing it.
I don't think it will be a toggle switch, it will need to be activated by the V2 unit.
We currently have LB7 & LLY custom OS's that have been converted to switch from the V2 unit so no switch is needed, now we have that concept done on those ECM's it's a matter of porting that over to the LBZ / LMM which as the old saying goes, easier said than done :)

Cheers,
Ross

LBZ
January 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Works for me!! Can't wait.

As another old saying goes - Gitter Done!!

floriduramax1
January 7th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I knew you wouldn't give up on us:rockon:

Cobra#3747
January 7th, 2008, 02:40 AM
5 position pushing it? What kind of attitude is that? From someone that said LBZ would never be suported, I expect no less than being able to load 10 tunes on the fly :D

thanks for the update though

Wasted Income
January 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
We currently have LB7 & LLY custom OS's that have been converted to switch from the V2 unit so no switch is needed,

:eek: AWE_SOME!!

jchev502
January 7th, 2008, 03:59 PM
If and when I get comfy with my EFI a 2 position will be great if not A 5er, just let me say thanks for the software an hard work you all do at EFI.

Wasted Income
January 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Now how about when you switch your tunes with the V2, it automatically sets the Allison TAPS to what you choose with that specific tune??

Just throwing ideas out there :)

GMPX
January 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
5 position pushing it? What kind of attitude is that? From someone that said LBZ would never be suported, I expect no less than being able to load 10 tunes on the fly :D

thanks for the update though

Simple, only believe what I say for about 6 months, then I will cave in eventually.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
January 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Now how about when you switch your tunes with the V2, it automatically sets the Allison TAPS to what you choose with that specific tune??

Just throwing ideas out there :)

Keep throwing, some may go through to the catcher though.

Cheers,
Ross

Cobra#3747
January 10th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Simple, only believe what I say for about 6 months, then I will cave in eventually.

Cheers,
Ross

Now thats the EFIlive attitude I was looking for :D

twister773
February 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
update...has it started to be looked at?

twister773
February 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM

GMPX
February 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
It's complex and it's not even in beta yet.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
February 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Cheers,
Ross

Might be careful there Ross, the Alloytec V6 guys might hold you to that one... haha:muahaha: :bash:

Anywho, I would love to see a DSPx for the LBZ/LMMs. I want to get a Tahoe in 09 when the 4.5L D-max is stuffed into them, definitely would want the DSPx then (so you have a year or two).

GMPX
February 13th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Oh no Erik, don't start on DSP for an engine that hasn't even been released yet :Eyecrazy: , who knows what Bosch might do on that ECM!

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
February 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Oh no Erik, don't start on DSP for an engine that hasn't even been released yet :Eyecrazy: , who knows what Bosch might do on that ECM!

Cheers,
Ross

I know, but its a thing of the times so you have a couple years...:muahaha: As for the ECM, why is Bosch making them so hard for you to crack? Man its getting annoying.:D

LBZ
February 18th, 2008, 12:48 AM
..... As for the ECM, why is Bosch making them so hard for you to crack? Man its getting annoying.:D

X2 Very Annoying!!

IdahoRob
February 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Here is a little push....Bully dog and edge do it and have for a year. Not a DSP, but switchable on the fly.

Sorry guys....flame suit on, the big problem is lost sales.

I still love you guys.

Eddysel
February 29th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks EFI Live crew for a great product. Switchable tuning would be icing on the cake. That being said, I know nothing about tuners or how to make them. My question is about Banks and such with their box that gets mounted under the hood. Is that thought process a possibility? A module that gets mounted/connected in a similar way that we can program using EFI Live? Thanks, Ed

twister773
March 17th, 2008, 05:27 PM
any updates:)

GMPX
March 18th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Rob, I tip my hat to BullyDog for the switching tune for the LBZ.
The only update I have is that we have spent the last week putting the foundations in the software for full flashing of the ECM which is required to install a switching tune. It didn't go smoothly and we are still trying to iron out some ripples in the process.
We have decided to release a new range of DSP enhancements for LB7 / LLY first, we've been sitting on them for a while, they should be out pretty fast, then it's back to the LBZ.

Cheers,
Ross

Cougar281
March 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Rob, I tip my hat to BullyDog for the switching tune for the LBZ.
The only update I have is that we have spent the last week putting the foundations in the software for full flashing of the ECM which is required to install a switching tune. It didn't go smoothly and we are still trying to iron out some ripples in the process.
We have decided to release a new range of DSP enhancements for LB7 / LLY first, we've been sitting on them for a while, they should be out pretty fast, then it's back to the LBZ.

Cheers,
Ross

Ross, Off the topic of DSPx for the LBZ/LMM, but POSSIBLY related to full flashing the ECM, think it will be possible to lock the ECMs like many of the other ECM/TCM/PCMs?

GMPX
March 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Problem is all the data for locking is not stored in the Flash memory on the Bosch ECM's, it's in a little serial EEPROM which you can't get access to.
I will certainly investigate how we can access this chip because that is where the flash history is also stored!!

Cheers,
Ross

MMLMM
March 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Problem is all the data for locking is not stored in the Flash memory on the Bosch ECM's, it's in a little serial EEPROM which you can't get access to.
I will certainly investigate how we can access this chip because that is where the flash history is also stored!!

Cheers,
Ross

now were talking, maybe we get 2 things cracked with one stone....

Cobra#3747
March 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
now were talking, maybe we get 2 things cracked with one stone....

The right size stone will gain you access to many various parts inside the ECM :D

MadMaxx61
March 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
Update from DieselPlace.com

The infrastructure has now been created for the development of LBZ/LMM switchable tuning. The next phase of development is going to take a number of weeks, and timing will be dependant on the progress of other items on the development plate. Then it should be ready for Beta.

Cheers
Cindy

ColbyColorado04
April 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Sweet. I have been wanting a DSPx option since before I got EFI. Just picked up EFI two days ago and I already want it. Bring it on. Pa Pa Pa PLeeeeaaasseeee!

LBZ
April 14th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Sweet. I have been wanting a DSPx option since before I got EFI. Just picked up EFI two days ago and I already want it. Bring it on. Pa Pa Pa PLeeeeaaasseeee!

If you drive an LBZ or LMM don't hold your breath. It was never ever promised to happen. I hope it does, but from what I hear, there is alot of work required to crack into it.

I know it will make the pile of money I spent on EFI worth it if it ever does-I will continue to wait patiently.:fluffy:

ColbyColorado04
April 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Im not gonna hold my breath, it would be nice but I didnt buy EFI thinking that a DSP would be out soon. I bought it because I wanted "real" power and was tired of the handhelds. Im wanting to learn more and more and EFI will allow me to do this.

8100 Power
May 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Anyway to switch tunes on efi right now without pulling your computer out everytime?

JoshH
May 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Anyway to switch tunes on efi right now without pulling your computer out everytime?If by "computer" you mean ECM, then yes, but if by "computer" you mean laptop, then no...

8100 Power
May 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM
If by "computer" you mean ECM, then yes, but if by "computer" you mean laptop, then no...

Thanks..

Brian1
May 31st, 2008, 01:44 AM
Very new to efilive v2 but here is a question. This may exist or not or a possible idea. Can one put there tunes on the sdcard and then just use the efilive v2 to upload them without use of a laptop?

Brian

Cougar281
May 31st, 2008, 02:26 AM
Very new to efilive v2 but here is a question. This may exist or not or a possible idea. Can one put there tunes on the sdcard and then just use the efilive v2 to upload them without use of a laptop?

Brian

Not yet, but it's coming.

POWER Freak
June 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
What exactly is the SD card slot for?

Blacky
June 24th, 2008, 11:10 AM
What exactly is the SD card slot for?

Right now its for data logging with no laptop required. You can also save DTCs and test results to the SD card for downloading later to a PC.

We are currently working on reading/flashing controllers directly from FlashScan. Then you can store your *.tun files on the SD card and flash one in whenever you want, wherever you are with out needing a laptop.

Regards
Paul

Sparky8370
June 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks Cobra#3747,

Cheers,
RossI'm willing to bet there are a ton of vendors that would be willing to install the custom OS's required on a bench with an exchange program. Just make the software available to well qualified (experienced) vendors, like duramaxtuner. And for those that wanted to be able to keep their OS because they couldn't just reflash, could just buy a spare. One for the stock type OS and one for the custom OS that makes the DSPx available. I don't give a shit because I don't have a LBZ or LMM. But there is def a huge market for it and greater opportunity for your vendors to make more money, and customers to spend it.

Sparky8370
June 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I forgot, I've got a Benji on it....

GMPX
June 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm willing to bet there are a ton of vendors that would be willing to install the custom OS's required on a bench with an exchange program.

Maybe, until they know what is involved to get access to the debug pins in the ECM. It's not as simple as it sounds and 9/10 times destroys the back cover due to the level of force/prying to get to the PCB.

Cheers,
Ross

gixxergreg
June 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
We need to recruit a pissed off employee from Bosch :exactly:

LBZ
June 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM

:rockon:

GMPX
June 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM

I don't think they exist, they are all sitting there laughing at the aftermarket world trying to deal with their ECM's.

Bosch code is very hard to follow, you (I) can spend 1/2hr on the path of what appears to be something to do with flash history logging etc only to find it is not, it just takes time (lots of it!)
What I can say is that once we get our LBZ/LMM full flash implemented that we will be able to offer ECM locking, that part we have figured out. However, the time frame for that might be at least a month or two. Maybe by then we'll have the history reporting conquered too.

Cheers,
Ross

duramaximizer
June 27th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Well I would give you some hours out of my day to put into yours, but I don't have enough hours in my day either. LOL

LBZ
June 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I have lots of free time I can donate!

DmaxHawk
July 16th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Any updates?

RALPHAZE
July 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
:confused:

GMPX
July 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
When GM stop releasing new operating systems every week we might get a chance to finish it :Eyecrazy:.
No real firm news yet, we have been working on other LBZ/LMM too at the same time.

Cheers,
Ross

POWER Freak
August 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
any news?

GMPX
August 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Actually no sorry, over 25 new Operating Systems for the 2008 / 2009 controllers we support to get through (still!).

Before switchable tunes are release we will be releasing some other 'fixes' for the LBZ / LMM.

Cheers,
Ross

DmaxHawk
August 17th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Actually no sorry, over 25 new Operating Systems for the 2008 / 2009 controllers we support to get through (still!).

Before switchable tunes are release we will be releasing some other 'fixes' for the LBZ / LMM.

Cheers,
Ross

What type of 'fixes'?

GMPX
August 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM
At this stage the new things will only get the workshops excited. ECM locking being one of them and something that will give the ECM amnesia.

Cheers,
Ross

Cougar281
August 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
At this stage the new things will only get the workshops excited. ECM locking being one of them and something that will give the ECM amnesia.

Cheers,
Ross

I'd assume you figured out the other half of it's memory?

LBZ
August 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Cheers,
Ross

:rockon:

duramaximizer
August 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM
hopefully the amnesia will be cureable though. hahaha I have had ecm's that have had perminant amnesia. :eek:

Donovan
October 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Is the switchable tune somewhere close on the horizon? I am looking forward to being able to destroy the tires again without any laptop 'intervention'. :)

gixxergreg
October 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I check in every now and then just to see if this thread becomes active :secret: :hihi:

CntrlCalDmax
October 26th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I check in every now and then just to see if this thread becomes active :secret: :hihi:

X2, patiently waiting!

8100 Power
October 26th, 2008, 09:39 AM
X2, patiently waiting!

X3...:grin:

Or switching. I'll be happy. :cheers:

jtaylor111
October 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM
X4......

GMPX
October 28th, 2008, 08:59 AM
X5.....:angel_innocent:

Sorry to say but there has been no further progress on the LBZ/LMM switching tunes. Good news is though for the most part we are caught up with the 2009 models (Like 15 or so new OS's over all controllers!)
I expect that before Christmas we will be releasing a software update to allow full reflashing for the LBZ/LMM, this will give locking functions for the workshops and we are still on the fence with the amnesia function, but it works.
Though I fully expect GM will release another OS update for the 2009 Duramax which might set us back a little more again, but so far all 2009's appear to be using the OS 12628594 which is already supported :).
Thanks to everyone for their patience.

Cheers,
Ross

jtaylor111
October 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
That make it a Good Christmas.

DmaxHawk
October 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Santa must bring software!

Duramax 6.6L
October 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
It will be a great Christmas if we get to full flash the LBZ computer.

usafracer
November 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I just came across this thread and wondering if there is an update?

Thanks
Martin

JD4440
November 30th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Me 2

GMPX
November 30th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Switching tunes won't happen on the LBZ / LMM before Christmas, however, we have a week of R&D set aside for the LBZ / LMM full reflash, locking and maybe other things starting Thursday, so there should be an update of some sort before Christmas.

Cheers,
Ross

DmaxHawk
November 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Switching tunes won't happen on the LBZ / LMM before Christmas, however, we have a week of R&D set aside for the LBZ / LMM full reflash, locking and maybe other things starting Thursday, so there should be an update of some sort before Christmas.

Cheers,
Ross

:thankyou2: Ross! Looking forward to hearing for you guys again, hopefully with a Beta:grin:

JD4440
November 30th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Thank you Ross.

DmaxHawk
November 30th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Well since we wont have actual switching for a while...I'd figure we would all pretend we do. So I ask you all this question...

"What would you do with on-the-fly switchable tuning capabilities?"

GMPX
November 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
That is an interesting question.
Some tuners will tell you that a switchable tune is not really needed, you can have a monster tune with good street manners if enough R&D is spent on it. But, sometimes I suppose there is certain situations where you do want specific tuning for a task that doesn't cut it for day to day use.

Cheers,
Ross

DmaxHawk
November 30th, 2008, 12:22 PM
That is an interesting question.
Some tuners will tell you that a switchable tune is not really needed, you can have a monster tune with good street manners if enough R&D is spent on it. But, sometimes I suppose there is certain situations where you do want specific tuning for a task that doesn't cut it for day to day use.

Cheers,
Ross

I for example would love to have switchable tuning. Sometimes I like to drive in stock or a mileage tune that cuts back on boost. I would love to be able to switch between tunes whenever a Honda pulls up next to me:angel_innocent:

GMPX
November 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM
A Honda! pick on someone your own size :laugh:
But that is one of the scenarios people want to be able to switch tunes.

Cheers,
Ross

DmaxHawk
November 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
A Honda! pick on someone your own size :laugh:
But that is one of the scenarios people want to be able to switch tunes.

Cheers,
Ross

:hihi: Fine how bout a Tundra?

JD4440
November 30th, 2008, 02:34 PM
A smoke-less tune and a smoke-full tune.= mileage and a 1/4 mile tune.

DmaxHawk
November 30th, 2008, 02:39 PM
A smoke-less tune and a smoke-full tune.= mileage and a 1/4 mile tune.

You would think so but not necessarily.. I can get better mileage with a PPE lvl 6 tune (350hp rated) than with the stock tune. Timing and boost tables are the same only thing different is the fuel. Wider pulsewidth and higher commanded mm3s:shock: More fuel with more mileage???

RayMich
November 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I can think of at least a couple possible scenario for having switchable tunes.

How about for valet parking or anti-theft? Hide the switch where it's not easily found and then program a tune with very little power and speeds no higher that 10 - 15 MPH. That should make for a very slow getaway if someone wants to go for a joyride or steals the truck.

Another one would be if you need to let someone else drive your truck, you could restrict speed to no higher than 65 MPH or something like that. :grin:

Of course, having that killer tune handy for the times when the punk in the hot Mustang decides to show off to his girlfriend would be real nice too. :hihi:

DmaxHawk
November 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I can think of at least a couple possible scenario for having switchable tunes.

How about for valet parking or anti-theft? Hide the switch where it's not easily found and then program a tune with very little power and speeds no higher that 10 - 15 MPH. That should make for a very slow getaway if someone wants to go for a joyride or steals the truck.

Another one would be if you need to let someone else drive your truck, you could restrict speed to no higher than 65 MPH or something like that. :grin:

Of course, having that killer tune handy for the times when the punk in the hot Mustang decides to show off to his girlfriend would be real nice too. :hihi:

Very good point, I havent thought of a valet tune. I like that

DmaxHawk
November 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Cheers,
Ross

Ross, I'm sure this is a very broad question but how do guys figure this stuff out? It amazes me how you guys came up with the DSP5 switch, how did you find which pins did what and how to incorporate the software? It baffles me to how smart you guys are.

JD4440
December 6th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Of course, having that killer tune handy for the times when the punk in the Mustang decides to show off to his HOT girlfriend would be real nice too. :hihi:

Fixed it for ya'

RayMich
December 6th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Of course, having that killer tune handy for the times when the punk in the Mustang decides to show off to his HOT girlfriend would be real nice too. :hihi:

Fixed it for ya'
Yeap ! :thumb_yello:

gixxergreg
December 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Definetly a valet tune and a non-starting tune to make sure the truck isn't stolen.

Looking forward to the day any kind of switching becomes available

GMPX
December 22nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
This is what I am working on right now, Bosch code is very difficult to work with so it will take a little longer to develop than the LB7 / LLY ECM's.

Cheers,
Ross

8100 Power
December 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
This is what I am working on right now, Bosch code is very difficult to work with so it will take a little longer to develop than the LB7 / LLY ECM's.

Cheers,
Ross

Thank you sir!

Sparky8370
December 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
How hard could it be?:hihi:

GMPX
December 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Funny you should ask!, it's almost like they decided to write it in a way that would make life harder for those trying to figure out what was going on. I'm sure that isn't really the situation, but you can literally spend 4 or 5 hours tracing through the code trying to find a routine as simple as responding to a VIN request only to find it wasn't that after all :doh2:

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
December 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Maybe the programmer is a passed winner of an Obfuscated code (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscated_code) writing competition :shock:

8100 Power
December 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Maybe the programmer is a passed winner of an Obfuscated code (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscated_code) writing competition :shock:

Can't wait to to sort though stuff like that when the time comes.:angel_innocent:

I'm currently working with C++ right now..

joecar
December 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM
lol... impenetrable self-protecting source code... makes me cry laugh marvel all at the same time... :bawl::grin::rockon:

Sparky8370
December 31st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Funny you should ask!, it's almost like they decided to write it in a way that would make life harder for those trying to figure out what was going on. I'm sure that isn't really the situation, but you can literally spend 4 or 5 hours tracing through the code trying to find a routine as simple as responding to a VIN request only to find it wasn't that after all :doh2:

Cheers,
Ross
In layman's terms, you are saying they make you chase decoys, right?
Come on, we all ready took care of those germans once. Like I said, how hard can it be?:pokey::crash::throw:

RALPHAZE
February 25th, 2009, 04:22 AM
any more news?

tonydduramax
February 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM
maybe it's written in lattin I would love to have efi live the switch would make me shell out the dollar for it.

GMPX
February 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
In layman's terms, you are saying they make you chase decoys, right?
Come on, we all ready took care of those germans once. Like I said, how hard can it be?:pokey::crash::throw:Easy does it! We have some great German customers, there's plenty of neat things that have come out of Germany too, the EDC16 ECM is one of them, the Trabant is not.

It's hard to explain the difficulties to someone who has never tried to reverse engineer code, it's just the way the Bosch code is compiled makes it very tough to trace through and figure out certain routines. The communications routines are very obscure, this is where the main problem is.

Cheers,
Ross

DmaxHawk
May 2nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
So I was going down the road when this LMM pulls up next to me with a couple of Banks stickers on the side. I remember that I have my stock tune on just because I like driving with it. So the light turns green and we go moderately, sort of sizing each other up. Then we get to the next light and I pull behind him. The light turns green and the punches it black smoke goes everywhere and I try keeping up but he pulls away...All the time wishing I had a DSP...
I tell you that story to ask you this question, and since no one has posted in this thread since Feb...any progress?:angel_innocent:

ColbyColorado04
May 2nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
negative.......................................... ...................

jtaylor111
May 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
A Banks blowing black smoke....:confused:...I thought Banks wouldnt blow smoke?????? Thats the reason Im glad I got my tranny built cause I run a big tune all the time except for towing.:grin:

ColbyColorado04
May 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Just let your right foot be the switch.....

LBZ
May 2nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Just let your right foot be the switch.....

Unfortuneately, my right foot is and on/off switch and it usually gets stuck in the on position!:)

ColbyColorado04
May 3rd, 2009, 01:26 AM
x2 on the stuck position...........I try to run a smaller tune...But even that is a 425RWHP

DmaxHawk
May 3rd, 2009, 01:55 AM
A Banks blowing black smoke....:confused:...I thought Banks wouldnt blow smoke?????? Thats the reason Im glad I got my tranny built cause I run a big tune all the time except for towing.:grin:

Thats what I thought, there was a lot of smoke...:confused:

I think thats what I'm going to have to do again. :rockon:

GMPX
May 3rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
Sorry, no positive things to say about it. Yes it's been months on, but I just haven't had the spare time to make this happen.

Remember, this went from a no way, we aren't doing DSP on the Bosch to yes we will look at it, to now it's being worked on.

We are always working on new and exciting things (some of which are :secret:) as well as trying to keep up with GM's updates for all the vehicles we support. On GM's E38 & E67 ECM's (which are very popular) there is over 70 operating systems we support on them, that is over a 3 year vehicle period.

I'm not trying to make feeble excuses as to why the Bosch DSP hasn't happened yet, I'm just saying that the EDC controller is a nightmare to deal with / modify, it's very hard trying to set aside the time to concerntrate on it for weeks on end with no other interruptions to make it happen.
In comparision, I recently wrote a one off custom OS for the LS1 PCM for LPG, this took half a day!

Cheers,
Ross

DmaxHawk
May 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks Ross, we appreciate you guys working so hard on this for us.

jtaylor111
May 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
thanks ross, we appreciate you guys working so hard on this for us.

x2.

justin123
May 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
i appreciate it also i sure would love a dsp. :rockon:

gixxergreg
May 4th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I keep an email alert to let me know when someone replies to this thread... Will continue to watch and thanks Ross for being so honest about it.

dragoonranch
September 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325872&highlight=DSP5+lbz

just thought I would bump this thread with some good news

GMPX
September 24th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I just posted for our Beta testers DSP2 & DSP5 files for all LBZ OS's, so it's getting very close to public release.

DmaxHawk
September 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I just posted for our Beta testers DSP2 & DSP5 files for all LBZ OS's, so it's getting very close to public release.

Great new Ross!

Where did you post this exactly?

Thanks

GMPX
September 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hidden away in Beta access only threads, sorry not public yet.

DmaxHawk
September 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM
How do I get in? I am a beta tester for the lbz dsp

GMPX
September 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
How do I get in? I am a beta tester for the lbz dspWeird, try now, you should see the new groups.

DmaxHawk
September 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Weird, try now, you should see the new groups.

Perfect! Thanks Ross!

Sparky8370
September 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Ross, I've never been a beta tester but I was looking for that the other day. I thought I remembered it being up near the top somewhere. Was it ever open to all members, or was it somehow available to me when it shouldn't have been possibly?

zackbennett
October 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM
this gonna be ready for LMM's within the year?

GMPX
October 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Yes, hopefully before we head off to SEMA at the end of this month.