PDA

View Full Version : Vortec camshaft retard offset

Dave_62
January 22nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hi gang,

My buddy has messed with the distributor positon on his '99 Vortec, and the service manual says to connect the Tech 2 and look at the camshaft retard offset and adjust if necessary. Is there a PID in the new release for V2 to check this? I've looked and my old eyes can't see one that seems to fit the bill. Thanks for any help you can give.

wait4me
January 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM
not sure, Ill look into that one?

Dave_62
March 28th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Sorry to dredge this up, but could anyone provide a definitive answer?

:help2:

Aloicious
December 15th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Sorry to dredge this up, but could anyone provide a definitive answer?

:help2:

anyone? I've got V1 and am wondering about this on my '96 w/ a 411 pcm. I've heard that V1 might not be able to, but V2 would be able to. any definative answer for V1?

hquick
December 16th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I was wondering the same thing the other day.
That'd be really handy.

Aloicious
December 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM
I was wondering the same thing the other day.
That'd be really handy.

G'day hquick, good to see some familiar folks from over on the PPE forums here.

yeah you're telling me. and if CMP retard offset is not in V1 currently, is there any possibility of getting it in an update or something?

I'll be doing a intake swap, distributor upgrade, cam swap, along with a couple other things all at the same time, and won't have a tech 2 around or within like 50 miles...I know people on PPE have said to just mark everything and it won't be an issue, but I'd rather be safe incase its off, and also be able to double check it as well.

Aloicious
December 20th, 2007, 11:30 PM
don't everybody answer all at once now....seriously though, bump!:master:

Blacky
December 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
It should be in the latest V7.5 release here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6646

If you have already installed that version but still can't see the PID, let me know and I'll send you a more up to date PID set.

The PID is called: {GM.CMPRET} and is specific to Vortec. Anoth Vortec specific PID that was recently added is {GM.KNKRET_B}

Regards
Paul

hquick
December 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
I haven't looked yet Paul....but will it work after doing a 411 swap or will it only work with the Vortec/Black box PCM?

I just checked and mine has an 'X' through it.
Is it possible to have the Vortec specific pid's working with the 0411 PCM for those of us who have made the swap?

Thanks Paul.

Howard

Aloicious
December 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
It should be in the latest V7.5 release here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6646

If you have already installed that version but still can't see the PID, let me know and I'll send you a more up to date PID set.

The PID is called: {GM.CMPRET} and is specific to Vortec. Anoth Vortec specific PID that was recently added is {GM.KNKRET_B}

Regards
Paul

I'm in the middle of swapping to the 411 pcm so I haven't checked yet, but will do so, I have upgraded my V1 to V7.5 so I think we'll be good as long as its also available thru the 411 pcm (with a 01-02 L31 express van file base)

Thanks for the help Paul!

Blacky
December 22nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
I just checked and mine has an 'X' through it.
Is it possible to have the Vortec specific pid's working with the 0411 PCM for those of us who have made the swap?

If you have not "validated PIDs" since the new PID was added by EFILive, it will show as unsupported. All new PIDs are initially marked as unsupported, until a PID validation is completed when connected to the target PCM.

Regards
Paul

hquick
December 22nd, 2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks again Paul.
I'll try it out tomorrow.

Lextech
December 23rd, 2007, 02:06 AM
WOW!

That is a Great addition for us Distributored Vortec guys. :rockon:
Just 1 more reason EFILive is the BEST tuning product on the market

Aloicious
December 23rd, 2007, 03:03 AM
WOW!

That is a Great addition for us Distributored Vortec guys. :rockon:
Just 1 more reason EFILive is the BEST tuning product on the market

yeah, you're telling me, I'm stoked!

Thanks again Paul, :master:

I'll have to check and make sure it all works when the 411 is in, hopefully this week.

hquick
December 23rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
It works.
I guess a problem I've just discovered is mine is reading -3.63.
Thanks again Paul for one more reason I hope to never set foot in a dealership again. This would have been the ONLY reason for me to ever do so.

hquick
December 23rd, 2007, 08:40 AM
I just logged that PID on my way into work. I saw a max of -6.38
I believe I just found where all my timing is disappearing to.

MICK
December 23rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Howard,

Check out the inside of your Distributor cap and see if the electrical contacts are burnt out?

When this is out of alignment the spark that jumps from the rotor button covers a greater area and tends to get a little aggressive on the contacts.

merry Xmas

Mick

hquick
December 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks Mick...will do.
I just killed my battery setting the offset. Lol! start...stop...start...stop etc.
I hope rotor and cap are OK...they're new.

hquick
December 23rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Does it work with EFILive whereby I can just rev to 1000 rpm after each adjustment of the dizzy to get a new reading on the CMP?
So I don't have to turn the ignition off every time?
I'll try it tomorrow if no one answers in the meantime.

jomobco
April 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
In reading the manual on my 99 suburban 5.7 ck1500 tonight it said to definitely turn off the ignition between CMP adjustments. And to set it at Zero.

Question: I'm trying to find an intermittent stutter and I took it to a GM dealer. He said my MAF is reading low and that my CMP was 12. He suggested setting it to minus 8. I'm assuming with my 5.7 and the 0411computer with the 2002 express van tune that it should be zero as well?
Edit: I found out in a subsequent search +/-2

With the CMP at -6 my MAF was 4.64 gm/sec at 5280' above sea level. With it set at 0-1 I get 3.32. 3.1 or so was what I was getting when the CMP was 12.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It certainly hasn't helped the stutter I'm looking for.

hquick
April 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I guess I should have followed this up. No, you don't have to start/stop the car every time.

buffalosep@yahoo.com
April 27th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Hi gang,

My buddy has messed with the distributor positon on his '99 Vortec, and the service manual says to connect the Tech 2 and look at the camshaft retard offset and adjust if necessary. Is there a PID in the new release for V2 to check this? I've looked and my old eyes can't see one that seems to fit the bill. Thanks for any help you can give.

you must have the #1 cylinder on top dead center on the compression stroke and on the distributor it has a #1 ref. mark built into the housing. align the dist. pointer re-stab dist. making sure it is still aligned. this will correct the cam and crank sync.

buffalosep@yahoo.com
April 27th, 2008, 06:59 AM
[QUOTE=buffalosep@yahoo.com;68948]you must have the #1 cylinder on top dead center on the compression stroke and on the distributor it has a #1 ref. mark built into the housing. align the dist. pointer re-stab dist. making sure it is still aligned. this will correct the cam and crank sync.

bmd2_colo
March 26th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Awesome info, thanks. Added to my scan tool dashboard... My Cam Offset was at ~-4.0 deg. At zero now, thanks guys.

Digging up the 5 year old thread... lol