PDA

View Full Version : Brand new not yet supported controllers

Boost
January 25th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Hi,
I want to help provide information about brand new GM vehicles so they can be tuned by EFILive sooner, as well as older non-supported vehicles. What do I need to do? I tried to read and post an '07 315 hp 4.8 Tahoe today, but it's Gen 5 and it didn't work. I also want to see the Ecotec supported, since it's widespread, not to mention the current supercharged Cobalt SS and the turbo Pontiac Solstice GXP as well as the Saturn Sky Redline. Come on guys I can help let's do this. There is no harm in expanding. I would definitely love to tune a stock 260 hp turbo Ecotec in a tiny car with EFILive.

dirt_track_racer_81
January 25th, 2007, 04:37 PM
ive had a few kids i race with ask all the time when im going to be able to tune the SS Cobalts

Blacky
January 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM
When you say you want to provide information, what sort of information do you want to provide? What sort of information can you provide?

Regards
Paul

Boost
January 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Reading new / not yet supported vehicles, and posting them. The other day I tried a 315 hp 4.8 liter '07 Tahoe, but it wouldn't let me because it's genV. How can I help?

Happy Jim
January 27th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I'm intrigued, if it's new and unsupported and therefore can't be read by EFILive......how do you read and post the information??????????????????:Eyecrazy:

Garry
January 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Not sure about what all is involved, but the basics of accessing information from the computer are usually well documented, even if the details of the data fields aren't clear ... therefore, some tool that just dumps everything it gets from the computer without the program enforcing just reading "known" OS versions could probably help ...

Of course, I could be all wrong here ;)

Blacky
January 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Without support built into the software, it is impossible to read an unsupported controller, for two reasons:

1. The seed/key algorithms are usually different between different controllers. EFILive has to add the seed/key info for a controller into the software before it can be read.

2. EFILive must send up a "bootloader" program written in assembler for the controller's CPU architecture. That bootloader is responsible for sending the data back to EFILive.

However, once we do add reading support for a controller we do require folks to read and send to us as, many different operating systems for that controller as they can find.

You'll see some requests for this for 4 cylinder vehicles soon....

Regards
Paul

Boost
January 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for explaining. Any requests are welcome. I feel I may be able to help quite a bit in this area in the future.

Baldturbofreak
May 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Im gonna dig this thread up before I post a new one.
Is EFI live planning on supporting the LNF 2.0 turbo that is in the Solstice GXP, SKY Redline, HHR SS, &cobalt SS?

Hp tuners has made a half assed effort at it and after 1 year in (full price) Beta, there is no new support (60% of the tables are missing) and no planned date of release.
Most of us that plopped down the credits are annoyed, some of us that bought the tuning suite just for the LNF solstice are downright Irate. They made no attempt to inform us that the Beta had no Rev control or torque management tables making it usefull for turning off CEl's and nothing more. When we ask when we are going to get an update we get a "gee I dunno" or sometimes a plain ol' F-off.

What is EFI Live's status on the Bosch Med9 pcm? in works? Timeline? If you can come in with full control over the Bosch controller you'd be heros to alot of folks and solidify alot of opionions about who has better customer service, and has better product.

GMPX
May 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
What is EFI Live's status on the Bosch Med9 pcm? in works? Timeline? If you can come in with full control over the Bosch controller you'd be heros to alot of folks and solidify alot of opionions about who has better customer service, and has better product.

Well, sorry to disappoint but the MED9 is not even on the radar for us. With our Bosch experiences during Diesel development we made a decision that we will stay clear of Bosch gas ECM's.
I do have a range of Bosch ECM's here including the MED9.6 and from what I have seen it's just as tough to work with as any other Bosch ECM.
So sorry Baldturbofreak, but EFILive isn't about to come to your rescue any time soon.
Have you looked to Europe for another alternative tuning solution, surely the MED9.6 is used on European cars too?

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
May 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
So that means no support for the new Cobalt SS turbos? Dang it, I was looking at getting one of them when they come out as a more fuel efficient car than my TrailBlazer, but no EFILive tuning means no purchase. Ive tasted being tuned, and never again will I own a GM car thats not tuned/able to be tuned.

Boost
May 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I seriously considered the new turbo Cobalt as well. An outstanding engine, but as you said, no tuning, no buy. They say it was the fastest FWD car ever tested at Nurburgring.

ScarabEpic22
May 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I seriously considered the new turbo Cobalt as well. An outstanding engine, but as you said, no tuning, no buy. They say it was the fastest FWD car ever tested at Nurburgring.

Aww man, you're just throwing salt on the wound! The SS S/C'ed ones are quick, I was bummed at first when they were trading the s/c for a turbo, but Im waaay over that now! Fastest ever FWD there huh? Wow.:rockon:

mistermike
August 17th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I just picked up a HHR SS, which is on the same delta platform as the Cobalt, and also set a class record at Nurburgring. I sure wish I could tune that sucker. Apparently Hahn Racecraft has cracked the ECM, but their handheld is around $1000. The "other guys" seem to be slowly chipping away at it, but the ECM apparently has nannys armed with bazookas. Bosch should stick to cordless drills instead of building Gestapo ECM's.

GMPX
August 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Bosch should stick to cordless drills instead of building Gestapo ECM's.
You win best post of 2008 for that line :rotflmao:

Cheers,
Ross

Boost
August 18th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I second that notion! There is still some time but you can't beat that, short, to the point, true and hilarious! :) LOL

HHR SS is very cool, but suffers even worse from lack of tuning due to only 230 hp. I couldn't feel any boost at all when I used to "test drive" them... ;) Love to have one though!

yellowC6ohio
August 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM
Without support built into the software, it is impossible to read an unsupported controller, for two reasons:

1. The seed/key algorithms are usually different between different controllers. EFILive has to add the seed/key info for a controller into the software before it can be read.

2. EFILive must send up a "bootloader" program written in assembler for the controller's CPU architecture. That bootloader is responsible for sending the data back to EFILive.

However, once we do add reading support for a controller we do require folks to read and send to us as, many different operating systems for that controller as they can find.

You'll see some requests for this for 4 cylinder vehicles soon....

Regards
Paul

how do you go about getting the seed/key info?

can they be found using GM dealer tools like the tech 2 or MDI or one of their other scaning / diagnostic tools?

Blacky
August 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM
how do you go about getting the seed/key info?

can they be found using GM dealer tools like the tech 2 or MDI or one of their other scaning / diagnostic tools?

The seed is displayed by EFILive whenever you attempt to tread/write a PCM.

The whole point of the key is that it is hidden and not available to be viewed. There are only two ways to get the key info from an unknown PCM:

1. Remove the Flash chip from the PCM and read the contents using an external eeprom reader (which is what we do here at EFILive).
2. Spend about a week trying every possible combination (65,535 of them) until you find the one that works.

Regards
Paul

Highlander
August 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
tell me about it...

mistermike
September 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM
The seed is displayed by EFILive whenever you attempt to tread/write a PCM.

The whole point of the key is that it is hidden and not available to be viewed. There are only two ways to get the key info from an unknown PCM:

1. Remove the Flash chip from the PCM and read the contents using an external eeprom reader (which is what we do here at EFILive).
2. Spend about a week trying every possible combination (65,535 of them) until you find the one that works.

Regards
Paul

3:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/hammer-1.jpg

CalEditor
September 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM
#4 build a program to hunt the Key down :secret:
#5 Have someone give it to you :angel_innocent:

Remember everything is for sale