PDA

View Full Version : Can't see the Roadrunner when I attempt to connect via EFILive

the Dragon
January 30th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Just to give a brief background:

I recently decided to switch from LS1Edit to EFI/RR after almost 6 years of tuning with Edit. I've already posted the MANY problems I've had with my EFILive, Wideband O2 Sensor, and my RR on LS1Tech. Jesse of Wait4me has attempted to assist me repeatedly with various issues to no avail at present.

Just ONE of my issues has to do with my difficulty with Registration (I won't even get INTO the joke-of-a Wideband the LC-1 and Innovative's "tech-support" has been :mad: )

Could someone walk me through step-by-step and tell me EXACTLY what icon I'm supposed to click to COMPLETE my EFILive registration?

So far I've had the Roadrunner for over a week and it's been nothing but a nightmare of software issues just to try and ACCESS the RR, Wideband, non-Demo, etc.

Does the RR NEED to be connected to the vehicle in order to upload tunes? I have it connected to my HP via the USB-port and HOPED I could at LEAST get my current tune loaded so as to show SOME kind of progress; this, as it turns out, was wishful thinking. After I click connect, the RR display says no device connected.

My experience with the EFI/RR/LC-1 thus far has been very disappointing especially when one considers the not-so-inconsiderable money spent on said tuning hardware/software.

Any assistance that can rectify these serious issues is very appreciated; otherwise I'll be forced to return everything to Jesse. No sense in having any of it if I can't use it.

Again, it's been a BEYOND ridiculously frustrating experience thus far.

Christopher

the Dragon
January 30th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I did the Registration . . . FINALLY.

The only problem resolved has been the non-Demo mode; still have RR communication and LC-1 calibration issues :(

VYSSLS1
January 30th, 2007, 01:38 AM
sorry to hear ur having dramas, have u used the search button, and read through the tutorials and the stickies, id start of here.

Also referals if u cant work it out from there, pm Blacky, Thorde or GMPX (sorry fellas more pm's for u to answer) But hey when i finally meet u guys its my shout :cheers:

So registration is worked out then.

what exactly is the problem ur having.

the Dragon
January 30th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Can't calibrate the Wideband. It is powered and working; tech support said "try using another laptop . . . or you'll have to send it in for our engineer to look at it."

If I would have educated myself about widebands before purchasing from Jesse I would have neeeeeeeeeeever got this one.

I've been trying to connect to the RR sitting on the couch; not installed in the vehicle.

It says that no RR detected.

I tried a couple of searches but I haven't perused many threads yet.

Does the RR NEED to be installed in the vehicle in order for my EFI/RR display to SEE it??

I just want to get SOMETHING done.

VYSSLS1
January 30th, 2007, 02:53 AM
have u licenced the road runner?

have u installed drivers for the road runner?

the wideband only works through the scan tool section, where it plugs into either v1 or v2. and then u have to select and validate pids. and it will be displayed.

yes the road runner u can connect to when the pcm is out of the car.

If uve done both of the above

VYSSLS1
January 30th, 2007, 02:58 AM
try these threads champ. i personally havnt got a lc1 ive got a lm1 with all the adaptors etc...

road runner drivers
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3928

wideband connection
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=564

at least start with these.

the Dragon
January 30th, 2007, 03:48 AM
have u licenced the road runner?

have u installed drivers for the road runner?

the wideband only works through the scan tool section, where it plugs into either v1 or v2. and then u have to select and validate pids. and it will be displayed.

yes the road runner u can connect to when the pcm is out of the car.

If uve done both of the above

The Wideband works, is powered, and is metering. All of this shows on EFILive when the PIN connector is plugged into the side of the box.

It (the LC-1) needs to be calibrated as I stated earlier and as mentioned in the literature shipped with the product.

We haven't been able to communicate with the Wideband through LM1 Programmer with 2 different laptops for unknown reasons; even Innovative, manufacturer for said Wideband, was unable to provide any meaningful assistance.

I didn't do research on Widebands, or the EFILive/RR for that matter, before I purchased the products; my mistake.

I normally put in the research before purchases, but I bought into all the internet "hype" of plug-and-play and "user-friendly;" again, my mistake :(

I'll look at the drivers link and get either Jesse or Chad on the phone later today to make a final attempt at resolving these issues.

I know the EFI/RR is light-years ahead of Edit; but with Edit it WAS just plug-and-play. Sacrifices must be made I guess for "better" tuning-software.

Christopher

Tordne
January 30th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Christopher,

I can't personally help you with the LC-1, but I can help you with any EFILive/RoadRunner related issues you may still have.

It is best done via IM (MSN, Yahoo, Skype etc.)

Cheers,

GMPX
January 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Christopher, I'm sure Andrew will sort you out with the RoadRunner. One thing I've not seen on a few occasions is Windows assigns the virtual com port for RoadRunner to some insane number like COM13, you can go in and change that is the System properties area in Windows. Drop it to below 10. This is all assuming the USB drivers etc are installed correctly, usually if you hear the Windows 'ding dong' sound when you plug the USB plug from Road Runner in then the drivers are installed O.K.

As for the LC1, sorry but I have no experience with that WBO2, but many people use it with no problems, so I guess live in hope that it will be resolved soon for you.

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
January 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Christopher,

Have you plugged in the terminator plug in the SERIAL IN cable, and the 9-pin D adapter on the SERIAL OUT...?

Joe

limited cv8r
January 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Christopher, have you set up a virtual com port in efilive for the RR. Also have you read this on Craigs site for setting up your RR. http://www.moates.net/roadrunner/livestart.htm.

oztracktuning
January 30th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I had a similar issue yesterday when starting with a roadrunner and the problems was that the Bluetooth capability in the laptop was mucking up the com port functioning. I changed com ports to a lower number in my Hardware Devices manager for roadrunner and everything started working fine.

the Dragon
January 30th, 2007, 11:42 AM
First, I wanna thank EVERYONE for all the support that you are offering :)

Moreover I applaud everyone's patience and tolerance for my demeanor; I'm sounding extremely difficult to say the least as a result of my frustration.

I had the Terminator plugged in correctly as well as the usb communication cable.

I haven't continued my endeavor as of yet because my Wife has been feeling ill; it got reeeeeeally cold, relatively speaking for S. Fl., last night :)

So She comes first.

I'll try to resolve all the remaining issues utilizing all of your suggestions, including the PM'S I've received, tomorrow.

On a sidenote, OZTracktuning, I get over 30 mpg highway at speeds above 80 in 6th :) Not too shabby for dinosaur Edit tuning with an MS4, LS6 Heads, FAST 90/90, and Kooks 1 7/8" :D

Black02SS
January 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM
http://download.efilive.com/tutorials/Interactive/Installing%20Drivers%20for%20Moates%20RoadRunner%2 0PCM.htm

joecar
January 30th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Chad, nice tutorial. :cheers:

Doc
January 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Hello Christopher,
Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. First things first...What wideband have you been using for the last six years with Edit? I mean if you have this MS4 beast tuned to get over 30mpg surely you had some success with some other brand of wideband?

You also said you could not get the LM-1 programmer to work? So I take it you have not been able to talk to the LC-1s controller via a serial to USB converter? Which brand of converter are you using?

How do you have the "calibration" wire for the LC-1 hooked up? Irregardless, you have to be able to program the LC-1's controller first so let's knock that out first.

the Dragon
January 30th, 2007, 11:44 PM
http://download.efilive.com/tutorials/Interactive/Installing%20Drivers%20for%20Moates%20RoadRunner%2 0PCM.htm

I followed that detailed tutorial, accessed my current tune which is saved on the Desktop, and reached the point where I pressed the following button under the Roadrunner display panel:

"Program Roadrunner PCM with operating system and calibrations."

I'll know if it loaded later today when I install the Roadrunner; but I'm very confident that it was successful.

THANK YOU!
:cheers:
Doc:

I used to have the time to spend hours upon hours . . . upon HOURS of meticulous and TEDIOUS logging and tuning with my Car (I used to be an obssessive-compulsive MANIAC with tuning my car).

After I got it "tuned," I got bored and just decided to squeeze as much mpg efficiency as possible out of my set-up; since my WOT A/F and part-throttle driving "side-effects" were resolved (Devon, LoudmouthLS1, can attest to the excellent manerisms my car exhibits considering the set-up and lack of a wideband).

Doing such redundant and time-consuming logging and tuning, for lack of a better word, SUCKED :D

I was using a Keyspan USB-to-Serial adapter prior to the recommendations made in this thread and via PM.

I will attempt to use one of the 2 adapters I've obtained via recommendations.

Through careful instruction from Jesse, Wait4me, over the phone we attempted to calibrate the LC-1 using the Terminator plug in the Out AND In female ports . . . just to see if something were amiss from the factory mechanically.

We could not pass the "no serial port detected" prompt.

Which brings us back to the USB/Serial port adapters that sit before me on my living room table :)

Later today, I will make yet another attempt at programming this irksome Wideband :)

Nevertheless, progress HAS BEEN MADE . . . and in spades!!! :)

I know it's getting old reading it . . . but . . .

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
:cheers:

Christopher

Black02SS
January 31st, 2007, 01:29 AM
Glad to see it worked out for you. :)

Doc
January 31st, 2007, 02:48 AM
Hey noproblemo,
Sounds like you are on the right path...do you have access to another laptop\pc to get the lc-1 handshake done?

joecar
January 31st, 2007, 03:54 AM
Hey noproblemo,
Sounds like you are on the right path...do you have access to another laptop\pc to get the lc-1 handshake done?Yes, a laptop/PC with a serial port.

the Dragon
January 31st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Hey noproblemo,
Sounds like you are on the right path...do you have access to another laptop\pc to get the lc-1 handshake done?

The first two Serial/USB adapters didn't work but the third time's a charm :)

Belkin USB/Serial works with my HP for future reference.

I have to pick your brains once again; do I log the Wide Band AFR 1 - LC-1
or the Wide Band AFR 1 - Wideband Commander?

The two parameters appear to show different readings.

On a side-note: I guess JR, TeamZR1, was correct, to a point, about the level of leanness these cars can run at cruise/part-throttle. I've been running leaner than most, I would think, for the past couple of years with an MS3 AND MS4.

So lean, in fact, that I will not post the AFR because I wouldn't want to be partially responsible for someone else doing this and potentially harming their engine (I spent a lot of time riding the edge of lean and BOOM :eek: ).

All of the above will become moot once the new autoVE operating system comes out :rockon:

And my Wife has recovered from the South Florida freeze :D

She had a Bikini photo-shoot with one of our photographers on Fort Lauderdale Beach and it was . . . chilli ;)

I know it isn't forum related but I know I'll get asked anyway; so here ya go - http://www.myspace.com/brendathebunny

I haven't checked yet but if there's a Lounge-type forum here I'll post photos if requested :)

Doc
February 1st, 2007, 04:08 AM
Wide Band AFR 1 - LC-1

Is the one you want for the Innovate LC-1. So, you finally got LogWorks to work? I take it you entered the high and low presets into the controller as per the tutorial?

Glad to hear things are turning around for you.

the Dragon
February 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Wide Band AFR 1 - LC-1

Is the one you want for the Innovate LC-1. So, you finally got LogWorks to work? I take it you entered the high and low presets into the controller as per the tutorial?

Glad to hear things are turning around for you.

Excellent :)

Yes, I input the presets:

Gasoline 14.7
.8833 at 10 AFR
4.2167 at 20 AFR

That's what I remember off the top of my head but I followed the instructions verbatim :)

I've been reading about the widebands and found diverse responses concerning calibrations; stuff about free-air calibrating?? Just curious.

You guys are fantastic! It's been a while since I've been completely lost concerning my car's tuning :)

Now . . . when's that new autoVE come out :notacrook:

Tordne
February 1st, 2007, 11:35 AM
Now . . . when's that new autoVE come out :notacrook:

Probably looking at a bit over a week at this stage. Beta testing is so far going very well!

If you haven't seen already this is a good example: http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=40911&postcount=15

TAQuickness
February 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM
I'll second that. RTACS is pretty dang cool

powertrippin
February 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
"EFI LIVE" as the collective; is THe CATS MEOW
I'm so glad I got the REAL DEAL!!!!
Thna:notacrook: :notacrook: :notacrook: :notacrook:
Ed

Black02SS
February 5th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Double check the port settings and use the same USB plug that you installed it with.

the Dragon
February 5th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Double check the port settings and use the same USB plug that you installed it with.

Just needed to double-check my brain :bash:
Current post deleted.

Maybe if I had the EFILive cable plugged in too the RR would connect :bash: :bash: :bash: