PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Way to compare tables

Kiwi Ed
February 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM
Just want some tips on comparing tables, I suppose 2 screens would be the best, the Alt buttons are handy, tryed to print by edit > paste but it printed in Hex.:frown:
Can they be printed somehow

Thanks

johnv
February 2nd, 2007, 09:56 AM
If the same operating system just use "load alternate file" tab and and use the compare functions to show differeces or similarities.

The sumery of differences you should be able to copy and paste to note pad or word etc for a hard copy.

To copy changes from the compared file, just highlight the calibration in the summery window and click on the update tab.

If different operating systems you will have to open a seperate window and visually compare,but you can still copy from one and paste to the other.

Kiwi Ed
February 2nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
If I'm looking at a stock table and a modified table and I want to change some of the areas of the modified table, if I had 2 screens I'd be looking at the mod table or stock on 1 screen and writing my changes on the other (I haven't got 2 screens).
If I could print the tables out would help - can this not be done?
I have printed out summaries, histories etc.
Thanks.

Biggsy
February 2nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Actually, I'm interested in this too.
There is nothing like having a "hard" copy in front of you to work off of.
I also have problems with comparing tables from two different operating systems where you cant use the ALT comparison function.

Looking through some of the posts in this forum I see people attaching screen shots of their tables.
What are you guys using to create these screen shots?
If I could create my own screen shots, I would be able to print them out.

Cheers,

Dave.

DrX
February 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Looking through some of the posts in this forum I see people attaching screen shots of their tables.
What are you guys using to create these screen shots?
If I could create my own screen shots, I would be able to print them out.

Cheers,

Dave.

One method: Hit the "Print Screen" key, open MS Paint>Edit>Paste. Then edit as desired and "Save As" in your preferred file format to your preferred location.

kbracing96
February 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
All you have to do to capture screen images and print them is to hit the print scrn button, then open MS paint and paste it in there. Then you can crop as desired and then print out a hard copy. If you want to post the image, after you crop it in MS paint, save it as a JEPG and upload it to a site like photo bucket and then insert the link from Photo Bucket into your post. HTH

Biggsy
February 2nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
It worked!!!! Amazingly simple, thanx for that guys!:cheers:

Dave.

Kiwi Ed
February 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Yeh managed to get it to work, :) Thanks

When V 8 comes out it will have print function built in, at least for history etc, ;)

Blacky
February 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Another option for comparing tables is to copy/paste to Excel (if you have Excel).

When you select a range of cells and right click and selct "Copy with labels", EFILive creates a clipboard copy of the data that is compatible with Excel. You can then just paste the data into Excel and it will be formatted into the Excel spreadsheet ready for any type of manipulation, comparison and even printing.

Hint: to select the whole table, click in the top-left, blank, grey cell. (click in the table and press Ctrl+A).

Regards
Paul

joecar
February 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Biggsy, more info: showthread.php?t=3064 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3064)

Biggsy
February 3rd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Biggsy, more info: showthread.php?t=3064 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3064)

Thanx Joecar, I missed that one in the search:Eyecrazy:

Looks like you are a valuable asset to the group! I like your pictorial explainations, they will help lots of people.:)

Dave.

joecar
February 4th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Thanx Joecar, I missed that one in the search:Eyecrazy:

Looks like you are a valuable asset to the group! I like your pictorial explainations, they will help lots of people.:)

Dave.Dave, thanks; I understand pictures better than words. :cheers:

Biggsy
February 4th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Dave, thanks; I understand pictures better than words. :cheers:

Just giving credit where it is due:cheers:

You can explain a whole heap more with just one picture, as the saying goes :

A picture is worth a thousand words............

Dave.

Kiwi Ed
February 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM
If I'm looking at a stock table and a modified table and I want to change some of the areas of the modified table, if I had 2 screens I'd be looking at the mod table or stock on 1 screen and writing my changes on the other (I haven't got 2 screens).
If I could print the tables out would help - can this not be done?
I have printed out summaries, histories etc.
Thanks.

I have read about people using 2 screens, I take it you would open EFI twice, & what all would you need to hook them up.

DrX
February 25th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I have read about people using 2 screens, I take it you would open EFI twice, & what all would you need to hook them up.

AFAIK you can open multiple instances of the tuning tool when working with different OSs, but you can't actually link them. You can copy and paste values from the tables between them, but not entire segments.

If you are just dealing with a single OS, you can just load the alternate tune as described above and toggle back and forth between the two. Or if you want to look at both side by side you can open a second instance of EFILive and adjust the window sizes so that both will fit on your screen.

bK
February 25th, 2007, 12:10 PM

If you have the luxury of 2 monitors running off your computer, I found this very easy to compare tunes from different OS's. 1st screen with 1 copy of EFILive Tuning and the 2nd screen with a different copy of EFILive tuning.

Kiwi Ed
February 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM
. Or if you want to look at both side by side you can open a second instance of EFILive and adjust the window sizes so that both will fit on your screen.

How do you this

Kiwi Ed
February 27th, 2007, 09:39 PM
If you have the luxury of 2 monitors running off your computer, I found this very easy to compare tunes from different OS's. 1st screen with 1 copy of EFILive Tuning and the 2nd screen with a different copy of EFILive tuning.

Is any thing special needed to do this ?

DrX
February 28th, 2007, 03:42 AM
How do you this

Open 2 instances of the Tuning Tool.
Click on the "Restore Down" button(green arrow).
Click(and hold) on and drag the borders of the windows around until they are sized as you want them.
Click on the top bar to drag the entire window around.
Just click on whichever window you wish to bring to the top.
You can do the same thing with the table windows themselves to resize and reposition them.
You can also drag the frame borders within the Tuning Tool to resize them.

Here's an example:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n241/TDOC2004/DualEILive.jpg

For dual monitors you will require a video card with dual outputs and an operating system that supports this(e.g. XP).

bK
February 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Is any thing special needed to do this ?

Using either a computer with 2 video outputs or a laptop with an external monitor, setup the 2nd screen as an extension of the 1st screen not as a copy (same image on both screens)

Open 2 copies of EFILive Tune, drag the 2nd copy to the 2nd screen. And you should have a screen that looks like this.
http://www.bknk.net/public/efilive/2screens.jpg

Blacky
February 28th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Reminds me of when we were at SEMA last year. I was complaining about not haveing a dual monitor available to demo the linked Scan and Tune tool software, both running at the same time on the same laptop. Richard (aka ringram) just happened to be nearby and showed me how to set up the laptop to display two different outputs on two different two screens.

I never knew my laptop could do that, and I thought I knew stuff about computers :( (Thanks Richard - make me look stoopid :bash: again!!!)

Paul