PDA

View Full Version : CASE Relearn

Fratsit
February 4th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I installed a cam back in September and upgraded to a 02 OS system a few months back. While browsing the forum here and at LS1tech I was reading about a CASE relearn.

My question is with the new cam and upgraded OS would a crank position sensor relearn be the smart thing to do?

I eventually plan to run my RR full time in the car, but for now I am still using the stock PCM.

R/

Frat

Happy Jim
February 5th, 2007, 01:39 AM
You shouldn't need to do the CASE even after a full flash as all the cal details are retained. I am no expert but if you needed to re-learn I think you'd know by now (presumably the car would either not run, or run like a bag of spanners if it needed doing).

Rgds

Jim

joecar
February 5th, 2007, 04:58 AM
A CASE relearn is needed if:
- crank sensor is replaced,
- PCM is replaced,
- stall converter is installed (change of "rotational mass").

Otherwise as Jim stated, the PCM stores CASE info in non-volatile memory which is not altered by reflashing.

Fratsit
February 5th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

By the way.... whats a "bag of spanners"? :)

Thanks again.

R/

Frat

Joel_SS
February 5th, 2007, 07:44 AM
- crank sensor is replaced,
- PCM is replaced,

Otherwise as Jim stated, the PCM stores CASE info in non-volatile memory which is not altered by reflashing.

Joe, you mention a stall being added.. You think not doing this could casue idle problems? I have some idling gremlins I cannot get out and I have a 4k stall and a CASE has never been prefomred that I am aware of..

joecar
February 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Joel,

From what I've previously read from GM drivability class material, it seems that the PCM uses CASE info in it's misfire detection algorithm (PCM uses crank sensor position error limits to analyze the rate of change of crank motion, and if it's outside computed "envelope", then it flags a misfire...)...

The engine's rotating mass "moment of inertia" (which includes the TC) has a direct influence on the rate of change of crank motion...

How this relates to idle: I don't know what the PCM does if it detects misfires at idle... :nixweiss: ...I have no idea. :bash:

How this relates to TCC lockup: the PCM momentarily unlocks the TCC when misfires are detected.

So, for the TCC, it would be a good idea to do a CASE relearn anyway. ;)

Joe

Happy Jim
February 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM
By the way.... whats a "bag of spanners"? :)
Frat

What my car sounds like after I've been tinkering with it :muahaha:

Fratsit
February 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM
:eek:

:cheers:

Frat

joecar
February 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM
spanner (UK) == wrench (US)

Biggsy
February 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
spanner (AUS) == loser/idiot (world):)

OK, did not know that. I changed my torque converter to a 3000rpm stall a few months back. Its physically smaller/lighter than the original one. So you're saying I should do a CASE relearn?

I haven't noticed any difference since the install (except severe lack of traction to the road! :D )

What problems should/could happen?

Dave.

joecar
February 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Dave,

CASE info has to do mainly with misfire detection;

if you're not having problems due to misfires (mainly TCC repeatedly unlocking momentarily) then you should be fine without doing it;

some people do it, some don't.

Joe

Biggsy
February 5th, 2007, 09:16 PM
No problems, it aint broke so I wont fix!

Thanx Joe:cheers:

Dave.

joecar
February 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Dave.Yeah... lol, generally speaking, I learnt that lesson the long hard way, mate... :cheers:

Fratsit
February 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Dave.

Yeah...don't be a Spanner :D

...sorry...had to do it. :)

R/

Frat

joecar
February 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM
lol.

TAQuickness
February 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM
IF there is any doubt, performing a case relearn wouldn't hurt. only takes about 15-30 seconds to perform as well.

Biggsy
February 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah...don't be a Spanner :D

...sorry...had to do it. :)

R/

Frat
:moon1: ;)

Fratsit
February 7th, 2007, 10:39 AM
:cheers: