PDA

View Full Version : Finally - new REAL CARS from GM! Pontiac G8 arrives in August!

emarkay
February 7th, 2007, 07:22 AM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/06/2008-pontiac-g8/

"The sedan rides on GM's new Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform, which underpins the 2009 Camaro and the next-generation Impala, in addition to several other planned vehicles..."

OK! Let's hope the "oil burners" can accept a small delay in August updates while Paul and Ross delve into this one! :)

Tordne
February 7th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I believe this is in fact an exported VE Holden Commodore ;). Pretty sure I've read that somewhere.

I believe this uses the E38 controller which is due out shortly, so should be fine for the release of this vehicle :cheers:

GMPX
February 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
That sure is our current Commodore, lets hope it is welcomed a little better than the GTO was.
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid=4

Cheers,
Ross

Bruce Melton
February 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Looks nice but it is a bit plump @ 3,800 lbs. Has the LS2 block, L92 heads and L76 90mm intake so it is going to love a cam. 500 FW is going to be just the beginning of its potential.

emarkay
February 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM
That sure is our current Commodore, lets hope it is welcomed a little better than the GTO was.
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid=4
Cheers,
Ross

The GTO was way overpriced ($38K) had no trunk (boot) space and no sunroof option. Plus it was poorly marketed and well, was sort of Toyota looking...

SS2win
February 7th, 2007, 03:44 PM
you can only pimp up grand prix styling so much... pontiac really needs to get a clue. it's like they have two brain cells that are working hard to multiply; unfortunately they're both male...

emarkay
February 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
you can only pimp up grand prix styling so much... pontiac really needs to get a clue. it's like they have two brain cells that are working hard to multiply; unfortunately they're both male...

I must be old, but "pimp-up" brings to mind a RWD Cadillac with wire wheels, curb feelers, fog lamps, leopard skin interior and JC Whitney stick on chrome thingies, along with an overdressed minority male attempting to drive while stoned and a vapid underage victim in the passenger seat.

And the GP in this era was a wrong wheel drive fleet car, wasn't it?

Bruce Melton
February 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I must be old, but "pimp-up" brings to mind a RWD Cadillac with wire wheels, curb feelers, fog lamps, leopard skin interior and JC Whitney stick on chrome thingies, along with an overdressed minority male attempting to drive while stoned and a vapid underage victim in the passenger seat.

And the GP in this era was a wrong wheel drive fleet car, wasn't it?

Yeah, you must be old cause I have a perfect mental picture.:)

GMPX
February 8th, 2007, 10:51 AM
The GTO was way overpriced ($38K) had no trunk (boot) space and no sunroof option. Plus it was poorly marketed and well, was sort of Toyota looking...

O.K, so having owned an F-body before I must say the GTO trunk space for a 2 door was exceptional in comparison. BUT, before I hold myself to that claim, I know Holden had to move the fuel tank to meet US rear end crash standards (thanks FORD), so maybe your local version was worse than out here?
Either way, think yourselves lucky that GM is even bothering to offer a RWD V8 4 door. That's one thing you can give the Germans some credit for, none of their 4 doors are FWD.

Cheers,
Ross

SS2win
February 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM
if pontiac could have resisted the impusle to make it look like "one of the family", I'd be more pleased..

ScarabEpic22
February 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Audi has a FWD A3/A4/A6 if you dont get Quattro (but who buys an Audi without Quattro, whats the point in that???)

GMPX
February 8th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Sorry, I never thought of Volkswagon.....errr, sorry Audi. I was referring to Merc and BMW.

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
February 8th, 2007, 09:15 PM
.. opel.. loads of FWD shite.

Just think of all the nice cheap parts and mods for the G8.

My next car will be an SS VE maybe series 2. Thats for sure. Im thinking twinscrew like the magnacharger/harrop/starr etc. Plus cam.

Nice

PladdPezzPunk
February 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM
That looks awesome. Hopefully GM follows suit with all their future cars. I hate to say it but it almost looks BMWish

Biggsy
February 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of the VE commodore, its awesome and I can't wait for the second hand market to be full of VE's so I can own one. BUT...... It definately looks a cross between a BMW and Mazda.

Dave.

mickkk
February 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM
This is the HSV GTS same as your Pontiac and 10 other cars with the same body.I dont drive it - Wife does - It doesnt stack up to my Chevy Duramax truck with EFI McRat in it

pkincy
February 24th, 2007, 05:57 AM
What do you perceive as its shortcomings.

I know it is a heavyweight but most 4 doors are. What do you not like?

Also,what ecm does the Holden use? And what do we expect the G8 to use. I am likely to have a 402-418 ready when the cars are introduced but how it is built will be dependent on computer tuning possibilities.

Perry

ringram
February 24th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Im pretty sure the VE is an E38 ECM looks like you guys will get DOD while Oz dont. Either way heads are L92 from what I gather.
A nice base for mods.

Just some fun to be had with the new 3rd degree VE table calculations for SD.

mickkk
February 25th, 2007, 08:24 AM
What do you perceive as its shortcomings.

I know it is a heavyweight but most 4 doors are. What do you not like?

Also,what ecm does the Holden use? And what do we expect the G8 to use. I am likely to have a 402-418 ready when the cars are introduced but how it is built will be dependent on computer tuning possibilities.

Perry

Mechanically it probably is better than the other side of it. Nothing wrong with motor or trans etc. The body is alot tinnier than the others - This the 9th hsv weve had. Vision is probably 20-30% less when driving compared to the old VZ. If you are into cars its ok. Its a bit hard getting out of my chev duramax with about 1000 tq and getting into the gts - its just so gutless. Maybe with efi good tune might make it more interesting. I guess the biggest piss off for us was we were waiting for a 427 or something special for the gts - then they bring out the same motor in the clubby and senator and at the end of the day doesnt go much better than the VZ GTS we traded. On top of that we have been waiting since October for the DVD and SatNav that was meant to be installed that we paid for. This will be last Holden we buy after all the poor service results etc and after spending over $1mil on Holdens the past 13 years we will be changing like alot of others I know