PDA

View Full Version : PCM OS within the same line of car/engine of the same year

Raven
February 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM
hi,
this is my first post, though not my first visit.
I have a 2003 Holden Caprice and I have installed K&N CAI, Granatelli MAF,MSD Coils and wires,Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs and FAST 90/90 been tuning it for sometime it's fun, I bought this car as a daily driver and specifically to tune and have fun since I couldn't find the right tool to tune my BMW although it's highly tuned from the factory but the speed limiter is annoying me ;)
I have done the AutoVE and the MAF using LC-1 WBO2, tried the SD and noticed the car is much faster with the MAF I'm not sure why.
I'm using 98 octane and still experiencing KR at WOT!! so I thought it is time to try and fix that but before that I have a friend with the same car 2003 but the build date is not the same my car August 2002 his car December 2002 I read his PCM same OS and compared it to my car's tune and there was a difference in many areas including the spark table which I'm thinking of using but not sure if this is a good idea.
is the spark table or the tune entirely unique to each build?
is his tune or any other more recent tune with the same OS on the same car model considered an update to mine and I can use it as an update?

replies appreciated.
Regards.

dfe1
February 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I don't know how things work in Australia/New Zealand, but with US car models, differences are all over the map. In some cases, the calibrations are virtually identical across a number of models, in other cases, there are some pretty significant differences. In some cases, I think big changes are a result of an attempt to correct problems, rather than variances from one build to another. In your case it might be that GM found the original calibrations to be too aggressive and softened things up sometime between August and December.

You shouldn't have any problems switching from one tun file to another since the operating systems are the same, but keep in mind that you may have to make adjustments to compensate for differences in equipment and options.

Raven
February 9th, 2007, 09:27 PM
keeping in mind that OEM main goal is th product must pass the warranty period then who cares and never performance squeezing all the power out an engine,
I guess an update would be more likely in that direction not performance that we seek.
I'll keep my tune and might selectively make changes by comparing the two tunes.

BTW I'm not from Australia/new Zealand, I'm from Kuwait and the Holden caprice is rebadged here as Chevrolet caprice.

thank you.

Regards

dfe1
February 10th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Interesting, in the US, the Chevrolet Caprice is rebadged as a Chevrolet Caprice.

Seriously, in the US, the Caprice name was dropped several years ago, but like a lot of things within GM, it didn't really die, it was just transferred to a different division. Good luck with your tuning, and welcome to the EFILive community.

Raven
February 10th, 2007, 07:15 AM
the last real Chevrolet Caprice here in Kuwait was the 1996, the car very popular in the area so in 2000 the Holden Australia subsidiary of GM line of cars was introduced in the area as Chevrolet Caprice and Chevrolet Lumina to this day.

thank you, it is good to be part of the EFILive community.

Regards.

Biggsy
February 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Raven, I know here in Australia, each time a new model or series of car is released, Holden quite often increase the KW rating of the motor (mostly 5 or so kw). When you look at the tunes you notice the overall timing from each has slighty increased. They also change known issues eg Fault code triggering ,hesitation etc
If he has the same operating system as yours, don't be afraid to give it a try.
I was running a 2002 system in mine when I started out, I flashed a 2003 system in (2003 had the same motor/pcm). It made a difference straight away. (running a custom OS now with a custom tune)

Raven
February 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I checked the timing his timing has decreased and I did race him but I already had installed CAI and did the AutoVE and MAF tuning, from a stop I didn't have traction till third and still I was less than a car length behind and when the traction is back I smoked him. from a roll he got no chance.
he can floor his car from a stop and the tires won't spin at all.

by the way 2003 here is the WH. 2004 is what you have in Australia as the 2003 I guess. it seems we're one year behind in models.

thank you Dave.

Regards
Nasser.

Biggsy
February 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Wait till you see the latest Caprice!

Raven
February 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM
it's already here, seen a couple of races here for the Commodore SS,
here as Lumina SS.