PDA

View Full Version : Well did a test on the full rewrite and check this out..

wait4me
May 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM
I know this is something NO ONE should try but i was just checking what it would do, So, Here is what i did, I loaded a program and started the full rewrite and even at the very begining i was able to sucessfully recover the pcm. But my other cable brand was not able to do it,
The test was: kill the pcm with a rewrite and unplug the cable durring the first 1 second of operation after the full erase. then dissconnected the ignition, but not the battery, then hooked the ignition back up. The pcm was for sure dead, it showed no voltage and could not be found with any scanner. Then hooked up the other guys tool and seen if it would connect, no go. It would only say pcm not found. So i went back to the efi live program and did a full rewrite again and PooF!! It started programing again, It was kinda slow on the rewrite, so i cancelled the rewrite and restarted the pcm and then did a rewrite again and it took only 2 minutes. :) Woohoo... Im trying to kill one, just havent had any luck yet..

Blacky
May 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
EFILive's super secret technology :)

bink
May 2nd, 2005, 01:55 PM
:shock: .....Very slick.

Should make us all feel a bit more comfortable when writing to a pcm.

SS2win
May 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Sounds great! No plans to try it tho :shock:

GMPX
May 2nd, 2005, 03:00 PM
I must admit, speaking as somebody who has been known to reflash the car sitting at the traffic lights!!, I just could not bring myself to pull the connector on my own car just a full flash starts.
Obviously we did that on our test PCM's though and that's why it can handle such a situation.

The key to success is to never remove battery power to the PCM if failure occured within the first 4 or 5 seconds. You can turn the IGN off so the battery does not drain, just don't unhook the battery.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
May 2nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
I must admit, speaking as somebody who has been known to reflash the car sitting at the traffic lights!!,

I fell off my chair laughing when Ross just casually dropped the line "I was reflashing my car while the lights were red..." in a conversation one day.

Don't try that at home.... it is not EFILive's recommended reflashing technique.

Paul

wait4me
May 2nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
why not?? you have 6 seconds to spare before it will turn green again... :shock: :)

VT LS1 NZ
May 2nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
I must admit, speaking as somebody who has been known to reflash the car sitting at the traffic lights!!,

I fell off my chair laughing when Ross just casually dropped the line "I was reflashing my car while the lights were red..." in a conversation one day.

Don't try that at home.... it is not EFILive's recommended reflashing technique.

Paul

I laughed too when I read this,I actually contemplated doing that but knowing the drivers here I'm likely to get hit up the arse if it didn't finish in time even with the quick reflash time.
Anyway I got pulled up Sunday while out on a test & tune while waiting for him I did a change and started reloading ,wound down the window and he said to me I heard you chirp your tyres back there ,then asked me what I was doing ,I said "chirping tyres wait till I load this new program you won't see me for all the smoke". Asked him if he wanted to come and have a drive ,naturally he declined .
We got talking for about 20 minutes .
When I left ,I chirped the tyres he turned around and had a big smile on his face.Turned out to be a good bloke. :roll: :roll: :D

VortechC5
May 3rd, 2005, 07:33 AM
What a riot! At least I pull off onto a parking lot to do mine... :)

I must admit, speaking as somebody who has been known to reflash the car sitting at the traffic lights!!, ...

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
May 3rd, 2005, 08:33 AM

Paul

joecar
May 3rd, 2005, 08:42 AM
I must admit, speaking as somebody who has been known to reflash the car sitting at the traffic lights!!

He he he, that's pretty funny...

I've never done that...
but, a long time ago (25 years ago...), I managed to get my dad's HQ ute jammed in 3rd gear (three on the tree...); so while the traffic light was red I pounded (using a big rock that was sitting on the side of the road) on the gear levers on the side of the transmission and got it into neutral just in time for the traffic light to turn green; I quickly got back in, started the engine, selected 1st gear and was on my way, and nobody behind me even honked...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John Skiba
May 3rd, 2005, 08:47 AM
Well at least Ross isn't cruising down the highway, throwing it into neutral and trying to reflash. :lol: :lol: :lol: (Don't get any ideas Ross ;) Key cycle may be a little tricky. :P :lol: :lol: )

So if you were traveling at 80mph and did a cost down, what mph would you be at in 29seconds? :lol: Maybe you can draft that semi for an extra few seconds of time. :P

dbaxter_ss
May 3rd, 2005, 08:53 AM
Are you kidding, I have pulled over on the side of the highway, reflashed because i saw something I didn't like and kept going. :D

I reflash before I goto work, lunch and going home again if I want to see something. Only once did it hiccup, which most likely was my fault and have to start over.

Ole, EFI came up and said the pcm needed to be repaired, did it and continued on :D My old flashing software I would have been TOAST for at least a week.

I can say that during flashes prior EVERY TIME I would have major *$$hole puckers the whole time hoping it did not get cranky and toast the pcm. I am glad to say now that is no longer a problem.

Heck at the dyno prior MAYBE I could flash 2 maybe 3 times in the hour time I paid for. Now it takes longer to do the dyno run then flashing.

Blacky
May 7th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Well at least Ross isn't cruising down the highway, throwing it into neutral and trying to reflash. :lol: :lol: :lol: (Don't get any ideas Ross ;) Key cycle may be a little tricky. :P :lol: :lol:

Ah HA! foiled again. EFIlive and the PCM both check for RPM=0 and VSS=0 before allowing any reflash to occur. See, GM knew someone like you would try it...

It also checks battery voltage (before it erases the flash chip) to make sure its got enough juice run the programming voltage for the flash chip.

Paul

John Skiba
May 7th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Ah HA! foiled again. EFIlive and the PCM both check for RPM=0 and VSS=0 before allowing any reflash to occur. See, GM knew someone like you would try it...
Paul

:D We are talking about Ross, I'm sure he has a console of switches and wires running all over the place in his car. ;)

Highlander
May 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Well i have done it many times on the highway... just not coasting down ;)

Im still waiting for a few things to finally finish so i can start everything here... so far i have reflashed 1 PCM :'(

Tydriver
May 8th, 2005, 08:30 AM
This is awesome information and very re-assuring to hear.. This is the main reason I went with EFILive.. Since purchasing and registering it and then lurking here I have found NUMEROUS other reasons that EFILive is better than the competition..

Hands down the best choice I have made in a very long time.

EFILIVE > *

On an unrelated subject matter... Where are you guys getting the replacement OS's from ? Or are you just using your stock one ? Am I missing a site ? I wouldnt mind getting an overseas OS that will allow me to enable Lean Cruise on my truck..