PDA

View Full Version : Abuse mode

Biggsy
February 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM
G'day everyone,
I was searching around the internet last night, looking at various sites that advertise tuning.
I noticed that in the list of things they claimed they tinkered with, was, Abuse mode.
Now, maybe I am wrong, but I can't see any advantages of changing these settings (in a std or slightly modified car).
Anyone like to explain why these settings need to be changed?

Thanks

TAQuickness
February 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Guess it really depends on how much abuse you like. Smartarse answers aside - I have no idea.

Biggsy
February 14th, 2007, 12:00 PM
lol maybe people don't like abuse do they have it disabled!:D

GMPX
February 14th, 2007, 12:07 PM
It's used (as an example) to limit power or RPM's when you have the trans in park, hold the engine at 4,000RPM then shift to drive. The PCM will attempt to reduce power in an attempt to save GM a warranty claim.

Cheers,
Ross

Biggsy
February 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
It's used (as an example) to limit power or RPM's when you have the trans in park, hold the engine at 4,000RPM then shift to drive. The PCM will attempt to reduce power in an attempt to save GM a warranty claim.

Cheers,
Ross

Is that only in Auto's or Man's as well?
Why (for example) would one want to rev to 4000 and drop it into drive????:Eyecrazy:

GMPX
February 14th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Why (for example) would one want to rev to 4000 and drop it into drive????:Eyecrazy:

A rental :muahaha:

I 'think' the manuals can also use it with ETC and if they monitor the clutch switch.

Cheers,
Ross

5.7ute
February 14th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Is that only in Auto's or Man's as well?
I would think that you would need to play around with the settings if you want to stall the car up on the line for drag racing.

joecar
February 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Stalling up... you would already be in drive...

this is different than reving it high in park/neutral and then selecting drive.

5.7ute
February 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Yes I realise this but abuse mode is set by RPM,TPS & speed. If you are trying to stall up over the rpm & tps setting & your speed is set above 1mph abuse mode will be actuated.
Sorry I didnt make my point clear using the quote above. I meant a legitimate reason for modifying abuse mode.

Biggsy
February 14th, 2007, 04:29 PM
But then the car is no where near "std or slightly modified", If you have a stall that passes 4000 rpm.
These sites are referring to tuning cars that have exhaust mods, diff ratio changes, cold air etc..
If you have to stall your car past the rpm setting of abuse mode, you are probably looking at a car with more than "slight" modifications.

Biggsy
February 14th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Also, there is another setting to change for reducing engine power on stalling it up, I'm not on my laptop at the moment so I can't remember what it is called (something like brake stall torque), so I don't think (could be wrong again) the Abuse mode activates under stall conditions, needs to be park/neutral.

ScarabEpic22
February 14th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Interesting, I wonder if I can disable Abuse mode in my LL8, I hate only being able to rev to 4K in N, it gets annoying when trying to scare someone (with a SUV too, its pretty funny).

5.7ute
February 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Standard setting for abuse mode on an 05 commodore is 1200 rpm. I am sure with bolt ons you would want to stall it higher than this.

oztracktuning
February 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Some abuse modes stop auto cars ever being foot on throttle and foot on brake. One customer found he couldnt go up a steep grass hil towing a trailer because he couldnt get it going - without it activating.

Biggsy
February 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Standard setting for abuse mode on an 05 commodore is 1200 rpm. I am sure with bolt ons you would want to stall it higher than this.
Thats cool, like I said, I don't have access to my laptop at the moment so I cant look it up:)
Just remembering the 2005 manual SS I was playing with yesterday had the abuse mode set to over 6000rpm, that was the only thing (apart from Ross's example) that I had to go by.

Now that you have mentioned that setting, I understand a bit better.
Mind you, I have a 3000 stall on mine and you can plant your right foot and it will happily smoke both tyres up without effort and show no reduction in timing or increase in fueling on the log. This is also true when left foot is pressed down firmly on the brake at the same time. It's a 2002 commodore. I haven't touched the Abuse Mode settings.
I will have a good look when I get home.

This is why I posted, I wanted to know what other people know/do :)

Biggsy
February 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Some abuse modes stop auto cars ever being foot on throttle and foot on brake. One customer found he couldnt go up a steep grass hil towing a trailer because he couldnt get it going - without it activating.

MMMmmm, interesting, I'm definately going to look at my tune when home, maybe someone had played with the settings before I got to it!:bash:

5.7ute
February 14th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Let me know what you find. I havent played with an auto set up yet & would be interested to see what they have or havent done.

Biggsy
February 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Let me know what you find. I havent played with an auto set up yet & would be interested to see what they have or havent done.
Ok, it seems the abuse mode has been disabled in my tune!
The rpm threshold has been maxed out for "in gear" but zeroed for "in P/N"

Have a look in the attached screenshot, the description for the value that is highlighted, shouldn't it be "RPM is above"??

Cheers

jfpilla
February 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Would it make sense if it said this?

If the throttle is above this value ("even if" RPM is below {B1201} "Abuse Management (in Gear) Upper RPM Threshold"), then abuse mode is enabled.

Also, see D2001,2,3 and D0301.

5.7ute
February 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
As they have stated it as RPM below this does make sense as it is for torque reduction not engine speed.

Biggsy
February 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Would it make sense if it said this?

If the throttle is above this value ("even if" RPM is below {B1201} "Abuse Management (in Gear) Upper RPM Threshold"), then abuse mode is enabled.

Also, see D2001,2,3 and D0301.

could be, in which case, it is an 'or' function rather than an 'and' function like I thought.