PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - No Dashboard Response

CVs06Tahr
February 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I originally tried this question in another part of the forum with no responses. Maybe I'll have better luck here...

Just received my V2 Friday, checked it out and saved my full baseline OS with no problems. Then yesterday, following the Getting Started tutorial, I first successfully gathered info (PIDS) and then tried to do my first data logging. After first selecting the tab for the Dashboard, I started my engine and pressed Ctrl-M and got no response. The unit indicated that it was in USB mode but the File menu on the computer displayed both the Connect and Disconnect as grayed out (as were the buttons on the toolbar). Nothing else in the program seemed to respond at that point until after I shut off the engine and disconnected the unit. :bawl:

Any thoughts??

Tordne
February 18th, 2007, 07:07 AM
I'm going to assume that you connected to the vehicle (left most button on the toolbar, or CTRL+F3) before attempting to monitor - in fact I don't think that option is enabled till there is a connection.

Couple of things to check:

What version/build of the Tune Tool are you using? Open the Tune Tool and choose the 'Help>About' option...

When the connection to the vehicle is made the FlashScan V2 will have a protocol indication in the lower right portion of the LCD screen. This will read either CAN or VPW. For your vehicle it show CAN.

If you already have build 555 of the Tune Tool you can apply THIS UPDATE (http://download.efilive.com/software/EFILiveV734_495_627_578_51.zip). One of the big changes is the firmware included in this release, and the connection selection improvements.

Weird that the connect and disconnect options were disabled :eek:

CVs06Tahr
February 18th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I did press connect (actually from the File->Connect Menu) but could have easily done it with the button or Ctrl-F3

The Tune Tool is v7.3.3 Build 555 (I did verify that my CD contained the latest download version)

Yes, CAN was displayed in the lower right of the display

I'll apply the update and give it another go. BTW, isn't this the new beta version that adds some promised capability -- I seem to remember reading something yesterday about it but don't recall which part of the forum...

Yeah, I'll agree that either connect or disconnect should be disabled, but not both.

I'll let you know how things work out

CVs06Tahr
February 18th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Downloaded the update, now for the instructions on how and where to install them. :nixweiss:

Perhaps the instructions here will help me??: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4585

Also, assuming that this is a beta release, you probably like/enjoy feedback (like minor nits of misspelling on the second tab in the Firmware executable :) ).

CVs06Tahr
February 18th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Sitting in the car now... Updated S/W and F/W... No change in results.

Using Info-> Retrieve all test results still seems to work, but when going to the dashboard, starting the engine, then pressing Ctrl-M put the program into a Paused mode (according to the rightmost portion of the status bar) and disables both connect and disconnect buttons and menus.

Now what?

joecar
February 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Firsr try this: go File->Select Controller and select the right one.

CVs06Tahr
February 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM
When I first connect I have been selecting the E40 controller (I have a 2006 LS2 GTO). I have not tried to specifically change that selection before starting the Dashboard.

Have I been selecting the wrong one?

Tordne
February 18th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Are you trying to see graph or gauges? Graphs don't show anything until you Record (different to monitor).

CVs06Tahr
February 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Gauges (F10 - type A). Though I also checked for the graphs as well.

Sorry for the long delay... just finished watching that wild end to the Daytona 500

Tordne
February 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Got MSN, Yahoo! or Skype?

CVs06Tahr
February 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Nope

Tordne
February 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM
If you are running the latest software/firmware try the following:
- Unplug V2 completely, both USB and RJ45 (OBDII)
- Turn vehicle on (start up)
- Connect V2 to car with the RJ45 cable and wait for it to boot and detect the vehicle
- Connect V2 to laptop with USB cable
- Open Scan Tool
- Connect to vehicle/V2 by pressing CTRL+F3
- Start recording by pressing F3

Let me know what happens with this process...

CVs06Tahr
February 18th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Okay, done. The status bar turned red and the frame counter in the lower right clocked up to about 10K before I stopped and saved the log_0000.efi file. Before stopping I again checked the dashpad and tried to start it, again with no success. However, this time I noted additional details:

The status bar turns yellow and states that it is paused
There is an active pause and stop button and pressing the pause button starts recording, but still no dashboard activity

I shut off and came back into the house and opened the log file and tried to replay it in the chart display (B option). However an error message appears stating that the "Channel count is 0, cannot load file".

It's getting late here (11:00 pm) and I have to get up early for work tomorrow. I'll check this forum during lunch tomorrow and try anything else you might suggest when I get back from work.

Tordne
February 18th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I'm really confused now....

The Red bar indicating recording and the fact you are actually getting logged frames means that it is working...

A Yellow bar shows that it is paused or Monitoring.

What is the "Dashpad" you mention?

Can you email the log to support at efilive dot com?

CVs06Tahr
February 19th, 2007, 12:31 AM
I'm really confused now....

The Red bar indicating recording and the fact you are actually getting logged frames means that it is working...

A Yellow bar shows that it is paused or Monitoring.

What is the "Dashpad" you mention?

Can you email the log to support at efilive dot com?

I would agree with you on the red bar. I thought that I was getting data too. However, I did not guess that while monitoring, which is what I'm assuming (now) that the system does when it is in the dashboard mode, is displayed as the yellow paused mode.

Sorry for the typo...dashpad should have read dashboard.

Log file is "in the mail"

joecar
February 19th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Which PIDs do you have selected (goto the PIDs tab)...?

wait4me
February 19th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Sounds like no actual pids are selected in the pids tab.

CVs06Tahr
February 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Just got home a few moments ago and noticed the 2 posts from joecar and wait4me regarding PIDS. I went back and re-read the tutorial and noticed that I had totally skipped over that part for some reason and never noticed it, so I highly suspect that this is the problem -- in fact, I can guarantee that no PIDs are selected. So if they are required, then this would, no doubt, be the problem.

For you IT folks out there, this would certainly qualify as a combination of PEBCAC and ID ten-T problems :oops: .

As it is getting late here, I'll try to give it a shot sometime tomorrow and let you know if I succeed

BTW: wait4me, I sent you an e-mail late Friday night with a question/request.

CVs06Tahr
February 20th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Okay, I'm officially embarassed. The missing PIDs was it.

I guess that next time, before I bother you folks with mundane problems, I'll read all of the instructions. :bash:

Thanks for everyones help. :master:

joecar
February 20th, 2007, 03:16 AM
No worries...:cheers: ...I've been there done that (falling into holes), and am still doing it...:muahaha: