PDA

View Full Version : Scan / Log basics without wideband 02 s.

Boost
February 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Hello,

Now that I've "tuned" about 10 vehicles by just modifying parameters, test driving, and making adjustments where I "felt" necessary :muahaha:
-with decent results I might add,
I'd like to start using the other 50+ % of EFILive. I want to monitor the vehicles behavior properly, and make precise adjustments based on my observations (you know, the normal way of tuning).
:help2:
Please run me through what I need to do to set myself up to look at / record a few things without a wideband O2 sensor (for now, I know I need one bad).
I'd like to look at those parameters (PIDs?) that are most vital for basic tuning. Thanks for the help. I have been doing really well with the software despite my little knowledge, and I'm ready to take the next step.
(Which, should have been the first step! -SCAN/LOG/TUNE- :nixweiss:)

SSpdDmon
February 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
The key is to understand the tables in the tune and how they can influence things.

Aside from the normal pids that monitor spark, kr, ect, rpm, fuel trims, etc....you should also watch throttle cracker and follower every now and then. Those two can be trouble makers or your best friend. Other than the WBO2, I don't log much of the non-standard stuff. If you do feel a table is the culprit for a "bug" in the tune, it'll usually tell you which .pids to reference. Just look in the tune...

joecar
February 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Without a wideband...

- calculate IFR from measured fuel pressure and injector ratings,
- maybe use average of LTFT1/LTFT2 to do CL MAF-less Auto VE tune,
- adjust CL MAF-less PE to keep HO2Sx1 voltages roughly at 920-940mV at WOT,
- adjust MAF to ~zero CL LTFT's and to keep HO2Sx1 voltages at 920-940mV at WOT.

920-940mV seems to be empirical/observed rule of thumb, but is not precise nor necessarily consistent.

Ansd what SSpdDmon said... monitor those pids and get "comfortable" with them before adjusting anything.

Boost
February 23rd, 2007, 01:08 AM
Just to make sure I understand:

IFR = ? injector flow rate ?
LTFT 1 /2 = long term fuel trim (bank 1 / 2)
CL MAF = ? CL ? mass air flow sensor
Auto VE tune = feature of EFILive that automatically tunes (for performance?)
PE = power enrichment (when fuel is added ?)
H2OSx1 = heated oxygen sensor ? x1 ?
mV = milliVolts
WOT = wide open throttle

Sorry to disect your post, I just want to follow what your saying 100%.
I've been hearing a lot about the "throttle cracker". Is there a separate table for it? Is it referring to the throttle response? I could sort of see how that would make a big difference (or cause hickups).

:thankyou2:

SSpdDmon
February 23rd, 2007, 03:37 AM
Just to make sure I understand:

IFR = ? injector flow rate ? (YES)
LTFT 1 /2 = long term fuel trim (bank 1 / 2) (YES)
CL MAF = ? CL ? mass air flow sensor (CL = CLOSED LOOP IS WHERE THE PCM COMMANDS A STOICH AFR **14.63:1** AND ADJUSTS FUELING ACCORDING TO STOCK O2 SENSOR FEEDBACK.)
Auto VE tune = feature of EFILive that automatically tunes (for performance?) (IT HELPS YOU TUNE THE VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY TABLE BY CALCULATING A % ERROR BETWEEN THE COMMANDED AND ACTUAL AIR/FUEL RATIOS. YOU CAN'T REALLY TUNE THE VE W/OUT A WB02 UNLESS YOU CREATE A CUSTOM .PID THAT WILL GIVE YOU A CORRECTION BASED OFF OF FUEL TRIMS OR USE EXCEL.)
PE = power enrichment (when fuel is added ?) (OPEN LOOP FUELING WHERE ADDITIONAL FUEL IS ADDED FOR HIGHER LOAD SCENARIOS TO MAKE MORE POWER)
HO2S (BxSx) = heated oxygen sensor ? (YES - Bx REFERS TO LEFT *B1* OR RIGHT *B2* AND Sx REFERS TO FRONT *S1* OR BACK *S2*)
mV = milliVolts (YES)
WOT = wide open throttle (YES)

Sorry to disect your post, I just want to follow what your saying 100%.
I've been hearing a lot about the "throttle cracker". Is there a separate table for it? Is it referring to the throttle response? I could sort of see how that would make a big difference (or cause hickups).

:thankyou2:

Throttle cracker adds airflow based on RPM and MPH. It's under the Engine>Idle>Learning directory. Basically, it's there to prevent the motor from choking itself when you're off the throttle. The throttle follower is in the same directory and is there to "soften" the changes you make with your right foot. That's the one that is more throttle response oriented. The throttle follower decay rate (rate at which the throttle follower airflow is reduced when no longer needed) and throttle cracker airflow are usually the cause for a hanging idle on cam'd cars.

joecar
February 23rd, 2007, 04:37 AM
Disect all you like, that's the best way to learn... :cheers: ...sorry for the acronym soup :Eyecrazy:, I'll find a link to a glossary.

Boost
February 25th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Ok, so I understand that the black box function (driving with the Flashscan only and recording info) is not yet available on V2. In order for me to Scan the vehicle while driving, just connect the laptop and open the Scan Tool?
Because I've tried that before and it didn't work...