PDA

View Full Version : Last Two Updates or Windows XP

Ninety8C5
February 23rd, 2007, 05:40 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with the last two beta updates. After extracting the files and trying to run the Scan or Tune tool XP complains that the programs are from a different computer or something like that and asks if I really want to run them.

I went into the 'Properties' for each and there was an 'Unblock' button. After clicking on that and the 'Apply' button everything is fine. Had to do that to every file in the download.

Is this from one of the recent 'Security' updates from MS or :nixweiss: ?

Blacky
February 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
It's not something I've seen here, and I'm pretty sure my XP box has all the latest updates applied. Where exactly is the [Unblock] button?
Maybe your virus checking software is adding that "feature".

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
February 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
This is what I see in the 'Properties' box, if the attachment works.

I guess it worked !

Ninety8C5
February 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Just to see if it was my anti-virus or just my PC, I downloaded with my laptop, extracted the files and got the same thing in the 'Properties' box. Both are running Windows XP.

Tordne
February 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Wow. Never seen that before :eek:.

About to update myself.. I saw there was a shit load of updates put out recently.

ringram
February 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Unless MS has just released something, that looks like some AV/Spyware kind of stuff has modified the properties dll.

Ninety8C5
February 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
I just downloaded the update with a laptop running Windows 2K, no problem!

Blacky
February 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Oh, I see what you mean now. I am pretty sure that is because the last two pre-release updates have required you to copy the *.exe files onto your machine manually instead of via the EFILive installation program which registers the programs correctly.

A complete CD version with the full installation and correct registration process is being created based on the most recent release. We do take extra time/care before committing a version of the software to CD. In the time that we are taking to verify the CD is setup correctly we make the software available as a pre-release download.

Regards
Paul