PDA

View Full Version : 00 vs. 02 Main VE

RevGTO
March 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I swapped my 00 OS to an 02 OS a while ago, but copied the 00 Main VE table to the 02 OS. I was wondering if there could be any advantages or detriments to using the 02 VE table. My car has CAI/lid/ported TB/catback, so my airflow is probably a little better than stock.

Before anyone mentions widebands, my buddy and I co-own an LM-1, but I'm still on manifolds and can't use it yet. So until I get headers, I'm thinking of trying the stock 02 VE and wondering if anyone has any ideas or thoughts about this.

Tordne
March 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM
The VE table that is best for your car is the one you create from doing the AutoVE ;) Until you get the WB perhaps tune from the LTFT or STFT data...

joecar
March 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM
You can insert the WB sensor in place of the NBO2 on your manifold since AVE (AutoVE) tuning is done in open loop.

Doc
March 4th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Probably not going to make much perceptable difference btw the two tables. You could cut and paste and compare the two. AutoVE really does work. RTACS is like crack!:eek:

RevGTO
March 5th, 2007, 01:56 AM
You can insert the WB sensor in place of the NBO2 on your manifold since AVE (AutoVE) tuning is done in open loop.True enough ...

RevGTO
March 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Probably not going to make much perceptable difference btw the two tables. You could cut and paste and compare the two. I was thinking of doing it because I noticed the 02 table is fatter in the mid-range where I tend to get some KR and I think I'm a bit lean. The idea was that maybe I'd get a little more fueling in those cells. But with the MAF calling the tune, would it make much difference anyway?

SSpdDmon
March 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Best bet is to AutoVE it with a WBO2. The heads, intake, injectors and cam are different between the years. So, it probably won't be a straight switch.

RevGTO
March 5th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Well, I'm stalling on doing the AutoVE because I'm waiting till I get LTs, which I'm not going to do until I know if I might be moving back to CA ...
So, with the track opening for test & tune this weekend, I thought I might play with the VE tables to see if there might be any differences.

Doc
March 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
You'll be shooting in the dark without instrumentation. Is this an auto or M6? Without the WB I think you could actually make more progress experimenting with shift points (if an auto), or manual shifts. Since you won't be able to quantify your results, you could actually stand a better chance hurting your times. Why not just make up a stand alone WB that you can take in and out of the car for the time being. Good luck at the track nonetheless.

RevGTO
March 6th, 2007, 02:05 AM
It's an A4. I've done extensive tranny tuning, so that's in good shape. Like I said, I was interested in whether the 02 VE might give me a little more fueling in the range where I tend to get KR. I can reflash right there and compare back to back - a quick and easy type of thing.

But the first thing I'll check will be how the 02 spark table currently in the PCM will affect it. It's less aggressive than the 00 table in a lot of cells.

SSpdDmon
March 6th, 2007, 02:48 AM
If you have an '02 spark table in an '00 car, it's going to be way too low for timing. The '00 table is the most aggressive of all the years I believe. Dropping 1 or 2 degrees out in problem areas might be your best bet. But first, answer me a few questions if you don't mind.

1: Where are you seeing KR?

2: What do your fuel trims look like?

3: What do your NBO2's read (mV) at WOT if you don't have access to a WBO2?

4: What mods have you done to your car?

RevGTO
March 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Yes, I noticed that the O2 table drops a lot of timing compared to the 00. I didn't copy it over when I converted to the 02 OS. In answer to your questions:

1. KR usually spikes -4* right after shifts at 4300-4600rpm and gradually declines after that. I might happen on the 1-2 or the 2-3 or both. Mixing in some Toluene in my last few runs helps.
2. Fuel trims average zero or close. Typical range is +/-4.5.
3. mV range is .870-.830 for ECT's of 195-211.
4. Mods are CAI, Lid, Ported TB, Catback; 3.42 gears; 3000 stall, shift kit and tranny tuning; 02 OS

SSpdDmon
March 7th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Yes, I noticed that the O2 table drops a lot of timing compared to the 00. I didn't copy it over when I converted to the 02 OS. In answer to your questions:

1. KR usually spikes -4* right after shifts at 4300-4600rpm and gradually declines after that. I might happen on the 1-2 or the 2-3 or both. Mixing in some Toluene in my last few runs helps.
2. Fuel trims average zero or close. Typical range is +/-4.5.
3. mV range is .870-.830 for ECT's of 195-211.
4. Mods are CAI, Lid, Ported TB, Catback; 3.42 gears; 3000 stall, shift kit and tranny tuning; 02 OS
Well, the KR you're seeing is probably due to the motor being lean. As suggested above, I would swap the LM-1 into the B1S1 location in the manifold and force the car into open loop. Then, tune the VE is SD, re-enable the MAF, and tune that. If you still see KR in those problematic areas, I would consider dropping the PE TP% enabler a little (if you're seeing issues in closed-loop) or dropping timing a little at a time to see if it goes away.