PDA

View Full Version : Question about transmission and multiple tunes...

SSonnentag
March 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I can't seem to know the right search terms to find the answer to my question.

When the 5-tune switch feature becomes available for the LBZ (notice I said when, not if ;) ) will it maintain separate shift table info for each tune? For example, if I'm running a 500 hp tune for a few months and then go back to stock to tow a heavy load, will my shifts be slamming between gears until the transmission learns all over again or will the tables be swapped out for the lower pressure shifts needed for the stock tune?

Thanks,
Shawn

GMPX
March 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Shawn, with any switched tune you would need the do the normal procedure of resetting the TAPS on the TCM before doing any hard driving, these TCM's are a little too smart for themselves to allow instant personality changes.

Cheers,
Ross

SSonnentag
March 8th, 2007, 12:23 AM
OK, so help me out with some of the basics:

Is the TCM a part of the engine or the transmission? Where is it physically located?

...just trying to understand my truck a little better.

Thanks

ScarabEpic22
March 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM
TCM is Transmission Control Module, it is the computer for the trans. Regulates all of the trans related stuff, look at your tune under the Transmission section to see what the TCM does (unless it is a completely seperate module like the LS2s and need a different file).

lakingslayer
March 9th, 2007, 02:29 AM
The Duramax has a seperate TCM.

ScarabEpic22
March 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
The Duramax has a seperate TCM.
Thought so, thanks for the confirmation.:D

GMC-2002-Dmax
March 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM
The current BETA LB7/LLY DSP5 OS has seperate tables to allow the shift defuel and TQ reduction to be tune specific.

If Ross and Paul decide to build a LBZ custom OS with switchable tunes then we''ll have to see what they come up with, until then we can only hope.........:D