PDA

View Full Version : Why only 96k ?

AGRO
March 17th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, curiosity has the better of me, why do we only see 96k of the PCM ? Are there other hidden tables that need to be calibrated as well, one would assume you that you would need to ? It makes me wander if there is more hidden power in these LS1 powered cars ??

Tordne
March 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM
96k is the size of the data area. The PCM is a 512Kb block of memory which primarily consists of the actual code required to operate the vehicle. The 96kb you refer to is all the table data which we can change :)

Biggsy
March 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM
96k is the size of the data area. The PCM is a 512Kb block of memory which primarily consists of the actual code required to operate the vehicle. The 96kb you refer to is all the table data which we can change :)

There are other things in the data that could be changed but EFILIVE doesn't give you access to it. However, nothing that I can think of that will benefit you if you did have access to it (not to give you more power anyway;) )

Tordne
March 17th, 2007, 06:06 PM
You're correct, there are tables that are not presented to users in the calibration. Some tables are just plain to dangerous to allow people to change!

ringram
March 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM
You can think of it like the windows operating system.
You can tweak the settings for the desktop, folders etc, but you cant mess with the basic executables etc.

joecar
March 18th, 2007, 03:31 AM
He he... if it's linux you can rewrite the whole kernel... :D

dfe1
March 18th, 2007, 04:16 AM

You're sick. Very, very sick.

ScarabEpic22
March 18th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Thats a good comparison btw windows OS and a ECM/PCM, it is dangerous to mess with the system files of the OS b/c it might not boot when you restart it (just ask me how I know, good old win95 pc...).

Chevy366
March 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
:anitoof: