PDA

View Full Version : Stream purchase for DMax and do I get trans too?

N0DIH
March 20th, 2007, 04:17 PM
forgive if this is the wrong place:

If I purchase the LB7 Duramax Diesel ECM - Stream S-LB7. LBZ Duramax Diesel ECM - Stream S-LBZ and LLY Duramax Diesel ECM - Stream S-LLY, do I get the capability of tuning the transmissions also, or are they divorced so I have to pay for the trans streams separately?

Thanks!

Tordne
March 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM
There is actually an additional stream 'S-ALLA' specifically for the Allison transmission used in the LB7/LLY Duramax vehicles. So you'd need to purchase this to get unlimited transmission tuning.

GMPX
March 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM
For the full unlimited Duramax suite LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM (LBZ & LMM are combined) plus both Allison TCM types (the new 6spd one is not done yet, expect in a month or two), it would be just over $7,000. That covers both trucks and vans and 8.1L gas TCM from 2001 - 2007+.
The price also includes unlimited use of the DSP2, DSP5 custom O.S's for the LB7 & LLY and any future custom O.S's we might develop.
When pricing, just remember you get discounts based on the number of streams you purchase.

Remember the Duramax is also used in many commercial chassis (such as some of these - http://www.workhorse.com/ ), we don't try to separate them from the vans or trucks, so you get enormous vehicle coverage for your money.

Cheers,
Ross

N0DIH
March 21st, 2007, 01:04 AM
I hate to say it, that REALLY tips the balance of cost towards HPTuners.

My cost comparison was for support for all LS1, LS2, and DMax. And when comparing with HPTuners to EFILive making the assuming that all the trans functions were included in the DMax engine stream, the costs were right on top of each other. Finding this out REALLY skews the costs badly in favor of HPTuners.

I am trying hard to make a decision about buying this and it is harder every day I find out something like this.

N0DIH
March 21st, 2007, 04:35 AM
Oh, and does V1 Workshop do all the trans tuning of the oil burners that it can tune?

Black02SS
March 21st, 2007, 05:21 AM
The way I figure it up is you would be over 10k with HPT to do all the vehicles that you can do with EFIlive.

N0DIH
March 21st, 2007, 05:34 AM
But if EFILive yanks all the transmissions out of everything and makes you pay for that separately, HPT is much cheaper.

Which streams have trans included and which do not?

If I buy the LS2A stream, do I get to tune the trans? Or do I have to buy the $1250 stream to go with? Making it $4K just to tune LS2's? That pushes EFILive waay over the edge on costs. Why on earth would anyone pull the trans out of the engine stream?

It is like buying a car without the capability of turning on the headlights.... That is extra cost to license the headlights....

Black02SS
March 21st, 2007, 07:02 AM
Here is a breakdown of pricing for both platforms.

EFILive - $12,526.60

HPT - $11038.96

Cost difference of $1487.64 With that I don't know if HPT includes free custom OS's with that pricing. This factors in both companies offering the combined stream/credit discounts.

kbracing96
March 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM
All of HPT custom OS's (SD,2-3bar, RTT, etc.) require the use of extra credits. But you can buy unlimited use for each platform of custom OS.

And they don't support LBZ/LMM Duramaxs yet either.

N0DIH
March 21st, 2007, 09:36 AM
I come up with:

97-98 LS1 Free
99-04 LS1 but what happens with the 05-07 LS1's? $2,495
05-06 LS2(E40)-PCM only meaning you can't tune the tranny $2,495
06-07 LS2/LS7(E38)-PCM only meaning you can't tune the tranny $2,495
LB7 Duramax-PCM only meaning you can't tune the tranny $1,995
LLY Duramax-PCM only meaning you can't Tune the tranny $1,995
LBZ/LLM Duramax-PCM only meaning you can't tune the tranny $1,995
Allison LB7/LLY tranny controller $1,249
Allison LBZ tranny controller $1,249
S-T42 transmission in LS2's $1,249
S-T43 A6 transmission in vettes & such $1,249
V2 hardware $749
total with 20% discount on streams $15,122.80

How did you get $12K? Does EFILive offer a quote on this? With this sort of $$ I am thinking that is the only way to go with it. Have each company submit me a bid for the product as I need it.

What I want is LS1, LS2, DMax, and all trans is expected. This is what I can use to compare to HPT. I will expect thier price to also include all Custom OS.

N0DIH
March 21st, 2007, 09:37 AM
And if I get V1 WS instead (I have a line on that and permission). Does it include all above except LS2? Including all trans?

kbracing96
March 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
And if I get V1 WS instead (I have a line on that and permission). Does it include all above except LS2? Including all trans?
I may be wrong, but I believe the V1 workshop is no longer available, only V1 commercial. V1 is being fazed out for V2.

GMPX
March 21st, 2007, 04:00 PM
I come up with:

97-98 LS1 Free

Sorry, web page mistake, it does include any vehicle up to 07 using that same PCM type.

What I want is LS1, LS2, DMax, and all trans is expected. This is what I can use to compare to HPT. I will expect thier price to also include all Custom OS.

A couple of points.
If you want all Dmax, then you can't with HPTuners.
You need to also look at the unlimited credits thing with them, it is not available on some vehicle / PCM types, you will be paying for every vehicle you tune.
Check on the HPT custom O.S inclusions, unless things have changed they are additional and I stand corrected if they have.

By using seperate TCM / ECM licensing it spreads the coverage out as we can support any vehicle that uses the T42 TCM, doesn't matter if we don't support the ECM.

V1 has no CAN ability, so it does not suit.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
March 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
Hardware:
V2 FlashScan Scan and Tune base package $749Stream Licenses:
LS1A Free
LS1B $2495
LS2A $2495
LS2B $2495
T42 $1249
T43 $1249
LB7 $1995
LLY $1995
LBZ $1995
ALLA $1249
ALLB $1249Cost: $19,215

With the 20% discount for 5 or more streams:
Final cost: $15,372
That is list price, you may be able to find a reseller who can do a better price than that.

That price covers unlimited tuning for every single vehicle that uses any of the controllers supported by any of the vehicles on that list. EFILive does not artificially restrict you to tuning a subset of vehicles based on year, engine or body type. If you buy a stream, you can program any vehicle that uses the same controller in that stream.

That price also includes free and unlimited access to tune unlimited vehicles with any of our custom operating systems, DSP2 switchable tunes, TNT Turn 'N' Tune, and DSP5.

It also gives you unlimited licensing for use of AutoCal devices once they are released. You can pre-program your own tunes into AutoCal units and send tunes to customers that way insterad of mailing PCMs around the country.

Another option that you may not have considered is that you could start with say 5 of the more popular streams and purchase VIN licenses only when you need them for the other streams. Each VIN license that you purchase can be used as a discount on additional stream purchases in the future. The VIN license discount is the lesser of:
1. $79.20 times the number of VINs that you have purchased
or
2. 50% of the stream price.

So, if you purchased 15 VINs (cost $1,485) over the course of say, 2 or 3 months, then you could get claim a discount of 15*$79.20=$1,188 on the LS2B stream. That means you could purchase the LS2B stream for $2495-$1188=$1,307

The total you would have spent on the LS2B stream would have been $1,485+$1,307=$2,792 which is slightly higher than the original price but your original expenditure would have been much less.

Many workshop customers start out with the low cost, low risk VIN licensing option.

Regards
Paul

I come up with:

97-98 LS1 Free
05-06 LS2(E40)-PCM only meaning you can't tune the tranny $2,495
06-07 LS2/LS7(E38)-PCM only meaning you can't tune the tranny $2,495
LB7 Duramax-PCM only meaning you can't tune the tranny $1,995
LLY Duramax-PCM only meaning you can't Tune the tranny $1,995
LBZ/LLM Duramax-PCM only meaning you can't tune the tranny $1,995
Allison LB7/LLY tranny controller $1,249
Allison LBZ tranny controller $1,249
S-T42 transmission in LS2's $1,249
S-T43 A6 transmission in vettes & such $1,249
V2 hardware $749
total with 20% discount on streams $15,122.80

How did you get $12K? Does EFILive offer a quote on this? With this sort of $$ I am thinking that is the only way to go with it. Have each company submit me a bid for the product as I need it.

Blacky
March 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM
But if EFILive yanks all the transmissions out of everything and makes you pay for that separately, HPT is much cheaper.

Which streams have trans included and which do not?

If I buy the LS2A stream, do I get to tune the trans? Or do I have to buy the $1250 stream to go with? Making it $4K just to tune LS2's? That pushes EFILive waay over the edge on costs. Why on earth would anyone pull the trans out of the engine stream?

It is like buying a car without the capability of turning on the headlights.... That is extra cost to license the headlights....
EFILive's licensing is based around the cotrollers in vehicles, not the vehicles themselves. Some vehicles that have two controllers, an ECM and a TCM, and those controllers are licensed seperately. It allows you to mix and match what you want to purchase.

For example, some workshops only work on gas trucks. However some gas trucks may have an Allison trans in them. A Combined LS1B/T42/T43 stream would not work on those trucks. We could sell a whole set of various combinations of engine/trans streams but we thought it would be easier if the customer purchases only those streams that he/she needs.

The prices we have placed on the streams represent the R&D effort that went into creating the stream. Some streams are easier than others and therefor their prices are different.

We believe our prices are fair and reasonable for the extremely high quality of the EFILive product. I don't believe you can find a higher quality tuning tool (except when our next software version comes out). In the end you do get what you pay for, our prices may be higher than some others, that's just the price you pay for a quality product.

Regards
Paul

N0DIH
March 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM
One of the questions I have:

If I have the V1 FlashScan Workshop, I can do the LLY and LB7 DMax. Can it do transmission of that truck? The website doesn't say either way, but you are left to assume that you can.

Now, lets say I buy V2 FlashScan and the LLY and LB7 stream. I can no longer do transmissions , but I can do the engine of the LLY and LB7.

Correct?

Blacky
March 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM

If I have the V1 FlashScan Workshop, I can do the LLY and LB7 DMax. Can it do transmission of that truck? The website doesn't say either way, but you are left to assume that you can.

Now, lets say I buy V2 FlashScan and the LLY and LB7 stream. I can no longer do transmissions , but I can do the engine of the LLY and LB7.

Correct?

Yes, you get unlimited Allison tuning if upgrading from V1 Workshop.
The V1-V2 workshop upgrade to V2 includes the following streams:

LS1-A
LS1-B
LS2-A
T42
LB7
LLY
ALL-A
LL8

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM

The V1 can scan and tune Allison transmissions.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM

Correct?

Well, you would never buy a V2 if you had the V1 workshop, you would upgrade. But assuming you did buy V2, then if you purchased the LB7, LLY streams you could do the engines but not the transmissions.

You have two options:

1. Buy VIN licenses for each trans that you want to tune. You get an added bonus, because each VIN license can tune an engine AND trans, you could use the engine part of the VIN license to tune *any* engine (gas or diesel) for which you do not have a stream license.

or

2. Buy the Allison stream.

Regards
Paul

GMPX
March 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM

You may not have seen this page - http://www.efilive.com/supvehicle.aspx

There is a tick or cross for each vehicle type references to each interface type (V1 or V2). V2 will do any stream, V1 is limited.
From a Diesel perspective, V1 will do LB7, LLY ECM & TCM, but not the ECM or TCM on LBZ/LMM. V2 will do all of them.

Cheers,
Ross

N0DIH
March 22nd, 2007, 01:49 AM
Actually that page is the source of the confusion in comparison to the demo.

The demo tunes I have seen don't have transmission functions in them. So I wasn't sure if the PROGRAM had that missing without the proper stream, or are all functions included in the program (which doesn't explain why they are missing in the DMax tune I looked at)?

So it seems V1 WS is a better deal as it includes the trans functions of the trucks it can communicate with.

ScarabEpic22
March 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
What demo tunes are you looking at? I know the 06 TB SS LS2 does not have the TCM part (uses the T42) but the 04 TB I6 LL8 does have the trans part. Have you looked at the LL8 tune? Guarantee you all have the transmission component as thats the only way they come. Uses the standard 4L60E, so play around if you want.

PlumCrazyCustoms
March 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM
For the full unlimited Duramax suite LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM (LBZ & LMM are combined) plus both Allison TCM types (the new 6spd one is not done yet, expect in a month or two), it would be just over $7,000. That covers both trucks and vans and 8.1L gas TCM from 2001 - 2007+.
The price also includes unlimited use of the DSP2, DSP5 custom O.S's for the LB7 & LLY and any future custom O.S's we might develop.
When pricing, just remember you get discounts based on the number of streams you purchase.

Remember the Duramax is also used in many commercial chassis (such as some of these - http://www.workhorse.com/ ), we don't try to separate them from the vans or trucks, so you get enormous vehicle coverage for your money.

Cheers,
Ross

Wish I knew this before paying 6000 for only three streams...

Tordne
March 26th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Which streams did you purchase? Can you send your serial number and Auth Code (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110&Itemid=120) to me at support@efilive.com?