PDA

View Full Version : Problems! Car won't start!!

CRU SS N
March 24th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I decided to remove skip shift today on my 2002 Z06. I read the PCM and the read went to 4kb and stopped so I hit stop and tried again and it worked so I disabled skip shift and registered my pcm. I reflashed the pcm with the changed tune and that went perfect and I went to start it and it just cranked. I realised that the fuel pump relay was turning on and off rapidly and there were all sorts of warnings on the driver information center. I tried to reconnect and put the original tune in it, but it wouldn't connect no matter what I did, I couldn't even scan. I tried pulling the battery cable for about 10-15 minutes and that didn't help. I'm lost and want to drive my new car so bad. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Blacky
March 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Does the orange led on flashscan flash constantly about 4 times per second? If so then the PCM is in dead-poll. You'll need to reflash back in your stock file and start again. If that is the case, can you send me the original file and the file that you flashed in so I can compare them please. (paul@efilive.com)

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 24th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Just out of interest, did you perform a calibration only flash or a full flash?

Regards
Paul

Tordne
March 24th, 2007, 04:38 PM
What sort of information was being presented to you?

Sounds electrical - is there any ather device that is possibly communicating on the data bus?

GMPX
March 24th, 2007, 04:56 PM
If you want, send the tun you flashed in to ross at efilive dot com and I'll program it into a PCM here and see if I get the same issue.

Cheers,
Ross

CRU SS N
March 25th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I believe that the orange light is flashing rapidly like you are refering to. My question is how do I put the stock file back in now that I cannot connect to the PCM since I get the can't communicate type message every time I try to reflash or scan the PCM. I already tried to reflash the stock tune and it couldn't connect then too.

CRU SS N
March 25th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Another weird thing I noticed is that the tune files were around 470kb in size, but I thaught they would be at least 512kb. Is that a problem?

I was reading another post and realised this could be the problem. I did set the pulses per mile up to max (255???) to be funny when my brother drove it next, but I don't know if this could have caused the issue. The post I read the guy set it to 0 and had the problem.

Also I was only doing a partial reflash as far as I know since I do not have the pro edition. I would be glad to upgrade as long as it fixes the problem by reflashing everything with a stock tune from an 02 Z06.

I'm not too sure what you are refering to when you are asking about any other devices communicating with the data bus. Is that problem on the PC side or the vehicle side?

Blacky
March 25th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I believe that the orange light is flashing rapidly like you are refering to. My question is how do I put the stock file back in now that I cannot connect to the PCM since I get the can't communicate type message every time I try to reflash or scan the PCM. I already tried to reflash the stock tune and it couldn't connect then too.
The fact that the orange LED is flashing continuously means that the PCM is alive and well and that it just needs to have a valid calibration flashed into it.

Firstly, make sure you are using the latest V7.3.3 software, available here:
http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx

Can you connect to the FlashScan device when no vehicle is present? You can test that by selecting the Tuning Tool menu option: Help->FlashScan V1 PCM licensing. If the FlashScan device details show up then you can connect to FlashScan Ok. If not then there is a problem between the PC and FlashScan.

Open your stock *.tun file and select the calibration-only reflash toolbar icon. Click on the [Status] button and EFILive should inform you that the PCM has no valid calibration and that you may continue with the flash operation.

Clcik the [Start] button to reflash your PCM.

If you get any other error message or EFILive does not reflash your PCM, please locate a matching *.blx file in the folder
\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Bug Reports.
The file you need to find will have the date and time (of the most recent attempt) embedded into the file name like this:
YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_Download.blx
where YYYYMMDD is the year, month and day and HHMMSS is the hour minute and second that you made the most recent attempt.

Please send that file to paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I was reading another post and realised this could be the problem. I did set the pulses per mile up to max (255???) to be funny when my brother drove it next, but I don't know if this could have caused the issue. The post I read the guy set it to 0 and had the problem.

EFILive prvents you from setting the pulses per mile setting below 100 or above about 95% of the maximum to prevent that problem, so you should not have to worry about that - unless you are using a very old version of the software.

Regards
Paul

CRU SS N
March 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I'm downloading the current software, is there anything I need to do special that isn't in the instructions that come with the software? I'll try that and see if that helps out any.

Thanks, Brian

Blacky
March 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I'm downloading the current software, is there anything I need to do special that isn't in the instructions that come with the software? I'll try that and see if that helps out any.

Thanks, Brian

Nothing special. When you start the reflash process, EFILive will detect that the calibration is missing or incomplete and just show you a warning so that you know. Then just continue reflashing the vehicle as you would normally.

Regards
Paul

CRU SS N
March 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I was able to get the laptop to read the data in the cable so they are communicating.

The LED that flashes on the cable when it is connected to the ALDL is the mem LED. Is that the correct one?

I just downloaded version 3.3(haven't been home yet to try it), but I was wondering if it will be able to connect to the PCM because my software now won't connect at all. Does it have an extra feature that version 3 doesn't have that allows communication with a dead-poll pcm?

Thanks a lot, Brian

Blacky
March 26th, 2007, 08:09 AM
The LED that flashes on the cable when it is connected to the ALDL is the mem LED. Is that the correct one?

No, the OBD LED must be flashing to indicate dead-poll.

Regards
Paul

CRU SS N
March 26th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I think that obd led and another green one were flashing when I would turn on the ignition, but not when the ignition was off.

Blacky
March 26th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I think that obd led and another green one were flashing when I would turn on the ignition, but not when the ignition was off.

When a PCM is operating normally and you switch on the iginition, it will send/receive a burst of meesages as it communicates with all the other module sin your vehicle. That will cause the OBD LED to flash randomly for about 10-15 seconds. After that most of the messages will subside and the OBD LED will flash irregularly.

When a PCM is in "dead-poll" mode and you switch on the iginition, the OBD LED will flash a constant 4 flashses per second and only 4 flashes per second.

Regardless, EFILive should be able to reprogram the PCM which ever mode it is in. Can you try connecting up FlashScan to another vehicle and clickint he [Status] button in the PCM Read window? Just to make sure there is nothing wrong with the FlashScan unit itself.

Regards
Paul

CRU SS N
March 26th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Ok, I'll try that when I get home from work. I was also wondering if I can reflash my 99 f-body pcm with the 2002 z06 operating system and use that computer to get the vette going. I would need to buy the upgrade to commercial then though.

Also I want to think the obd LED kept on flashing very fast the whole time the ignition was on

Blacky
March 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I was also wondering if I can reflash my 99 f-body pcm with the 2002 z06 operating system and use that computer to get the vette going. I would need to buy the upgrade to commercial then though.

Yes, you can. As you said, you;d need the Commercial version, which is a $50 upgrade available here:
http://www.efilive.com/c-19-efilive-flashscan-personal.aspx

But, I still think you will be able to recover the other PCM.

Regards
Paul

CRU SS N
March 26th, 2007, 09:07 AM
When I do click on the status button in the pcm read window what am I looking for?

I don't know if it tells you that the flashscan is OK since it retrieved the data about the 2 vins in the flashscan.

Also I want to think the obd LED kept on flashing very fast the whole time the ignition was on if that tells us anything

Blacky
March 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM
See images:

The first one shows what you should see after clicking on the [Status] button when a healthy PCM is connected.

The second one shows what happens if you disconnect the cables while re-flashing the PCM.

The third ones shows what you should see after clicking on the [Status] button when a "dead-poll" PCM is connected.

Regards
Paul

CRU SS N
March 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM
When I do all that it still tries to act like it can't connect to the vehicle

Blacky
March 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Can you try connecting to any other supported vehicle?
It may be a fault with the FlashScan interface.

Regards
Paul

CRU SS N
March 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hi, I tried my camaro and it connected on the first try. I have all the new software in it now and it still doesn't want to connect to the vette. It connected on the first try to the camaro. What else can I do?

Blacky
March 26th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hi, I tried my camaro and it connected on the first try. I have all the new software in it now and it still doesn't want to connect to the vette. It connected on the first try to the camaro. What else can I do?

Check your cigarette lighter fuse. That fuse also powers the OBDII connector.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Worst case scenario would be to remove the PCM and program it via a bench harness. Just in case something else has failed in the vehicle and is preventing the PCM from communicating with FlashScan.

A bench harness wiring diagram can be found here:
http://download.efilive.com/tutorials/PDF/Bench%20Harness%20Tutorial.pdf

Regards
Paul

CRU SS N
March 26th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I do have power at the cigrette lighter.

I think i'll put the vette pcm in the camaro and see if I can flash it in there.

CRU SS N
March 28th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks to blacky for getting my vette running again! After swapping the new PCM in there I noticed that the mileage per gallon on the driver information center was only about 23-24 when it is normally 30-31. Is this normally a little low after a PCM swap? I haven't performed the case relearn yet. Thanks, Brian

wait4me
March 28th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Hi, the pcm is probably just relearning itself. Give it a week to get itself back in line. The averages will go back to normal soon. If not send me some logs and i will look at the tune. You have my number still if you have any more questions. It was nice talking to you last night.

CRU SS N
March 28th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Ok, great. I appreciate all of your help! I sent the Z06 computer to you yesterday. I hope you are able to get it all straightened out.
Thanks again, Brian