PDA

View Full Version : Which wideband O2?

hquick
March 29th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I've been searching the forums but can't find anything specific.
I need to buy a wideband O2 sensor/setup but am unsure of which brand/type to get.
Can anyone recommend one?
Thanks

Howard

SSpdDmon
March 29th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Innovate Motorsports LM1

Rhino79
March 29th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I love my PLX!

5.7ute
March 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I bought the LM-1 as I wanted a unit to swap between different cars. If you are only doing the single vehicle you could go for the LC-1. Both are available from members on this forum.

hquick
March 29th, 2007, 04:48 PM
That's some of the info I was after.
Which are applicable to be used on multiple vehicles.
What are the pro's and con's of each type/brand?

Black02SS
March 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM
The LM-1 is my choice for wideband to use when switching between vehicles. Pro's - Easy to move, Easy to setup (3 wires), Inexpensive sensors
Con's - Display box is kind of large, if the vehicles cigarette lighters don't work your screwed. LOL

Honestly, the only disadvantage I can see with a LM-1 is the display box. It isn't that large, but not easily hidden.

hquick
March 29th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I was thinking PLX but not sure.
I noticed it's supported by EFILive as is the Innovative.
I know nothing about wideband O2 sensors except that I NEED one.
Thanks for the help guys.

Bruce Melton
March 29th, 2007, 11:50 PM
PLX is truly plug and play-no calibration ever!

RonC
March 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I have a PLX-300 w/digital display that I have used in my truck almost every day for over a year with no problems and it always has worked with no calibration hassles. It still has the orginal O2 sensor. It is a small unit and I plug it in to cig lighter outlet so I can also use it on other vehicles for VE tuning. I can recommend it based on my experience with it.

N0DIH
March 30th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Don't get slightly bit like I did. I jumped on a sensor a friend of mine showed me on eBay and it is one for a AEM controller (not cheap!). $65 to the door at least. But the connector is wrong for IM LC1/LM1.

The AEM controller is pretty nice, but I haven't really compared it to the LM1 to see how they stack up.

Anyone know?

limited cv8r
March 30th, 2007, 11:22 PM
you could als o look at "tech edge". they are in Aus, offer a variety of options and are supported by EFILive.

hquick
March 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks cv8r.
I looked into it..they look like good units.
OK, now where to buy from?
Any recommendations?
The worst thing about buying anything is that afterwards, heaps of people say "why didn't you ask first?". :bash:
So, now I'm asking.....:nixweiss:

limited cv8r
April 1st, 2007, 12:04 AM
you buy them online from the tech edge website, you just choose a model and what type of sensor ,cable length,display unit etc. there are also a couple of downloads as well including logging software,calibration and firmware. I've been using a 2CO for a fair while now with no problems, but it all comes down to personal choice.

hquick
April 1st, 2007, 12:13 AM
Yeah thanks,
I've decided to go with the PLX though.

Wasted Income
May 3rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Would this work for autoVE tuning?

http://www.plxdevices.com/products/sm/afr/

hquick
May 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Sure will!
This is the one I'm using...same thing except I got the guage.

http://www.plxdevices.com/products/dm5/afrsmcombo/

Seeing as alot of guages alone seem to be around the $200 mark. This is a pretty good deal.
It's deceptive...the little red box is smaller than a cigarette pack.

joecar
May 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Yes it will (and it provides both wideband and narrowband analog signals).

:cheers:

Wasted Income
May 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16168&cat=262&page=1

Or would this work if I bought my own sensor? Would this be good for easily swapping between vehicles for AutoVE tuning??

Wasted Income
May 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Yes it will (and it provides both wideband and narrowband analog signals).

:cheers:

Cool, thanks for the quick replies, gentlemen. :rockon:

So, what is the advantage of the narrowband capability? Does that mean that I could use the sensor as one of my regular sensors for the ECM to monitor when I'm not tuning? That would be sweet!
Thanks!
-Jeff

joecar
May 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16168&cat=262&page=1

Or would this work if I bought my own sensor? Would this be good for easily swapping between vehicles for AutoVE tuning??Some people have no trouble with this one, others have a lot of trouble. Even with the sensor, this one is probably the cheapest, and it is the most compact; it's very good if you don't have any trouble with it.

joecar
May 3rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Cool, thanks for the quick replies, gentlemen. :rockon:

So, what is the advantage of the narrowband capability? Does that mean that I could use the sensor as one of my regular sensors for the ECM to monitor when I'm not tuning? That would be sweet!
Thanks!
-JeffJeff, yes that is correct. :cheers: You install it in place of your NBO2, no drilling required.

Wasted Income
May 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Some people have no trouble with this one, others have a lot of trouble. Even with the sensor, this one is probably the cheapest, and it is the most compact; it's very good if you don't have any trouble with it.

So you'd suggest the PLX over the Innovative? I think that's the way I'm leaning right now. Hmmmmmm...

Thanks for the help!! :wave: :cheers:

joecar
May 3rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
The Innovate is good (and is compact, fits in tight places); but it's more suited to the DIY troubleshooter.

I have been running an Innovate and have had no problems, but I am good at connections and grounding.

There are statistics posted on ls1tech.com which show the Innovate LC-1 having a high percentage of problems.

The PLX is nicer made, is more "modular" and seems to have less trouble reported (if any).

Wasted Income
May 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Perfect, thank you!!

hquick
May 3rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
I went through the exact same anxieties as you are!
Which one, value for money etc....
I went for the PLX above and an very happy with it. Good price, great little unit.
If you want to make it transportable...buy a small PVC box from an electrical wholesaler, mount it all in there.
Get the unit with the guage, you can mount that on the front of it.
Run your WBO2 cable out through the door, window etc....power the unit from the cigarette lighter.
I only own one tunable, GM vehicle. I don't intend making mine mobile.
The pic's are how I've temp installed the unit.
I don't want to cut holes in the body of my truck nd there is nowhereI can get through into the cab either underneath or through the firewall so I ran through the wiring boot between the door and kick panel.
Scantool box and cig lighter plug both reside in that holder thingy under the cup holders.

I even used the packing to mount the guage. I'm making a pod to hold all 4 of my guages!

ScarabEpic22
May 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Hmm, I might have to get me a WBO2 here soon, and since the I6 has one exhaust manifold, and the pre-cat NBO2 is right on the manifold, swapping for a WBO2 wouldnt take more than like 15-20min, cable routing and whatnot would take longer though.

ThirdGenLS1
May 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
i was actully looking at getting the NTK AFX wideband, what you guys think of it.

Justin