PDA

View Full Version : Spark tuning in real time....

Redline Motorsports
April 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
We'll I finally got a chance to play with our RR unit today. What a slick unit! :cheers:

I wanted to check out the spark control and noticed that while looking at the spark tables that there wasn't a grey box showing the actual cell. Now that I am typing this I think I just realized that if you use the pids outlined in the AutoVE tutorial, none of them are the pids to log load as is indicated in that spark tables.......

I guess if I selected a calculated load parameter, non direct MAF, that I should have been able to also play with spark in real time. Did I answer my own question?

Howard

Black02SS
April 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Sounds like you might need some counseling if you keep talking to yourself. :lol:

Cablebandit
April 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
id like to know this as well.

Black02SS
April 8th, 2007, 12:31 AM
You will need to setup a BEN factor for the timing or equivelant. Then you will need to take the correct PID and adjust the link.txt file to show the correct PID placement.

dc_justin
April 8th, 2007, 04:07 AM
We'll I finally got a chance to play with our RR unit today. What a slick unit! :cheers:

I wanted to check out the spark control and noticed that while looking at the spark tables that there wasn't a grey box showing the actual cell. Now that I am typing this I think I just realized that if you use the pids outlined in the AutoVE tutorial, none of them are the pids to log load as is indicated in that spark tables.......

I guess if I selected a calculated load parameter, non direct MAF, that I should have been able to also play with spark in real time. Did I answer my own question?

Howard

Hi Howard,

If you're logging GM.DYNCYLAIR and RPM, it should track the cells in realtime. :cheers:

If you haven't done it yet, I would highly recommend downloading the latest firmware for the RoadRunner. It resolves a glitch that will occur from time to time when using RTACS that causes the PCM to hiccup. Can be startling at full load!

Justin

Redline Motorsports
April 8th, 2007, 08:48 AM
That was the answer I was looking for. I was so consumed with the VE table and using the AutoVE pids I forgot to enable a calculated load pid.

Chad, elaborate on the BEN for timing.:bash:

DC, where do I get the latest firmware for RR?

Thanks

dc_justin
April 8th, 2007, 09:00 AM
That was the answer I was looking for. I was so consumed with the VE table and using the AutoVE pids I forgot to enable a calculated load pid.

Chad, elaborate on the BEN for timing.:bash:

DC, where do I get the latest firmware for RR?

Thanks

Latest firmware can be downloaded here: www.moates.net/zips/firmware/ (http://www.moates.net/zips/firmware/)

BEN for timing...Can't be done yet... unless you want to use the spark scaler... but that would be akin to tuning timing based on the knock sensors...

Once there is some sort of dyno integration with flashscan, then you may be in a better position. :)

Redline Motorsports
April 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the link. I assume I can still add timing in RT while keeping a load on the car.

Another RR question I have is; if you are manually changing values in a cell is there a way to arrow up or down to change the values or do you have to type in the exact value and hit enter every time?

I agree that torque feedback from the dyno would be required to accurately calculate peak cylinder pressure.

MCG
April 10th, 2007, 02:24 PM
The best way that I've found to tune in a spark table is with a load dyno and a 5 gas analyzer. Between the two, you can dial it in nicely.

Blacky
April 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Another RR question I have is; if you are manually changing values in a cell is there a way to arrow up or down to change the values or do you have to type in the exact value and hit enter every time?
F8 = up 1.0
F7 = down 1.0

Ctrl+F8 = up 0.1
Ctrl+F7 = down 0.1

Ctrl++ = up by currently selected/displayed precision
Ctrl+- = down by currently selected/displayed precision

Those hotkeys work in ALL tables and parameters. It also changes ALL selected cells when multiple cells are selected.

And if you turn on blending (Ctrl+L for linear and Ctrl+Q for quadratic), then the surrounding cells are blended (pulled up/down) with the changes you make using the hotkeys. Turn off blending with Ctrl+B. Use the toolbar to adjust the size and shape of the blend area.

Regards
Paul

Redline Motorsports
April 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Nice! Short cuts! Now I just need to remember them in the morning!

Thanks Paul!

ringram
April 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM
During my last dyno session I discovered 0.1 increments on spark near to useless. 1.0 worked much better.
As mentioned use the track cell feature to lock the active cell to the changing cell. Id also go for the area blending as Paul mentioned too. As doing it a cell at a time gets tedious real fast.

Redline Motorsports
April 11th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Ring,

How do you use the cell track function? What does it do, keeps the curser in the cell that is in use? That would be awesome as I was doing some "manual" cell adjustments and would have been nice to be able to not have to find the cells.

Wish these was a cheat sheet for RR!

Howard

Blacky
April 11th, 2007, 12:45 PM
See attached image. Hotkey = Ctrl+K

Note: when you click either of the RTACS toolbar buttons (just to the right) the cell tracking button is also automatically checked.
You can't uncheck it while RTACS is active - that would defeat the purpose of RTACS.

But when RTACS is not active you can turn cell tracking on/off as required.

Regards
Paul

Highlander
April 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Sounds like you might need some counseling if you keep talking to yourself. :lol:
Why can't you talk to yourself?

Highlander
April 18th, 2007, 03:18 AM
F8 = up 1.0
F7 = down 1.0

Ctrl+F8 = up 0.1
Ctrl+F7 = down 0.1

Ctrl++ = up by currently selected/displayed precision
Ctrl+- = down by currently selected/displayed precision

Those hotkeys work in ALL tables and parameters. It also changes ALL selected cells when multiple cells are selected.

And if you turn on blending (Ctrl+L for linear and Ctrl+Q for quadratic), then the surrounding cells are blended (pulled up/down) with the changes you make using the hotkeys. Turn off blending with Ctrl+B. Use the toolbar to adjust the size and shape of the blend area.

Regards
Paul
Paul.. can you change the ctrl++ hotkey to just + when a cell is selected? and also for -?

ringram
April 18th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Ring,

How do you use the cell track function? What does it do, keeps the curser in the cell that is in use? That would be awesome as I was doing some "manual" cell adjustments and would have been nice to be able to not have to find the cells.

Howard

Yes

Try holding the dyno in one cell under load.. its not easy.
The tracking locks it to the active cell as you say.

Though looking at the dyno readout while changing spark and not knowing what cell its in it still a bit horrible.

Cant wait for full timing rtacs support.

Blacky
April 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Paul.. can you change the ctrl++ hotkey to just + when a cell is selected? and also for -?

It is already what you say,: Ctrl+ and Ctrl-. Its just that when it is written as Ctrl+<somekey>, it looks like Ctrl++ and Ctrl+-

Actually to be completely pedantic, the correct hotkeys are actually:
Ctrl+= and Ctrl+-.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 18th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Or do you mean just "+" and just "-" without any Ctrl?

Maybe in version 8, but using standard keys for hotkeys can cause unintended consequences when typing regular text into other fields. i.e. if you typed a "-" into the User comments field you would instead be decrementing a cell in the table.

Regards
Paul