PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE - problems with 7.4 & SSR

Boost
April 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM
My customer and I have been patiently waiting for version 7.4 so I can adjust the tire size and gears on an '06 SSR. I was delighted when it came out and seemed to work well. I understand that it's new, and there will be bugs, but somebody PLEASE help us straighten out this problem soon:

I adjusted the tire size and gears in the tune, and when I go to write it (license it first of course), it says there is no available VIN slot (I have one available). Is this because I purchased the available slot BEFORE I upgraded to v7.4?
Also, when I pop up the "speedo calculator" and make adjustments, when I close it and re-open it, the adjustments are not there. This happens no matter what I do.

I will try purchasing another license now that I have upgraded. I really hope that someone can help me soon, we were very disappointed that it didn't work, but it's not a big deal, I am sure it will get sorted out. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction. BTW, I have upgraded the firmware, and already had the latest USB update. :help2:

dirt_track_racer_81
April 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
i had the same problem when we downloaded 7.4..it had a bug..

read this http://http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4890

Ninety8C5
April 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Try downloading update 02 from the thread.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4890

Boost
April 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the quick responses ! Those EXACT problems are being addressed in the update. Will update tonight and try the SSR tomorrow.

Boost
April 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM
So far I was not successful at installing version 02 :(
I already had 7.4, but when I went to unzip 02 it I go an error message.
I deleted the whole thing and will re-install right now. From what I understand, first you need to download 01, the "apply" 02. Maybe my version of 7.4 is older that 01, and does not support 02.
Does that make sense?

Boost
April 9th, 2007, 01:13 PM
The instructions say to install 02 into the V7 folder. When I go to unzip it, this is the exact message I get:

EFILive_Tune.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because obdiiV7.dll was not found. Re-installing the application max fix this problem.

So I looked around for this "obdiiV7", and found it in the V7 folder, the same place the 02 zip file was, except that was in an extra folder. I decided to remove it from the extra folder and it overwrote the Tune Tool. Is this going to work? Does it sound normal?

To add to the insanity, I moved the "obdiiV7" into the zip folder for 02 to see if it would allow me to extract. It did. And it turned into the same icon and the same size as the one already outside the folder (2.56 MB Tune Tool). So I am ASSUMING it worked (I successfully applied update 02??)
I went ahead and registered EFILive again, and checked the firmware and USB driver (both ok).

IS THERE ANY WAY TO TELL IF I NOW HAVE A WORKING VERSION OF 02 ?????

I would like to avoid having the customer meet me tomorrow just to fail again. Thanks a lot !

eboggs_jkvl
April 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
the 02 exe needs to go into the program files/v7 folder.

See this thread:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4890

Elmer

Boost
April 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks, that's the thread I was using. And I did put the 02 exe into the
V7 folder.

Boost
April 9th, 2007, 10:00 PM
My Tune Tools says "File version: 7.4.1.621"
Shouldn't it be 7.4.2.621 if I have successfully installed 02?
What should the correct number be?

Also, in this version my speedo calc is still acting the same. When I input tire and gear values and click "Apply", am I done or do I have to jump to "Shift Point Correction" and hit "Adjust" (once) like in the old version?

hquick
April 9th, 2007, 10:19 PM
From what I understand(which is not much btw :) ) you still have to hit adjust.
Did you completely remove your previous version of 7.4 before installing the updated 95mb version?
It all worked fine when I did it.
The only other thing I can think of is as eboggs eluded to...make sure the update goes to C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7 and NOT C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\EFILive\V7.

Boost
April 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I did completely remove everything EFILive related. I re-installed the latest version of 7.4 (01). Then I click on the first of the two 02 links (the second one says MD5 checksum?). It says "Open/Save/Cancel". I hit Save. I send it to Program Files/EFILive/V7. It downloads, I open it, it's in a zipped folder (yellow) and when I open that there is a blue and white rectangle that you're supposed to unzip. It won't let you unless you place it outside in the V7 folder where "obdiiV7" is. Then it turns into the Tune Tool (7.4.1.621).

hquick
April 9th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Mmm...I just saved the file to any place. I have a file I call 'car software'.
I saved it there and then extracted it there. After that I just copied and pasted it to the efilive V7 program file.

Boost
April 10th, 2007, 04:32 AM
hquick, does your 02 work ok? (able to recognize last available VIN license and no flaws in speedo calc).
If so, what does your Tune Tool say (when you leave the cursor on top of it for a few seconds, i.e. 7.4.1.621).
Is there any way to tell if I successfully updated to 02?
I hope one of the gurus here can straighten me out soon. Thanks a lot!

hquick
April 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Hey BOOST,
I just checked by going to 'help', 'about' and it just says

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/hquick/efilivescreenshot.jpg

My speedo calc seems to be working fine.

Blacky
April 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM
After installing the main V7.4 (Update 01) software, the Tuning Tool software version will read: V7.4.1 (build 620). You can read that version number in the Help->About menu from the Tuning Tool software.

After you have downloaded the "Update 02" zip file, the Tuning Tool software version will read: V7.4.1 (build 621). You just need to extract the contents of the zip file into the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V7. The zip file only contains one file: EFILive_Tune.exe and it should replace the existing EFILive_Tune.exe file.

In Windows explorer, you can right click on the EFILive_Tun.exe file and select Properties->Version to see the version number of that file. You can do the same for EFILive_Scan.exe and ObdiiV7.dll as well.

The version numbers you should have, once "Update 01" has been installed:
EFILive_Scan.exe V7.4.1 Build 514
ObdiiV7.dll V7.4.1 build 643
EFILive_Tune.exe build 621

The version numbers you should have, once the "Update 02" has been copied in are:
EFILive_Scan.exe V7.4.1 Build 514
ObdiiV7.dll V7.4.1 build 643
EFILive_Tune.exe build 621

Regards
Paul

Boost
April 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I seem to have 621. I am going to see my customer now. Wish me good luck. And thank you so much for all the help. One day you guys have to come to my house in Miami and we'll drink a lot of beer (and tune!!).

Blacky
April 10th, 2007, 12:31 PM
come to my house in Miami and we'll drink a lot of beer (and tune!!).

Jack or Jim for me :cheers:

Boost
April 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I made some progress! I was able to license and write the SSR, which means that it must be working.

The only thing I need now is instructions for using the speedo calculator. I was unable to make the adjustments. It seems pretty simple, but it's not affecting the car. (Speedo reads almost 10 mph more than actual speed).

I entered the tire size and gear ratio, then hit apply. I saved and wrote the tune to the vehicle. But it's still not woking. What is the proper way to make sure the adjustments kick in for the speedo?

Blacky
April 11th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I made some progress! I was able to license and write the SSR, which means that it must be working.

The only thing I need now is instructions for using the speedo calculator. I was unable to make the adjustments. It seems pretty simple, but it's not affecting the car. (Speedo reads almost 10 mph more than actual speed).

I entered the tire size and gear ratio, then hit apply. I saved and wrote the tune to the vehicle. But it's still not woking. What is the proper way to make sure the adjustments kick in for the speedo?

The speedo adjustments can be complicated by adjustments that may have been made at "other" points in the vehicle's electronic systems. I.e. the speedo in the cluster may have been adjusted at some stage in the past. The easiest way to bring your speedo into line is to use the "Speedo fine tuning" tab page in the speedo calculator.

Regards
Paul

Boost
April 11th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for your response. This particular speedo has never been adjusted in the past. Can you walk me through the process of adjusting it for 4.56 gears and 295/40/20 rear tires? The tranny is stock and it's an '06 SSR with an LS2.

These are the parameters in the "Speedo fine tuning" tab page in the speedo calculator:

-Displayed speed
-Acutal speed
-Correction required
-New VSS pulses per mile
-/km (H0101)

My main problem is that when I enter values in the tabs of the new speedo calculator, it does not hold them, nor apply them to the tune. If I close it and re-open it, it will have the default values, not what I entered. I even tried keeping the window open with my entered values, hit "Apply", save, then write. No change in the speedo. Please help me with this problem. My customer's speedo/odometer displays 20% higher than actual speed/mileage, due to the 4.56 gears. Thanks!

Trippin
April 11th, 2007, 11:07 AM
My Tune Tools says "File version: 7.4.1.621"
Shouldn't it be 7.4.2.621 if I have successfully installed 02?
What should the correct number be?

Also, in this version my speedo calc is still acting the same. When I input tire and gear values and click "Apply", am I done or do I have to jump to "Shift Point Correction" and hit "Adjust" (once) like in the old version?

7.4.1 Build 621 is the latest and greatest. I have had many customers install this patch to cure the last license not being recognized thing and it has worked for them.

Make sure your Firmware is up to date with xxxxx55.ffw

Feel free to give me a call and we can walk through it if you wish.

Blacky
April 11th, 2007, 12:40 PM
The "Speedo fine tuning" option is just an easy way to calculated (and apply) the correction required to adjust your speedo when the speedo does not match the actual speed.

Image 1 shows a Corvette with H0101=30828 pulses/mile.
Image 2 shows the values I have entered into the speedo calculator. In this example, the speedo was showing 120mph (or kmh) but the actual speed as measured by independent equipment (radar, gps etc) indicated the actual speed was only 100mph (or kmh).
Image 3 shows the updated H1010 value of 36994 after clicking the [Apply] button.

The math behind this calculation is simply:
(1+((120-100)/100))*30828 = 36993.6

It effectively decreased the PCM's measured speed by 20% which has the effect of reducing the speedo's needle position by 20%.

This adjustment will also affect shift speeds so you will need to adjust those as well - if you have an automatic trans.

Just for your interest, notice the value H0104 is *very* wrong. Vehicles with manual transmissions ignore H0104 because it is only used to calculate shift speeds. It is rarely calibrated correctly in a factory manual PCM.

Regards
Paul