PDA

View Full Version : Rafig process

Jason S.
April 12th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I have been reading about the idle setup stuff trying to sort out a few issues. I have found numerous threads about using the RAFIG process, but none explaining it. If someone could chime in and give me some direction of what I am looking for I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe we could also make it a sticky.

Thanks

Jason S.
April 14th, 2007, 04:36 AM
ANy input on this? I have the car idleing pretty well right now, but I would like to check this process, and see how close it really is.

Thanks

vatman02
April 14th, 2007, 11:49 AM
i would like to know as well i dont have the RAFIG PID is this a cOS pid i have v7.3

SSpdDmon
April 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM
RAFIG and RAFPN are pids included in the last two or three released versions of EFI Live. They are calculated .pids that work off of other logged .pids:

GM.IAC_LTD_DMA & GM.IAC_STD_DMA for RAFIG

OR

GM.IAC_LTPN_DMA & GM.IAC_STPN_DMA for RAFPN

So, you need to have all 3 .pids in order for your log to work.

In the scanner, you need to build a map to reflect the Desired Idle Airflow table. The data is the RAFIG or RAFPN. The rows are ECT (as seen in the tuning tool). The way I setup the single column is to log RPM. The label I use is ,8000 (yes you need to type the comma).

Log from a cold start until up to operating temps. Paste and add the results to the Desired Idle Airflow table.

A couple of passes will help you get this close. Keep in mind it will vary from day to day, which means it'll never be perfect. Just like the fuel trims, I like the numbers to be slightly negative. Get it close to zero and then add a little more (ie 0.5 grams/second).

That's how I did it.

vatman02
April 15th, 2007, 02:53 AM
thanx for the info SSpdDmon ill download the latest version now i believe i have V7.32 any idea when V7.4 will be ready

Jason S.
April 27th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Logging those parameters, for some reason, it is showing ..33 or .07 all the time? What am I missing here? I attached a log as well.

Bruce Melton
April 27th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Logging those parameters, for some reason, it is showing ..33 or .07 all the time? What am I missing here? I attached a log as well.
You must have the wrong PIDs. I played it and it looked normal.

Jason S.
April 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM
For some reason I can't upload the pid file. I got the PID's from SSpdmon's suggestions in the above post....is something missing?

Thanks

Jason S.
April 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I think I figured it out. What are typical values for a cam/head combo? It is showing 2.25 to 2.5 warmed up...which is a lot higher than the stock cal... Does this sound right? Also, for a manual trans car, do you just leave the values in the park/neutral table Zero?

THanks

Doc
April 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
What value/ units are you using in DesAir?

Jason S.
April 27th, 2007, 11:26 AM
What value/ units are you using in DesAir?

Doh! Grams/sec... That's my problem...

Jason S.
May 1st, 2007, 03:42 AM
o.k. I have been making a lot of progress...however I am to the point now where it keeps telling me to add .5 at each temp. I have added .5 3 times, and every log tells me to add .5 again. Any thoughts?

The other issues are a high start up like around 1800rpm , it comes right back down, but I would like to fix this. Also a fast rolling idle of around 1200rpm, that doesn't drop until I get below my 15mph set point. Weird thing is, it doesn't always do it, just after a long time at constant speed.

Any help is appreciated... thanks!

Jason.

Jason S.
May 2nd, 2007, 03:16 AM
No thoughts???? I have been through every table and parameter, and can't see anything that is obvious. ANyone?

Doc
May 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
o.k. I have been making a lot of progress...however I am to the point now where it keeps telling me to add .5 at each temp. I have added .5 3 times, and every log tells me to add .5 again. Any thoughts?

+/-.5 works for me. Day to day I'll see the thing go up and down +/- ~1.0 and am happy with it. It fires up on it's own and it is happy.

The other issues are a high start up like around 1800rpm , it comes right back down, but I would like to fix this. Also a fast rolling idle of around 1200rpm, that doesn't drop until I get below my 15mph set point. Weird thing is, it doesn't always do it, just after a long time at constant speed.

Any help is appreciated... thanks!

Jason.

The high startup- what are you commanding when you get the 1800 surge? What is your IAC counts(forgive me if you have the ETC)at?

Fast rolling idle ~1200 that doesn't drop below 15mph- Throttle Cracker/ Follower Delay/Rate settings.

Bottom line, all of these symptoms are related to the IAC valve (Actual TB Blade for ETC) not being optimal for your setup and can be a pain without a RR to get that instant feedback without stopping and flashing and then starting again. All I can say is give the car what it wants in small amounts/ changes. Try not to get frustrated and change more than one thing at a time.

Jason S.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
It is ETC. High rolling idle does drop below my 15mph set point.... I just can't see where to make the changes above that mph. I'm not frustrated, I have just exhausted my resources from what I can see in the software. I was kind of hoping someone had experienced this before at some time, and could point me in the right direction.

THanks

Jason.

SSpdDmon
May 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
It is ETC. High rolling idle does drop below my 15mph set point.... I just can't see where to make the changes above that mph. I'm not frustrated, I have just exhausted my resources from what I can see in the software. I was kind of hoping someone had experienced this before at some time, and could point me in the right direction.

THanks

Jason.
Throttle cracker most likely....if you're rolling, haven't been on the gas for a while, and it's idling at 1200 or higher, you need to reduce the throttle cracker in the appropriate cells.

Jason S.
May 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Throttle cracker most likely....if you're rolling, haven't been on the gas for a while, and it's idling at 1200 or higher, you need to reduce the throttle cracker in the appropriate cells.

Throttle cracker is at zero at those points. It's not when I haven't been on the gas for a while, it's when I have been cruising for a while, then come to a stop (I.E. on the freeway). It drops back down the second I get below 15mph set point. I just can't see anything that applies to those conditions in the software.

Thanks for the input!

Jason.

SSpdDmon
May 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Just start logging airflow pids. If it's not something that jumps out at you, I'd start looking over the mechanical parts.

Kevin Doe
October 9th, 2007, 02:42 AM
RAFIG and RAFPN are pids included in the last two or three released versions of EFI Live. They are calculated .pids that work off of other logged .pids:

GM.IAC_LTD_DMA & GM.IAC_STD_DMA for RAFIG

OR

GM.IAC_LTPN_DMA & GM.IAC_STPN_DMA for RAFPN

So, you need to have all 3 .pids in order for your log to work.

In the scanner, you need to build a map to reflect the Desired Idle Airflow table. The data is the RAFIG or RAFPN. The rows are ECT (as seen in the tuning tool). The way I setup the single column is to log RPM. The label I use is ,8000 (yes you need to type the comma).

Log from a cold start until up to operating temps. Paste and add the results to the Desired Idle Airflow table.

A couple of passes will help you get this close. Keep in mind it will vary from day to day, which means it'll never be perfect. Just like the fuel trims, I like the numbers to be slightly negative. Get it close to zero and then add a little more (ie 0.5 grams/second).

That's how I did it.

I know this thread is old, but I'm curious, can you do this when the PCM is setup for AutoVE? As in open loop, speed density? Should I do the autoVE first, or this first?

SOMhaveit
October 11th, 2007, 02:03 AM
That's a good question. I am going out this morning to log this again and I had the same thoughts. I am in SD and after my 2nd round of logging and adjusting RAFIG I am full tilt lean on my WB gauge at startup and until I reach running ETC.

I'm in Northern KY, where abouts are you in Cincinnati?

Kevin Doe
October 11th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I'm located in Fairfield OH. Right by Cincy Mills Mall. I'm having nearly the same problem as you. What are your mods?

SOMhaveit
October 11th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I have 243 heads ported, light weight valves, patriot gold springs, Kooks 1 7/8 w/catted Y, custom ground Comp cam, 1.85 VHP/Crane Gold rollers, SLP Lid, 85mm Delphi MAF. I was also running AF around 11:1 @ WOT. I've been trying to adjust the VE table to get it closer. It's a long process and a pain to try to hit those cells in the higher RPM's.

Fairfield is a fair trek from here. I'm right near 275 & the Crestview Hills shopping center.

Kevin Doe
October 11th, 2007, 04:54 AM
What are the specs on your cam? Would you be willing to share your tune wiht me so I can compare?

SOMhaveit
October 11th, 2007, 05:16 AM
I can't share cam specs but I can share the tune. I basically started with an oem Z06 tune, I think from a 2002. Then I found a VE table from a modded Z06 and adapted that. I don't know how to post stuff up here but I can email what I have to you. PM your address if you want it. Keep in mind that I'm a novice at this.

Kevin Doe
October 11th, 2007, 05:20 AM
W/o knowing your cam specs, its hard to say how similar to mine it would be. I have the MS4 cam for what thats worth.

SOMhaveit
October 11th, 2007, 06:39 AM
I had a tuning wizard/pro in the area order the cam based on the mods I intended to make and I didn't get the specs from him or I would be happy to share. Even if we had the same cam, my rockers would make a slight difference.

Go to Holden Crazy and check out the two modified tunes for the Z06's. I used the VE table from the 2001 Z06 as a starting point. My VE's are a little lower at idle and fairly close as I get into higher RPM's. As long as you have a wideband and you can see you aren't going lean at throttle, it isn't going to hurt you.