PDA

View Full Version : Convert 2000 to 01 or 02 system

DaddySS
April 19th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I've been searching because I thought I remembered a write up on converting from a 00 to a 01 or 02 operating system. I know I will have save all the calibrations and move them once converted, but anything else I should know/look out for? How for instance is the VIN number handled for a full reflash?

joecar
April 19th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Just paste your VIN into the VIN field of the Calibration tab (go View->Show Calibration Window).

You'll have to open 2 instances of the TuneTool, one on your '00 tune and the other on your '01/'02 tune;
and you have to copy table-by-table; if any tables are transposed, you can un-transpose it using the scratch table under the Conversions tab (go View->Show Calibration Window).

If you go with '02 OS 12212156, then you will be better positioned for migrating to COS5 if you wish later;
more info: showthread.php?t=2599 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2599)

TAQuickness
April 19th, 2007, 06:23 AM
+1 for an '02 OS. Many more custom options should you choose to use them.

DaddySS
April 19th, 2007, 06:25 AM
You guys are the greatest!!! Thanks for the quick response. So just open up the 2002 and the 2000, do all the copying including VIN, then full reflash? How nervous should I be.....:eek:

Happy Jim
April 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM
You guys are the greatest!!! Thanks for the quick response. So just open up the 2002 and the 2000, do all the copying including VIN, then full reflash? How nervous should I be.....:eek:

Go slow, check twice, it's easy if you take your time and do it all in one go (I only managed to mess up the speedo cals so not too bad).

Rgds

Jim

DaddySS
April 28th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Well the conversion went very well. I started by comparing all current calibrations versus stock - this way I knew which ones to leave stock in the new OS and which ones I might want to change. This is helpful since not all the calibrations are the same - some different, some missing, combined etc. and if they were stock to begin with, you don't need to worry about them for now.

For all the calibrations that were different, I made sure I had at leasta fair understanding of why they were different.

During the comparison, I made note of all the calibrations - this way for the ones that were the same I could just breeze through - and any that were questionable I could compare to the 2002 file.

I left all the fuel and spark cals the same as the current tune, this way I could make sure it was working before any changes are made.

My first two logs showed a dramatic improvement in the KR problem I have been fighting - just 2.2 max in a few cells.

I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone thinking about it!

joecar
April 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM
DaddySS, good job. :cheers:

hammy_69357
May 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Interesting. I have a 2000 SS vert also, except auto. If dealing stock vs stock do you still have to copy and paste the tables? I have my stock tune downloaded. I also have a copy of a 02 coupe auto stock.
Thx,
Newb Mike

SSpdDmon
May 13th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Yes. There are differences in many tables. Timing, injectors, etc. You need to update all tables. Some will be the same, but many will be different.

hammy_69357
May 13th, 2007, 06:09 AM
So copy from the o2 os table by table to the 00 os? So I will have all the 02 info,parameters, etc. but still 00 OS? New tun file name of course.

Thx for the help
Mike

joecar
May 13th, 2007, 07:25 AM
So copy from the o2 os table by table to the 00 os? So I will have all the 02 info,parameters, etc. but still 00 OS? New tun file name of course.

Thx for the help
MikeMike,

You're going from a 2000 OS to a 2002 OS...

copy all the tables/parameters from the 2000 file to the 2002 file...

i.e. you want all your 2000 tables/parameters and the 2002 OS/algorithms.

Joe

hammy_69357
May 13th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Thx, That's what I was thinking.:)

joecar
May 13th, 2007, 07:36 AM
And welcome to the forum Mike... :cheers:

RevGTO
May 14th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Here's what I did:
- Set DTC & MIL to 00 settings
- Copied 00 Main VE, Injector Flow Rate, & High Octane Spark tables over.
- Enabled EGR (when I still had it)
- Did a comparison of my 00 tune to a stock 00 tune and copied my changes over.
- Analyzed various tables (e.g., PE RPM modifier, base line pressures) and used 00 values where I thought them more advantageous.

Did I forget something?

hammy_69357
May 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Thx for the info guys.
Ok I was copying parameter data where I could, table to table and I hit my first snag. B5911 SPARK IAT TABLE. My 00 reads in inHG, the 02 reads in oz/cylinder but the columns have different numbers. I assume because of the different calibration units. How do I deal with this and other similar tables such as Spark EGR correction which reads likewise. It must be built into the parameter tables. I tried to make them the same but no dice.

Mike

SSpdDmon
May 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Thx for the info guys.
Ok I was copying parameter data where I could, table to table and I hit my first snag. B5911 SPARK IAT TABLE. My 00 reads in inHG, the 02 reads in oz/cylinder but the columns have different numbers. I assume because of the different calibration units. How do I deal with this and other similar tables such as Spark EGR correction which reads likewise. It must be built into the parameter tables. I tried to make them the same but no dice.

Mike
Some of the tables are different in the fact that they reference other parameters. What I did was start with the new '02 table and tweak it for personal preferences. Just be logical. I mean, unless you're running a boosted setup, do you honestly expect to see intake temps over 140*F? That'd be some major traffic jam in the desert on a blistering day. Then on the off chance you may see those IAT's, are you going to be the type of person to floor it?

RevGTO
May 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Some of the tables are different in the fact that they reference other parameters. What I did was start with the new '02 table and tweak it for personal preferences. Just be logical. Right. Just do the tables I listed and forget about the rest for now. Get your OS changed over and the car running. Most of the other tables will not differ significantly enough from one OS to another to have much effect on how your car runs. If after driving your car for a while with the new tune, you want to tweak something, then compare the old 00 tables and the 02 tables for information.

For example, I noticed that the 00 OS gave more base line pressure on 1-2 and 2-3, but 02 used more on 3-4. My tune combines elements of both. But you can do that kind of thing as you go along and get a feel for the new tune.

DaddySS
May 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Thx for the info guys.

Mike
I compared my 00 tune to a stock 00 tune first - if the values were stock I kept the stock values in the 02 system also. I only changed the things that I knew had to be different - VE and Timing, speedo calc for the gears, DTC & MILS, etc. Everything that I could leave stock on the '02 system I left figuring that many of the tables interact so the fewer the changes the bettter going into the new system.

hammy_69357
May 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Thx for the help. I think I was making this more complicated than it needs to be. :Eyecrazy: I'm going back and start from scratch.

Mike

DaddySS
May 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Keep notes on what you doing table by table. It's time consuming - took about 1.5 hours but worth it later when you say - hmm, why'd I do that?:Eyecrazy:

hammy_69357
May 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM
So the MIL and DTC settings your talking about are the Engine DTC processing enablers and Engine DTC MIL enablers , parameters?
The transmission DTC settings seem to be the same.

Another wierd thing in the speedo settings: My stock tune is saying the tire diameter is 24.91 in, but shouldn't it be 25.66? I'm now running 275/35/18's which figures out to be 25.57. How is the stock tune off that much?
Thx, Mike

SSpdDmon
May 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM
'99 A4 (OS 09381344) to '02 A4 (OS 12212156) files

I tweaked a few things. But, it's pretty much a straight copy of every table that could be copied.

DaddySS
May 16th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Mine was the same, and the speedo seemed to be OK. Easy enough to modify if the speedo is off whenyou're done.

Yes, the DTCs etc. from the diagnostics section.

caver
May 17th, 2007, 05:16 AM
So if I have a stock 00 tune I can pretty much just use the stock 02 tables?

SSpdDmon
May 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM
So if I have a stock 00 tune I can pretty much just use the stock 02 tables?
I think you need to re-read this thread... ;)

I think there are some tables that are interchangeable. They might include things like DFCO settings, fuel trim settings, fan settings, and secondary type functions.

But, things like the timing tables, the VE table, the trans pressures/settings/DTCs, etc. all need to be migrated. Download the 2002 OS version I uploaded above and compare it to a stock '02 A4 tune and you can see everything I migrated over.

critter
June 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM
I think you need to re-read this thread... ;)

If he did, he would notice that you say that all tables need copied from the 2000 to the 2002, but DaddySS and RevGTO say to leave the 2002 table if you haven't changed the 2000 table.

Why do you think unchanged 2000 tables need to be copied to the 2002?

SSpdDmon
June 8th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Because an '00 LS1 is not the same as an '02. There are differences between the knock sensor tables, injector tables, airflow tables, spark tables...I'd say more than 75% of the tables are different between those years. All those tables interact together. If you want the car to perform like it did before an OS swap, I suggest copying ALL of the tables.

critter
June 8th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Because an '00 LS1 is not the same as an '02. There are differences between the knock sensor tables, injector tables, airflow tables, spark tables...I'd say more than 75% of the tables are different between those years. All those tables interact together. If you want the car to perform like it did before an OS swap, I suggest copying ALL of the tables.

Most of those tables are different in mine because it is a 6L, 250* cammed, big headed, FAST, etc car. What I don't understand is things like (from your post) D1108 "Desired 1-2 Shift Times" should be copied. But, it is all good. No big deal.

SSpdDmon
June 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Well, the trans is different too. Desired shift times work with the base pressure and force motor current settings. All of those tables are different. I'm no expert by any means. But if it were my vehicle, I'd want the calibrations for my vehicle's production year.

critter
June 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Well, the trans is different too. Desired shift times work with the base pressure and force motor current settings. All of those tables are different. I'm no expert by any means. But if it were my vehicle, I'd want the calibrations for my vehicle's production year.

LOL! Okay, you are working on personal preference and not technical reasons. Take a look at the IFR tables in the 2002 M6 and 2000 M6 and see which one you would prefer. I think I will not blindly copy tables.

SSpdDmon
June 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I'd prefer the one for my injectors. If I had a 2000 f-car, which came with 26lb injectors, I'd copy the table. If I upgraded my injectors to the 28lb injectors that came on the '02s, then I wouldn't copy the IFR table. It's not a blind copy. ;) The tables were set the way they were set for a reason. I just gave you my opinion. In the end, it's your car. So, do what you want.

joecar
June 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Well, that's just it...

If you have 26 lb/hr injectors you want to copy the IFR table for those 26 lb/hr injectors...

It's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of having the tables that match your hardware.

:)