PDA

View Full Version : My V2 is just collecting dust...

Teutonic Speedracer
April 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I bought my V2 (upgraded from V1) for the extended black box data logging. I road race the car, and bought the V2 in September in order to use it at the track this year. I missed two good days of logging at the track this week, and I have another track day in 2 weeks. My V2 has not even been used, but I had planned on it for 1st QTR....this is so frustrating. At this rate, half the season is going to go by with no BB for V2. Is anyone else in this situation where V2 does them no good until BB logging is released?:confused:

ARK 99coupe
April 20th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Same here, I really hoped this would be available by now. Laptop in passenger seat is a pain.

Chevy366
April 20th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Nice how we have to wait for stuff isn't it . :mad:

Happy Jim
April 21st, 2007, 09:21 AM
Same here, no laptop either :bawl:

TAQuickness
April 21st, 2007, 11:01 AM
If we were waiting for junk, I'd be a little steamed. But since we know it will work right when it's released, I don't mind the wait so much.

Dave Lewis
April 28th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Do we have an estimated release or pre-release date for the black box logging? Of course I'm still trying to get my head around the recent releases. BBL would just make it eaiser.

SS2win
April 28th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I'm getting a little restless too.... it's all good once it's done.

eboggs_jkvl
April 28th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Black box logging, eh. I'm just waiting to be able to do ANY tuning to the car. I'm hung out to dry on my car.

joecar
April 28th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Yes, I've been waiting for BB logging/tuning also, it's getting tiresome to lug a laptop everywhere I go...

I understand that Paul has been working furiously on these various things...

You will find that when he finally releases code, it will work correctly and will not be a half-baked timebomb waiting to kill our PCM's...

But you're all right... it's been a while... I'm sure he'll come good and we won't be disappointed at all.

Joe
:)

eboggs_jkvl
April 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Paul is overworked! http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gifhttp://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gifhttp://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gifhttp://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

emarkay
April 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Now if it was holding up the oil-burners, it'd would have been FedExed Overnite to all from NZ. :mad:

Us owners of legacy CARS (ya know, the ones who have been here since the beginning) will just have to sit and wait.

BTW, I have been noticing the dust on my V2 getting a bit yellow- the pollen is starting to blow around these parts now. I do hope not to see any white corn pollen on it ("knee high by July...").

Dieselholic
April 28th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Now if it was holding up the oil-burners, it'd would have been FedExed Overnite to all from NZ. :mad:

Us owners of legacy CARS (ya know, the ones who have been here since the beginning) will just have to sit and wait.

BTW, I have been noticing the dust on my V2 getting a bit yellow- the pollen is starting to blow around these parts now. I do hope not to see any white corn pollen on it ("knee high by July...").

Ouch!!!;) :)

LSRacing
April 28th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Keep up the good work Paul. Im very happy with my V2 software. This is by far the best tuning software on the market. We should all be thankfull to have it.

mr.prick
April 28th, 2007, 04:24 PM
it`s useless without a lap top anyways.
its the only way to make any changes on the road.
get a lap top.

Teutonic Speedracer
April 29th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Mine isn't the fact I don't want to drag one of my laptops around, it's the fact that you can't have a laptop in a racecar in a roadcourse....it's just too much heat, vibration, weight, and g's in all directions. The 22 minutes, dump, 22 minutes, dump with the V1 gets old. It'd be nice to just log all day and check at the hotel at night, make adjustments....that's why I bought V2 in September!

I literally have not plugged the V2 into my car yet. I bought a 1gb SD card 2 months ago, that I could've probably gotten for half $$ by now.

I know it will be good when it comes out, it's just the fact of what was promised in September for Q1 now sounds like Q2 or Q3 and the racing season has already started!

Beer99C5
April 29th, 2007, 01:43 AM
My V2 is not getting any dust on it (yet :D )...

Its on the UPS truck and will be stored in the EFI Live storage case when not in use...

Now to get a SD Card :) and hope the BBL comes out BEFORE I go back to work mid May.

kp
May 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM

Now thats kinda interesting, when I was complaining that the 98 stuff wasnt getting done because of the 99+ custom operating systems I remember everyone saying 'who cares about 98s, give us 99+ guys MORE MORE MORE.'

But now I have an LBZ diesel and I'm glad they are working on the new oil burners, I can live without BB logging as long as it tunes my diesel.

Funny how it all evens out in the end ;)

joecar
May 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
lol... :cheers:

Blacky
May 4th, 2007, 12:00 AM
We are working on multiple fronts right now:
- Black box logging
- AutoCal
- E38/E67
- Allison 6 spd
- T43
- Stand alone flashing
- EFILive V8

(Cloning Ross and me might help - but its a scary thought having more than one of each of us....)

I know you guys want this stuff yesterday - and I wish we could have it all done yesterday, but we're pefectionists (for better or worse) and we want stuff done right before we release it.

That said, I also understand some of the frustration of purchasing FlashScan and not being able to black box log. BB logging has been undergoing testing over the past few weeks. A problem that has haunted me for a few weeks now, turned out to be a bug in the black-box logging firmware (7 is not equal to 11 - who knew?*). It has been fixed and I expect BB logging to make an appearance (at least as a pre-release version) some time very soon.

* I think it is a prime number conspiracy against me :(

Regards
Paul

Black02SS
May 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Sounds great Paul, thanks for the update. :) Explains why you guys haven't had a chance to reply to my recent email.

Blacky
May 4th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Sounds great Paul, thanks for the update. :) Explains why you guys haven't had a chance to reply to my recent email.
You back already?

Black02SS
May 4th, 2007, 12:14 AM
No I am in the process of leaving here in about 20mins.

Black02SS
May 4th, 2007, 12:18 AM
if you get something you need tested on some 38/67's, just send it over as I will have several to test for the next few days.

eboggs_jkvl
May 4th, 2007, 01:14 AM

Actually they had a pool going to see how long you'd go before posting about them not returning yer messages. The lucky winner gets a 6 pack of his favorite brew, the losers get a keg of Fosters! :D:cheers:

Elmer

emarkay
May 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Now thats kinda interesting, when I was complaining that the 98 stuff wasnt getting done because of the 99+ custom operating systems I remember everyone saying 'who cares about 98s, give us 99+ guys MORE MORE MORE.'
But now I have an LBZ diesel and I'm glad they are working on the new oil burners, I can live without BB logging as long as it tunes my diesel.
Funny how it all evens out in the end ;)

Actually it was me and Randy who were pushing for the 97-98 stuff... But that was years ago...

BTW, cars and pick-up trucks will never even out. Even those Stupid Useless Vehicles and extended extended cab pick-ups, as car-like as they may seem, are just lumbering obstacles to outmaneuver on the roads, IMHO.

kp
May 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Actually it was me and Randy who were pushing for the 97-98 stuff... But that was years ago...

BTW, cars and pick-up trucks will never even out. Even those Stupid Useless Vehicles and extended extended cab pick-ups, as car-like as they may seem, are just lumbering obstacles to outmaneuver on the roads, IMHO.

I guess, but I use my lumbering obstacle to pull a 10,000+ pound enclosed trailer up the side of a lot of mountains around here. Not to play boy racer with ;)

Garry
May 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
(7 is not equal to 11 - who knew?*)
Not even for large values of 7 and small values of 11? Thought it may get almost equal ;)

In other news ...

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :muahaha:

Happy Jim
May 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM
No pressure, I'm going to the Nurburgring on the 5th of july for a few days and want to log the whole day :jump:

Garry
May 13th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Looks like you'll be a couple days late for our June Quartermile in Bitburg, or a couple days early for the July one ... :(

pkincy
July 7th, 2007, 08:29 AM
And May becomes June and June becomes July and ................:Eyecrazy:

Perry

Happy Jim
July 8th, 2007, 08:50 AM
No pressure, I'm going to the Nurburgring on the 5th of july for a few days and want to log the whole day :jump:

Well the Nurburgring was awesome - truly scary but great.

Are we any closer to this yet? I think we're taking patience to the limit with this and I'd rather have my expectations reset long and then delivered early rather than miss another target.

Regards

Jim

redhardsupra
July 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM
And May becomes June and June becomes July and ................:Eyecrazy:

Perry
May? wasn't the 'sale' of V1->V2 upgrades like back in September?
c'mon guys, I love the product, but these delays are making you look like the HPT crew :frown:

SS2win
July 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I understood it was due for release 1st quarter... never guessed they meant 2008... :help2:

kbracing96
July 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I understood it was due for release 1st quarter... never guessed they meant 2008... :help2:
Actually.... It was originally scheduled for first quarter 06!

But them pesky diesels and all them other new PCM's got in the way :(

98redformula
July 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I am getting a bit dissapointed myself. After going through a similar experience waiting for my 1998 to be supported after upgrading from my ATUSB to Flashscan V1, this wait for V2 to be standalone is really a let down for me. :bawl: My sole reason for the upgrade from V1 to V2 was for standalone logging. My V2 hasn't even gotten out of its box for 8 months. I know it will be great once it is working, as my other EFI Live products have been, but these 8 month delays are killing me. :help2:

Ninety8C5
July 12th, 2007, 02:25 AM
I am getting a bit dissapointed myself. After going through a similar experience waiting for my 1998 to be supported after upgrading from my ATUSB to Flashscan V1, this wait for V2 to be standalone is really a let down for me. :bawl: My sole reason for the upgrade from V1 to V2 was for standalone logging. My V2 hasn't even gotten out of its box for 8 months. I know it will be great once it is working, as my other EFI Live products have been, but these 8 month delays are killing me. :help2:

:exactly:

Maggie
July 12th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Ah, it does seem that the great standalone logging V2 desideratum has been trumped yet once again.:frown:

Blacky
July 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I have been reading everyone's comments and I appreciate that your patience is running thin. Here's the situation. Telling you won't make BB logging appear any faster, but I hope it helps you understand some of the processes that we are working through.

AutoCal is a new hardware platform that we are bringing to market. It is a cheaper, smaller, less functional "baby brother" of FlashScan. It has been the development platform for black box logging. The BB logging for AutoCal was completed about a month ago, BUT it was designed for the all new EFILive V8 software. It uses different/faster communications protocols that solve most (if not all) of the annoying things about the FlashScan V1 and V2 USB comms (like having multiple applications connected to the same device). Plus it has a better log file format that is easier for third party applications to integrate etc.

At that point we had two choices as to how we were going to implement BB logging:
1. Wait until the EFILive V8 software was released at at end of 2007 or early 2008 so that FlashScan could use the new firmware developed for AutoCal.
or
2. Design a hybrid FlashScan firmware to allow FlashScan V2 to run the all new BB logging firmware from AutoCal while maintaing backward compatibilty with the existing EFILive V7 software.

We chose option 2 because it will allow us to get BB logging to market sooner. It also enhances FlashScan V2 significantly by adding a Real Time Operating System to the FlashScan firmware. The RTOS allows FlashScan to perform more complicated tasks more easily and with more control over the target devices. The RTOS also allows BB logging to easily scan/log multiple controllers (engine and trans) simultaneously.

The back-porting of the AutoCal (EFILive V8 compatible) firmware to FlashScan (EFILive V7 compatible) firmware is pretty much done. We're testing the CAN scanning and flashing this week. If that goes well then it is likely that (for the brave) a test version of the BB logging will be available as soon as that testing completes.

In hindsight what we should have done was build into FlashScan V2 the same BB logging features that FlashScan V1 has. That would have been ready 12 months ago. However, I (yes it was my fault) chose to implement the most complete BB logging design that was possible. I did not ever expect it to take this long to implement. Not making excuses, just explanations....:bash:

Thanks for listening
Regards
Paul

SS2win
July 12th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks Paul for letting us in. I think sitting in the dark is the biggest frustration for me. Others too, I'm sure. It would help relieve the tension if you setup a blog of some sort so we could follow the progress. I don't want you to take away from your development time too much so posting something weekly or monthly would be great too.

Now hurry up and git-er-done! :wave:

Doc
July 12th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Having the resolve to take the high road is usually a lonely path.

Maggie
July 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM
If that goes well then it is likely that (for the brave) a test version of the BB logging will be available as soon as that testing completes.

After a few :cheers: and some :beer: I get real brave!!!

Paul, thanks for the info.

2002_z28_six_speed
July 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM
After a few :cheers: and some :beer: I get real brave!!!

Paul, thanks for the info.

HEHE. My V2 gets used most days but I would dare to take a stride into unknown lands to get that laptop out of my car. Less things to worry about.

joecar
July 13th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I think you got more to worry about with Windows on the laptop than with BB logging... :D

2002_z28_six_speed
July 13th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Oh buddy if there was a linux version of EFI-Live I am sure it would use less battery and have more uptime than Donald Trump has dollars but I don't know how many users we would get hehe.

joecar
July 13th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Problem with anything Linux is that you would have to tailor it, debug it, recompile it (and why not retailor/rebuild the kernel while you're at it) to run on your system... :D

Linux is very much DIY, same concept as crawling thru wrecking yards looking for parts to modify and install in a classic muscle car... :D

Maggie
July 13th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I think you got more to worry about with Windows on the laptop than with BB logging... :D

LOL, Windows is like the water bug that found the toilet....All is good as long as the water stays clear, but things can trun crappy in hurry!:eek:

Blacky
July 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Linux, Mac OS and Windows CE will all be able to easily connect up to FlashScan V2 once the new firmware update is released. We have spent many, many months (as you are all well aware) making sure the communications spec is robust enough to handle, RS232, USB, ALDL, VPW and CAN comms now and into the future.

More on all that later, once BB logging is done.

Regards
Paul

Oh buddy if there was a linux version of EFI-Live I am sure it would use less battery and have more uptime than Donald Trump has dollars but I don't know how many users we would get hehe.

macca_779
July 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Hey Paul, how did the BB testing over CAN go this week. Can I assume if your up to testing CAN that the older interfaces are complete. Hows the schedule going. Are we looking at days, weeks, months.
Don't mean to rush anything, but keeping the development info comming our way certainly makes the wait easier.

Cheers Macca

Blacky
July 14th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Hey Paul, how did the BB testing over CAN go this week. Can I assume if your up to testing CAN that the older interfaces are complete. Hows the schedule going. Are we looking at days, weeks, months.
Don't mean to rush anything, but keeping the development info comming our way certainly makes the wait easier.

Cheers Macca

The CAN testing is 90% done. Scanning, logging and flash reading are done. Just flash writing remains to be tested. Once the protocol testing is done, the new firmware delivery and programming procedures will be updated.

Regards
Paul

2002_z28_six_speed
July 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM
The CAN testing is 90% done. Scanning, logging and flash reading are done. Just flash writing remains to be tested. Once the protocol testing is done, the new firmware delivery and programming procedures will be updated.

Regards
Paul

Wow. That is some good news to hear. :cheers: How friendly is the workbench for the Infineon processors? Heard of them before but my experience is only limited to TI and Motorola.

Blacky
July 14th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Wow. That is some good news to hear. :cheers: How friendly is the workbench for the Infineon processors? Heard of them before but my experience is only limited to TI and Motorola.
It's very, very nice:notacrook:.

No more tracing/debugging by flashing LEDs (like I had to do with FlashScan V1). The Infineon has a JTAG interface and a full featured debugger driving it.

Regards
Paul

Garry
July 14th, 2007, 07:19 PM
... while tune flashing is nice as stand alone, it would be nice to at least get BB logging done some time ;) Not all folks are in the part of the world where Oct-Mar are the "nice months" of the year ... (well, come to think of it, neither seem to be Apr-Sep here ... weather sucked in Germany all the way from June 10th through last Friday ...)

SS2win
July 15th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Problem with anything Linux is that you would have to tailor it, debug it, recompile it (and why not retailor/rebuild the kernel while you're at it) to run on your system... :D

Linux is very much DIY, same concept as crawling thru wrecking yards looking for parts to modify and install in a classic muscle car... :D

I volunteer to roll RPMS for CentOS when a port is released. That makes it a lot easier to deal with.

squealingtires
July 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Linux, Mac OS and Windows CE will all be able to easily connect up to FlashScan V2 once the new firmware update is released. We have spent many, many months (as you are all well aware) making sure the communications spec is robust enough to handle, RS232, USB, ALDL, VPW and CAN comms now and into the future.

More on all that later, once BB logging is done.

Regards
Paul

Wow! that is pretty sweet! I'm ready to move up and on to the MacOS. Keep up the awesome work and innovation

02pewterls1
July 20th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Sounds great keep up the nice work guys.:cheers:

I just got a new Macbook Pro laptop and I am really loving the Mac OS I do not see myself EVER buying another Windows based computer nice knowing you Bill G.

macca_779
July 26th, 2007, 01:12 AM
hows the BB progress going this week Paul? We must be getting extremly close now. (crosses fingers)

squealingtires
July 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
hows the BB progress going this week Paul? We must be getting extremly close now. (crosses fingers)

If I understood correctly, it seems like BB logging will be released whenever software release .version 8 has been released.

Black02SS
July 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Negative. It sould be released before then, unless I am missing something.

Garry
July 26th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I guess there'd be some mutiny if it weren't released until sometime 2008 when V8 is scheduled ... (though seeing we're almost in August and the season is halfway over for the northern hemisphere, unless you're in places like Florida or the likes, there's not much difference between spring of 2008 or October of 2007) :(

Black02SS
July 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM
(though seeing we're almost in August and the season is halfway over for the northern hemisphere, unless you're in places like Florida or the likes, there's not much difference between spring of 2008 or October of 2007) :(

I agree 100%. :frown:

Ninety8C5
July 27th, 2007, 12:14 AM
... while tune flashing is nice as stand alone, it would be nice to at least get BB logging done some time ;) ...)

:exactly:

stkshkr
July 27th, 2007, 02:36 AM
What he said! I really need BB logging

ARK 99coupe
July 27th, 2007, 02:44 AM
ME Too Me Too

floriduramax1
July 27th, 2007, 04:27 AM
I guess there'd be some mutiny if it weren't released until sometime 2008 when V8 is scheduled ... (though seeing we're almost in August and the season is halfway over for the northern hemisphere, unless you're in places like Florida or the likes, there's not much difference between spring of 2008 or October of 2007) :(
You are right! I'm in FL and there is a big difference between spring 08 and Oct. 07 ;)

Blacky
July 27th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Your comments are not falling on deaf ears. I am watching and listening but mostly I'm working on the BB logging. I know it just looks like BB logging is taking all the time in the world but there are a *lot* of other modules that need to be in place and working perectly in order to support the BB logging release. So its not like its taken 8 months to *just* implement BB logging. About 20% of the work was BB logging and 80% was implementing the systems required to support BB logging to the level that we designed it. And yes, in hindsight our biggest mistake was probably over-designing the BB logging.

Now for the good news: I expect to be sending out some test units (internally to EFILive insiders) sometime next week.

Regards
Paul

ntae
July 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Now for the good news: I expect to be sending out some test units (internally to EFILive insiders) sometime next week.

Regards
Paul

with your comment ( test units ) does that mean the V2 cables we have been selling will not BB log

gto_in_nc
July 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Way cool, Paul. :D

Blacky
July 27th, 2007, 11:24 AM
with your comment ( test units ) does that mean the V2 cables we have been selling will not BB log

No, what I meant was, I'll be sending out normal units with the new test firmware in it. For testing purposes a tester needs to have two units so that results can be compared easily.

Regards
Paul

mnotx
July 28th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Well, as a non-professional tuner who has been on board since the beginning, I really appreciate the extra time you guys spend on the quality and function.

I realize delays cause some problems for those who tune for a living, but I still think it is worth the inconvenience. Just wanted to say thanks, Paul.

02pewterls1
July 29th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Well, as a non-professional tuner who has been on board since the beginning, I really appreciate the extra time you guys spend on the quality and function.

I realize delays cause some problems for those who tune for a living, but I still think it is worth the inconvenience. Just wanted to say thanks, Paul.

I have been with them from the begining and have always been happy with the products they have produced and great customer service. It will all be worth the wait when it is finished.
Thanks for all the hard work Paul.:cheers:

Cougar281
August 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Any updates Paul? Did you send out the test units?

Blacky
August 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM
We have only sent out three units. They are being used to test the email/internet based firmware update system. Once they pass that test to our satisfaction we will increase the size of the test field. There's no point sending them all out until we know for sure that the firmware can be updated successfully.

While I always expected the new firmware (and EFILive V8 software) to outperform the old FlashScan firmware and V7 software, I did not appreciate just how much better it is.

One surprising (and unexpected) result that I found so far is:
Time to reflash FlashScan (about 96K) firmware - around 10-15 seconds.
Time to reflash AutoCal (about 102K) firmware - around 3.5 seconds.The difference is, the AutoCal firmware uses a RTOS (Real Time Operating System). The RTOS is orders of magnitude more efficient (than the old FlashScan firmware) at controlling AutoCal's and FlashScan's hardware. The RTOS has been purpose-written for the Infineon CPU and is highly optimized for that CPU.

The good news is that FlashScan's old firmware is currently being replaced with the new RTOS based AutoCal firmware - which is the final piece of the BB logging jigsaw...

Regards
Paul

joecar
August 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Cool... :cheers:

Chevy366
August 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I volunteer to roll RPMS for CentOS when a port is released. That makes it a lot easier to deal with.
God , that would be so great EFILive Linux version . :cheers:
Say goodbye to Winders . :notacrook:

lakingslayer
August 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM
We have only sent out three units. They are being used to test the email/internet based firmware update system. Once they pass that test to our satisfaction we will increase the size of the test field. There's no point sending them all out until we know for sure that the firmware can be updated successfully.

While I always expected the new firmware (and EFILive V8 software) to outperform the old FlashScan firmware and V7 software, I did not appreciate just how much better it is.

One surprising (and unexpected) result that I found so far is:

Time to reflash FlashScan (about 96K) firmware - around 10-15 seconds.
Time to reflash AutoCal (about 102K) firmware - around 3.5 seconds.The difference is, the AutoCal firmware uses a RTOS (Real Time Operating System). The RTOS is orders of magnitude more efficient (than the old FlashScan firmware) at controlling AutoCal's and FlashScan's hardware. The RTOS has been purpose-written for the Infineon CPU and is highly optimized for that CPU.

The good news is that FlashScan's old firmware is currently being replaced with the new RTOS based AutoCal firmware - which is the final piece of the BB logging jigsaw...

Regards
Paul

So is the new V8 going to be compatible with the V2 FlashScan or are we going to have to get new hardware?

floriduramax1
August 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM
So is the new V8 going to be compatible with the V2 FlashScan or are we going to have to get new hardware?
I'm hoping that What I read out of that post was V7 FIRMWARE was being replaced.

joecar
August 7th, 2007, 06:24 AM
V8 is new software that will run on V2 hardware.

My understanding is that V2 was designed to meet all future software needs.

And I think floriduramax1 is right, V2's current firmware is being replaced with new design firmware.

ringram
August 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
:coool:

Blacky
August 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Just to put everything in context:

Going a few years back... EFILive V5 and V6 is the old PC based software that supports the following interfaces: Multiplex Engineering #T16, AutoTap V1, AutoTap V2 and AutoTap ATUSB.

EFILive V7 is the current PC based software version that supports the following interfaces: AutoTap ATUSB, EFILive FlashScan V1, FlashScan V2 with firmware V2.4.xx.

Firmware V2.4.xx is the current FlashScan V2 firmware, it must be upgraded to firmware 2.5.xx to be compatible with EFILive V8.

EFILive V8 is the all new PC based software that will replace EFILive V7 as soon as we get it done in 2008. It will support the AutoCal and FlashScan V2 interfaces. It will not support the AutoTap or FlashScan V1 interfaces.

EFILive V8 will support the FlashScan V2 interface after the FlashScan V2 interface has been upgraded to firmware version 2.5.xx. Firmware version 2.5.xx contains the RTOS (mentioned in my previous post) and is a free update for all FlashScan V2 customers.

The 2.5.xx firmware is compatible with EFILive V7, so once you upgrade your FlashScan V2 to 2.5.xx you can continue to use the EFILive V7 software as you always have PLUS you can take advantage of the new EFILive V8 features as they are released - such as BB logging, stand alone reading/flashing etc.

As Joe said, when we designed the FlashScan V2 hardware we looked ahead as far as we could and designed the hardware to be "useful" well into the future. The software and firmware upgrades will allow us (and you) to keep pace with vehicle electronics technology for some time to come. However, that's not to say we aren't already working on FlashScan V3 - with some very cool built in features.

Regards
Paul

TLKSCHP
August 7th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Sounds like some good things coming. Problem is it makes a person wander if they should wait on upgrading for the new stuff coming. Take me for example, I'm not very good at tuning but, I bought auto tap way back when, then efi live for it to log, then LS1 edit and then EFI V1. Now I need V2 for our TBSS but when I think of all the money I have spent for my skill leval my head spins. I'm just one of them people I guess that just doesn't get it, but can't stand to let other people work on my car.

lakingslayer
August 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks Paul. When you started talking RTOS I got a little concerned about it being able to work with the V2. I'm releived that it is ready for it.

macca_779
August 13th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Any updates with BB development Paul? Don't suppose you could give us an Expected ETA based on your current schedule.

Black02SS
August 15th, 2007, 02:00 AM
While I am upset as well that BBL isn't available yet, I don't feel the same as you. It does suck that we have waited so long and not seen anything, but like in the past as you well know, when they release a feature, it is well worth the wait. Lets just hope it doesn't take much longer as customers are getting very upset and patience is running out....

Ninety8C5
August 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I was hoping we were going to be surprised and find BB logging in release 7.5, but it sounds like I'm going to be disappointed AGAIN! :bawl::bawl::bawl:

Blacky
August 15th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I guess it seems to many customers like BB logging is never going to happen. It will happen but there have been many pre-requisites that we had to meet before it could happen. There have also been a number of urgent projects that caused BB logging to be put on hold for a few weeks here and there. Those projects were not part of the planned development cycle but the business case for giving them priority was significant.

There's nothing I can say to defend the fact that it is "late as hell". I know its late, our customers know its late, even my kids know its late.

I don't have any further updates/information on black box logging execpt to say that the PC side of the BB logging module is complete. It is a standalone application that is built on the all new EFILive V8 software platform. There are no known issues with the design/development of BB logging. The only hold up to BB logging now is how fast the firmware and software can be completed, tested and rolled out.

Regards
Paul

Doc
August 16th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Paul,
ROTFLMAO, your kids know it's late? In the imortal words of John Fogerty, "Keep on Choogglin." It'll get done when it's done.

;)

Blacky
August 16th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Paul,
ROTFLMAO, your kids know it's late? In the imortal words of John Fogerty, "Keep on Choogglin." It'll get done when it's done.

;)
Yup, even the kids are hassling me...:nixweiss:
Here's a pretty much verbatim conversation I had with my 5 year old daughter.

5yo: Daddy, why do you work so much?
Me: Well, I promised some people that I would do some work for them, that was a long time ago and I still haven't got it finished yet.
5yo: Why do you have to do work for them?
Me: So we can earn some money.
5yo: Why do we need money?
Me: So you and mummy can go shopping.
5yo: To buy shoes?
Me: Sigh! Yes.
5Yo: Oh, cool!
Me: :bash::bash::bash:

WildChild
August 16th, 2007, 01:33 AM
:funnypost: Thanks Paul, Im know everyone here appreciates your dedication and hard work :cheers:

joecar
August 16th, 2007, 03:03 AM
lol... kids have a profound understanding... :cheers:

gto_in_nc
August 17th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Some things are universal, eh? When the aliens land, they are gonna clear out all the Choos and Blahniks on the planet. It won't be "take us to your leader" it will be "where can I get a trio of black patent peep-toe slingbacks?"

Blacky
August 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Some things are universal, eh? When the aliens land, they are gonna clear out all the Choos and Blahniks on the planet. It won't be "take us to your leader" it will be "where can I get a trio of black patent peep-toe slingbacks?"

Just had to get Donna to translate that post for me...:Eyecrazy:

Dennis93TA
August 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM
i'm lost

2002_z28_six_speed
August 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Yup, even the kids are hassling me...:nixweiss:
Here's a pretty much verbatim conversation I had with my 5 year old daughter.

5yo: Daddy, why do you work so much?
Me: Well, I promised some people that I would do some work for them, that was a long time ago and I still haven't got it finished yet.
5yo: Why do you have to do work for them?
Me: So we can earn some money.
5yo: Why do we need money?
Me: So you and mummy can go shopping.
5yo: To buy shoes?
Me: Sigh! Yes.
5Yo: Oh, cool!
Me: :bash::bash::bash:

5 years old and already taking you to the bank. :cheers:

gto_in_nc
August 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Just had to get Donna to translate that post for me...:Eyecrazy:

Yes but did she agree? Even more importantly, did she laugh???

Blacky
August 23rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
She started explaining about Jimmy and Manolo as if I knew what she was talking about...:nixweiss: But she said you've got good taste :master:

Paul

Garry
August 26th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Any news apart from Shoe-talk?

SS2win
August 26th, 2007, 03:55 AM
yeah my kids dont get no shoes till this thing works.. :Eyecrazy:

Hyper99
August 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Will we get BB logging before SEMA?? :D

I'm missing my V1 right now. It's been a long time waiting for a feature that everyone uses.:Eyecrazy:

It's a good product, but this is one of the things that I updated to V2 for and we still are waiting.

Blacky
August 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Will we get BB logging before SEMA?? :D

I'm missing my V1 right now. It's been a long time waiting for a feature that everyone uses.:Eyecrazy:

It's a good product, but this is one of the things that I updated to V2 for and we still are waiting.

YES!
I am aiming to have it well and truly available before SEMA - otherwise grevious bodily harm may come to us while we are there :Eyecrazy:
I really do appreciate everyone's patience - thanks.
Paul

Garry
August 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Hm ... SEMA is Oct 30th ...

Season Tag on my Hawk ends Oct 31st ...

Hyper99
August 29th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the update Paul.

My laptop does not seem to take corners too well.....:Eyecrazy: and has no problems with being replaced in the truck by the V2 and an SD card.:) :rockon:

macca_779
August 29th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the update Paul.

My laptop does not seem to take corners too well.....:Eyecrazy: and has no problems with being replaced in the truck by the V2 and an SD card.:) :rockon:

I hear ya brother. If im going for a squirt I like to have a passenger so they can hold the laptop for me.

Garry
September 8th, 2007, 03:15 AM
*Bump*

Garry
September 12th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Nothing?

Ninety8C5
September 12th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Regards
Paul

This quote is almost two months old. What happened?

SS2win
September 12th, 2007, 06:06 AM
yawwwn!

Happy Jim
September 12th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I'm preparing for my V2's 1st Birthday at the moment, I was going to get it a present (SD Card), however, think I better save the surprise for it's Christmas treat :thankyou2:

Jim

Blacky
September 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
This quote is almost two months old. What happened?
What happened? It would be quicker and easier to answer "what didn't happen?" :bash:

A nasty :moon1: firmware problem was found during testing. It was so nasty in fact that it physically damaged about 5 units before we could figure out what was causing the problem.

I won't go into the details but it is all fixed :fluffy: and testing resumed earlier this week. The beta units were (re)scheduled to be sent out earlier this week, but as of today I expect them to be sent out on Friday.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
September 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the update. Sometimes even bad news is better than no news at all. Glad to hear things are progressing again.

joecar
September 12th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Glad to hear that a bug was found and killed off... :wave:

I get worried when no bugs are initially found... ;)

Biggsy
September 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Glad to hear that a bug was found and killed off... :wave:

I get worried when no bugs are initially found... ;)

I got a box of amoxycillan, that will kill bugs!:muahaha:

joecar
September 13th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I got a box of amoxycillan, that will kill bugs!:muahaha:lol... :D

It has been found some bugs have genetically adapted to resist the bug killer used on their great^n grand parents... :Eyecrazy: :bash:

In software development, it seems that even if you apply previous lessons learnt to current software design in an attempt to prevent those previous bugs, those same old bugs still show up... :bash: it's like an episode from the "Twilight Zone"... :Eyecrazy:

SS2win
September 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I still think it would be nice if you guys posted to a blog.

TAQuickness
September 13th, 2007, 07:33 AM
A nasty :moon1: firmware problem was found during testing.

You got a way with without words :D

Hyper99
September 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Any news on this??:nixweiss:

Is this to be part of the 7.5 release?

Patiently (not really) waiting for BETA to become release version.:wave:

Since the BB logging is to store the data on the SD card, how soon before we are able to load tunes on the SD card and be able to use only the handheld to pick and play??:D :D :D

Blacky
September 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
The BB logging will not be part of the V7 software.

BB logging will be released as a firmware upgrade to the FlashScan V2 device. The files created by the BB logging process will be V7 compatible and can be read and displayed in the V7 software. A new V8 log file format has been developed but will not be released until the V8 software is ready (next year).

A separate piece of software (which is part of the EFILive V8 software package) will be made available to read/write files from/to the FlashScan SD card - via the USB connection. Or if your PC has an SD card reader then you can read/write the SD card directly.

The BB logging read/write V8 software is ready, the BB logging firmware is embedded in AutoCal test devices that have been sent to the beta testers.

The BB logging firmware has been ported to FlashScan (so that AutoCal and FlashScan are nbow using the same firmware) and it has been retro-fitted with the V7 comms to allow the FlashScan V2 to continue to work with the V7 software.

I am still working towards a timeframe of pre-releasing BB logging firmware for FlashScan V2 prior to SEMA (Nov 2007).

Regards
Paul

macca_779
September 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Great news Paul. Always appreciate the updates.

kdubbz
September 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Good news, Sema is oct.30 to nov.2 so its not that far away! about a month then I hope! Of course just as track season is ending here up in the northeast.

Garry
September 27th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Hm ... depends on how you see it ... V2 was released during SEMA last year, with a projected timeframe of 3-6 months until all the features would be available ...

ScarabEpic22
September 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
True, but in defense a LOT has happened this year with E38/E67 gas stuff and the announcement of V8.

Ninety8C5
September 28th, 2007, 01:13 AM
True, but in defense a LOT has happened this year with E38/E67 gas stuff and the announcement of V8.

That is true, but I didn't buy V2 for E38/E67, Diesel stuff, Virtual VE or V8. I bought it for BB logging and stand alone reading/writing. I understand the business case for all of the above, but the fanfare when V2 was announced was about its stand alone features which still are not available almost a year later. Just my $.02.

Chevy366
September 28th, 2007, 02:00 AM
The way I see it is the V2 is a clunky piece of equipment , that will some day be good but at the moment just barely usable . No BBL , no digital wide-band input , supported vehicle list is not growing very fast , at least not as fast as the competition who now can do Fords .

kbracing96
September 28th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Actually, V2 was originally slated for release in EARLY 06! With no mention that it would be released with OUT the stand alone functions, the WHOLE ENTIRE reason I wanted it (of which reading and flashing aren't even being talked about for a time frame right now, so who knows?). BUT, was pushed back 6 months, then released with only OBDII code reading and clearing with the rest of the stand alone "right everything around the corner" Well, here it is a YEAR later and NOTHING!

I'm sorry, but with failed deadline after failed dead line, I have lost all faith in putting anytime frame on anything. V8 has been in the works for a long time, so that's not an excuse. I know business is business but come on, you need to make good on your commitment to your customers.

Personally, I love the EFILive guys and they have been good to me, BUT they still have commitments they have failed to meet for what ever reason. IMHO, they should have finished there back projects BEFORE pursuing new one's. Once you push something to the back burner, it's hard when your as busy as these guys are to get back to it. And to be honest, based strictly on the past year and a half, I don't think V8 will be out till LATE 08 or 09.:bawl: They also introduce AutoCal last year at Sema which is something I am very interested in, which is not even in the hands of general beta tests yet:frown:.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I've been siting on my hands for way too long about this:frown:. I know there working hard, it's just frustrating then they don't make good in there previous commitments before pursuing new ones. I sure hope they get some of their catching up done soon!:cheers:

Garry
September 28th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Plus, the (though generous) upgrade offer was clearly targetting V1 owners, who in most cases do not NEED any or at least most of the new engines and stuff (unless they are professional tuners)

Oh well ... still looking forward to finally getting the great product I was hoping for ...

Blacky
September 28th, 2007, 07:39 AM
These last few posts most likely reflect the opinions of many, myself included. I'm probably more disappointed and critical of myself than anyone that the BB logging and standalone flashing is still not done.

There's no excuse, the only thing we can do now is to deliver BB logging and standalone flashing as soon as possible. It is that simple from now on.

Regards
Paul

Cougar281
September 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM
On the topic of the V2 and updates, but out in left field, is there any chance the V2 might be able to read & clear codes on 96+ Fords, maybe even expand EFILive's tuning ability to Fords as well? I for one would love to be able to tune my truck, 4.6L Cougar, and wife's 3.8L Mustang all with one interface & Software.

On the topic of the thread, I too am dissapointed in the delay after delay of the update releases. I want to start logging and trying to learn what I need to change in my tunes, but can't have the laptop logging all the time.

kbracing96
September 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
These last few posts most likely reflect the opinions of many, myself included. I'm probably more disappointed and critical of myself than anyone that the BB logging and standalone flashing is still not done.

There's no excuse, the only thing we can do now is to deliver BB logging and standalone flashing as soon as possible. It is that simple from now on.

Regards
Paul

Paul, you know it absolutely nothing personal. I love it, push it and sell it to folks, it's just really frustrating to tell guys that it's "just around the corner" but that corner must be really far away, lol. I know you work REALLY hard on it, and it will be well worth it in the end, but I know how the snow ball affect goes too, well if we do this, we can do that , but this will be even better and then we can do it that way and.... I'm guessing that's what has happened here.

I'm in the same boat with a project I'm working on now. Started out just putting a new motor in my dads old '72 Chevy pickup (owned it since it was new). Well, then if we are doing that, lets put in a GenIII 5.3 and 4L60. That would be even more fun, if it had a turbo. Well, the truck still rides really rough, so lets put 4 link front and rear (4x4) and airbags so it will ride nice. Well here I am a year later on a project that should have been done in a couple weeks if we had just done the motor swap, but its about 90% done now and I'm still having a hard time getting motivated to finish it.

In the end, you have a really great product, but it too 5 times longer to bring to market. I know there's nothing I can do do to make it happen faster, but it makes me feel a little better to vent a little, lol. Just keep on it, and I'm sure we will have a great product soon! :D :cheers:

98ls1blackbird
September 30th, 2007, 05:05 PM
The V2 was a year ago, and still is being advertised in magazines like GM High Tech Performance, as a stand alone unit. That was a major factor in me buying this program as opposed to HP Tuners. Is there any truth in advertising?
Caveat Emptor.

Cougar281
October 4th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I was just thinking about previous statements regarding BB logging and the upcoming V8 software. Since the BB Logging is based on the v8 framework, and ported to work with the V7 software, and since it has been stated that in v8, you will be able to monitor multiple controllers at the same time (ie: Duramax ECM & TCM), will the V2 be able to BB Log multiple controllers prior to the release of v8?

Blacky
October 4th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I was just thinking about previous statements regarding BB logging and the upcoming V8 software. Since the BB Logging is based on the v8 framework, and ported to work with the V7 software, and since it has been stated that in v8, you will be able to monitor multiple controllers at the same time (ie: Duramax ECM & TCM), will the V2 be able to BB Log multiple controllers prior to the release of v8?

Yes - limited to two controllers simultaneously (i.e. ECM and TCM) but that can be expanded in future if needed.

There is one small limitation with the V7 software and that is you can't log the same parameter from both controllers. i.e. you can't log ECM.RPM and TCM.RPM. That limitiation is removed in the V8 software.

Regards
Paul

Cougar281
October 4th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Yes - limited to two controllers simultaneously (i.e. ECM and TCM) but that can be expanded in future if needed.

There is one small limitation with the V7 software and that is you can't log the same parameter from both controllers. i.e. you can't log ECM.RPM and TCM.RPM. That limitiation is removed in the V8 software.

Regards
Paul

{Arnold}Coooooooolllll...{/Arnold}

:D

Edit: I was just thinking, will the two controllers then share the total channels? Currently, I usually log 32 channels to keep resolution reasonable, so if I where to log my usual 32 from the ECM, would logging from the TCM then add to those 32 and reduce sample rate?

Blacky
October 7th, 2007, 10:45 PM
An update: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6378
Regards
Paul

Blacky
October 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Another update thread:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=57176#post57176